: Buick Enclave = SRX beater?

miked
01-09-06, 05:07 PM
This is one stunning vehicle:

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4727&hl=

I remember reading a while back that the SRX was supposed to be completely revamped in 2007, but they pushed that back "indefinitely," and we're just receiving an interior freshening instead.

Hopefully they didn't push back the complete revamping too far back, as the Enclave -- if the production interior is anywhere close to the concept interior -- looks like it'll eat the SRX's lunch, and will probably be cheaper to boot.

GM can't seem to figure out how to position Cadillac vis-a-vis Buick. The Lucerne, for instance, is basically a rebadged DTS, at thousands less. Same problem here?

sgilbert
01-09-06, 05:26 PM
I like it!

How 'bout this SRX beater:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehicle_Reviews/SUVs_Wagons/Preview_2007_Lincoln_MKX.S181.A9853.html

Pete Benson
01-09-06, 05:34 PM
This is one stunning vehicle:

Stunning is the word alright - if the Enclave doesn't give new meaning to the words butt-ugly, I don't what the hell does. It's almost as overstyled as the original Oldsmobile Aurora, something I didn't believe was possible.
Interior styling notwithstanding ( and I happen to like it ), overall the SRX is infinitely better looking than the Enclave.

c5 rv
01-09-06, 07:06 PM
Stunning is the word alright - if the Enclave doesn't give new meaning to the words butt-ugly, I don't what the hell does. It's almost as overstyled as the original Oldsmobile Aurora, something I didn't believe was possible.
Interior styling notwithstanding ( and I happen to like it ), overall the SRX is infinitely better looking than the Enclave.

I agree. The rear quarter and back end are especially ugly. Then again, I don't like the front end, either. It looks like the next step of the GM minivan. Someone at GM today said the Enclave would be made at the new Lansing Delta Township plant.

caddydaddy
01-09-06, 10:02 PM
Buick is all about the portholes on the fenders lately, aren't they!

That does look like a Lexus Minivan! The interior is nice though.

djfcars
01-09-06, 11:22 PM
When I turn 85, maybe I'll consider a Buick. I'll stick by Cadillac on this one!

miked
01-10-06, 12:58 AM
Well, things like a six-speed transmission and a rear-view camera would be nice. The Enclave is likely going to be cheaper, and as a result, I don't see how the SRX stays competitive, since as a Cadillac, it should have more and better features than the Enclave.

I read on another site (which I can't remember right now) that GM is considering cancelling the SRX after 2008, due to slow sales, and replacing it with a more "wagon-like" product (which I don't understand, as I don't see how you can get more wagon-like than an SRX without actually being a wagon).

miked
01-10-06, 01:03 AM
Here's the link about SRX being cancelled/replaced.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/index.php?page=future_guide#2007

gman89
01-10-06, 01:53 PM
That's the interior that should have been in the SRX from the start.

augieman
01-10-06, 02:31 PM
I disagree. I think there should be options.

The current SRX interior I agree is terrible (especially the 60/40 2nd row and terribly designed 3rd row).

But I will pass on cars that only offer bench seats everywhere. Think about it. They went through all that trouble to add a 3rd row, yet it can only at it's BEST carry ONE more person than a car. Sure, those 6 will be very comfortable. What if they need luggage or shopping bags?

I don't see how one can load that Enclave up with ANY luggage with that almost fulll length center console.

miked
01-10-06, 02:45 PM
I've seen some vehicles where when you fold the second/third row bucket seats, they are flat/flush with the center console.

rodster111
01-10-06, 03:00 PM
I really love the looks of the interior on the Enclave, this is what the SRX should have, but on the outside, like all current Buicks, it doesn't really WOW me.

Does anyone else see the resemblance to a VW Toureg in the rear veiw of the Enclave?

That said, I do think this is the best looking Buick in a long time.

Katshot
01-11-06, 07:53 AM
In any "new" vehicle design, I think you're going to be able to see items that remind you of other vehicles. This may be good or bad. That depends on your opinion of the other vehicle(s). Designers intentionally use "cues" from other cars all the time for various reasons and that's not likely to stop anytime soon. As a whole, I like the Buick in the pictures. REALLY like the interior! Yeah, there's a little resemblence in the rear to both the Lexus RX and the VW Toureg, and maybe that will change before the Enclave hits showroom floors but, either way, that's one HOT-ass vehicle for Buick and I hope it sells well for them.

60 special
01-11-06, 08:50 AM
Cadillac has never figured out what the SRX is really about. They introduced it with the V-8 and all the options and it priced out at $58,000. For about $4,000. more you could buy an Escalade and many people did.

Then they dropped down with the 6 cylinder and the price became more reasonable. but the damage may have been done. They are going to give it one more shot and if it doesn't work, it'll go away.

Katshot
01-11-06, 09:16 AM
IMO, Cadillac has never had a solid plan for it's SUV line (that they stuck with anyways).
Originally, Cadillac had planned a "car-based" SUV. This was before the Escalade. They played around with it so long that they got behind the ball when Lincoln dropped the Navigator on the market. It was a hit and that caused GM to scramble for something to counter with. Unfortunately, the only thing they had in the pipe was the ever-evolving car-based SUV and the Chevy Tahoe and it's derivatives. This was REALLY bad timing because GM was about to release the new GM800 platform SUVs but they were too far off yet (over a year) They quickly cobbled together a Navigator competitor and called it Escalade. The initial model didn't do well mainly (IMO) due to some lame styling that was meant to seperate it from the Chevy/GMC product but only made it look like the thinly descised re-badge it was. But it DID get a little attention. The following year, GM gave Cadillac it's own version of the GM800 SUV with some REALLY edgy styling. It was a gamble but what the hell. Cadillac figured this would only need to be a stop-gap product because their "car-based" SUV would be coming soon. Surprise, surprise, what happened next caught GM TOTALLY off guard. The stop-gap Escalade was a hit! It was scramble time again at Cadillac. Time to reaccess all their SUV plans. Now it was full-speed ahead with Escalade and that meant it was time to launch a Cadillac version of everything they had which brought us the EXT and ESV. The rest is HISTORY.
Now comes the SRX. This was the "next big thing" from Cadillac. The Escalade gave them big brass balls and they figured they could do no wrong in the SUV market. IMO, the SRX proves they were wrong. It's selling but the SRX is NOT what I believe Cadillac envisioned. The Escalade was simple. They took a good product and gave it a Cadillac twist. Piece of cake. The SRX was much more Cadillac content and showcased just how clueless they are about their target market.
I think Cadillac DOES need a mid-sized SUV but IMO, the SRX missed the target.

Caddy Man
01-11-06, 09:25 AM
That buick looks great, and the interior is very nice, thats what they need to put ina prodcution vehicle!! If you look at the climate control and the radio, it already is made to be a production GM interior and not some off the wall concept we will never see. I see buick is using a lot of cues from VW. The back of the enclave reminds me of the Toureg and the rear of the Lucerne reminds me of the Phaeton.

Larry05
01-11-06, 10:23 AM
Is that an Ultraview type roof?

When Caddy cancels the SRX in 2008, they are going to take a beating on SRX's coming off leases. Mine expires in 2/08 and they are going to get it back and I return to Lexus.

miked
01-11-06, 03:11 PM
Note that the article I posted did not say that the SRX is definitively going to be cancelled . . . .

This is one area that I wish GM would take a cue from the Japanese makers, and just "make it better" the second time around, instead of pulling the plug. All the basics are there on the SRX. It just needs some more quality control, and some refinement in the interior (and by 2008/2009, added goodies like six-speed transmission, better climate control options for the rear passengers, etc.). And of course some better marketing.

Johan Ahlqvist
01-13-06, 08:51 AM
It would be strange if they stop the production of the SRX, her in europe it is the only car that Cadillac realy marketing. I have to say that the SRX is one of the best midsize SUV on the market. I canīt understand why so many americans prefer Lexus befor other car makers, in europe Lexus donīt have a chance, boring look and no fun to drive.