: 95 Deville howl's near the belt

yafuturehubbie
01-08-06, 08:26 PM
hey guys i have a little problem, i have a 95 deville and and the other day the belt snapped so me and a friend of mine changed it and the girl at the autozone gave me the little packet of "belt dressing" so we put it on and then about a couple of days later the dam thing has started screeching, so i figured let me just give it a couple of days and maybe it might go away, well it got to the point that i just figured let me buy some more belt dressing, well point is i put some on and it has just gotten worse, so a friend of mine told me he had the same problem and just to empty the bottle on there and it should go away, lol yea so much for that now the belt doesnt screech now it sounds like a howl in the engine right near the belt, which of course must of came from putting to much belt dressing on there, can anyone tell me what do i have to replace or fix so i dont have to have people staring at me when i pull up!!! lol :histeric:

Ranger
01-08-06, 09:25 PM
First get the belt dressing off of all the pullies and the belt. Then inspect the idler and tensioner pullies for a bad bearing.

yafuturehubbie
01-08-06, 09:34 PM
ok once i dry off the belt dressing and then inspect for the bearings what would i do next for example buy the bearings? buy the pulley ? and where would i be able to purchase the pulley because im gussing they dont have pullies at the local autozone right ?

Ranger
01-08-06, 10:04 PM
Well, I don't know what your abilities are but, I have disassembled pullies before that are not ment to be disassembled, replaced the bearing and put it back together ($8 bearing vs $65 pully). Barring that, try http://www.rockauto.com or http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

caddydaddy
01-08-06, 11:03 PM
The idler pulleys with bearings are sold at Autozone. I replaced both of mine on my '94 Deville. They're cheap too!

C170B
01-08-06, 11:25 PM
Examine all the pulleys for small damage to the grooves , stone kicked up into belt ,etc. a slight nick caused noise in my N* . Mechanic dressed with file and solved that problem.

There is an after market belt w add'l diaganol grooves . Appears to be a superior replacement belt.

I used spray belt dressing for months to quieten the squeal until mechanic didi the definitive repair.

yafuturehubbie
01-09-06, 02:20 AM
ok guys i apreciate all your help and i'll try to keep you updated, as far as what i think im going to do is buy the idler pulley and the belt tensioner pulley and replace both of them as they are only about 15 each, reason being is because it seems those 2 pullies seem to go bad after a while and the car does have 150k miles on it, and i dont ever want it being a problem again in the future lol

yafuturehubbie
01-09-06, 09:59 AM
lol just my luck , i turned it on this morning warmed it up for about 2 min and then when i went to go pull off and turn about 2 seconds later i heard a weird noise and the howling stopped but then it sounded like something was rubbing, when i went to go look, the dam pulley on the water pump was bent (not the pulley itself, but i guess the end of the water pump), so im guessing im going to have to replace the water pump..

should i replace the belt tensioner and the ider at the same time ?

caddydaddy
01-09-06, 10:26 AM
I guess you found the noise source! Was the water pump leaking? Usually they leak long before the bearing fails.
I'd check the idler pulleys and if the bearings are getting a big noisy or loose as you spin them by hand, I'd replace them. Or if you have a lot of miles on the car, a little preventative replacement might be good!