: 1999 STS - Timesert question

mvalentino2
01-09-06, 05:09 PM
On a 1999 STS Seville Norstar - Can I install timeserts myself? If so, how is it done and where do I get the parts necessary to do so? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ranger
01-09-06, 05:45 PM
:welcome: Sure you can do it yourself if you have the equipment. You must drop the drivetrain from the bottom. Remove the heads, drill out the bolt holes, retap them and install the Timeserts. You can get the kit here http://www.timesert.com/. I think it is about $300 and comes with 10 serts so you need to buy 10 more. I believe I saw a thread once with pictures of the proceedure. Do a search and you may find it. If not here, it may be at caddyinfo.com

mvalentino2
01-09-06, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I have a few more questions. Do I have to install timeserts if not needed, this is a 99 Seville STS w/a blown headgasket. I have heard thru other mechanics, there is a problem w/head bolt torque. Have you done any without installing timeserts? Thanks for your help.

zonie77
01-09-06, 07:02 PM
Go to the head gasket thread in tech tips section. It has a link to an article on it.

It is highly recommended to timesert them even if they look good but that is up to you. A couple of guys have had one strip on final torqueing (without timeserting). I'm sure some blocks don't need it so you can decide when you pull it apart.

Ranger
01-09-06, 09:30 PM
Timeserting ALL 20 holes is insurance. Easier to do while it is out and apart rather than ,as Zonie said, after final torqueing. As he mentioned some have had the threads pull on reassembly. Others have had them last 10K, then had to pull the engine and do it all over again.

zonie77
01-09-06, 11:58 PM
Check ebay or possibly post here for a used set. You'll have to buy the inserts but the tools don't wear out and most sets only get one or two uses.

zonie77
01-09-06, 11:59 PM
Where are you located?

mvalentino2
01-10-06, 05:25 AM
Richmond, VA