: P0140 Code

meyema03
01-08-06, 07:16 PM
I got a check engine light today so i decided to scan it and it came up with code P0140 o2 sensor ckt no activity bank 1 sensor 2 i erased the code and started and ran the car for a few minutes then turned it off and did the same thing two more times to try to get the code to come up again nothing.

Correct me if i am wrong but this is the passenger side exhaust oxygen sensor farthest from the manifold

should i replace just that one or the two for that side or all of them or just the one untill i get another code

AllenPacla
01-08-06, 09:31 PM
If the code hasn't come back yet, make a check on the wirings, it might just be case of some poor contact.

dachew
01-11-06, 11:55 AM
First thing I'd like to do is point out that this is my first post to this forum. Please feel free to pile-on the newbie.

This exact sensor was the first and only O2 sensor I've had to replace on my 99'. It has 93k miles. When you go to the auto parts store or to a mechanic, if you are so inclined, you'll find that they will absolutely insist that O2 sensors work together in a delicate ballet of emissions control and must, therefore, be replaced in pairs or, better yet, all 4 at once. I've found this to be mostly untrue. I keep very careful records of fuel consumption on all my vehicles. I could tell you, if I felt like doing the math, exactly how many gallons of gas my Catera has burned since I got it with 26k miles on it. I have a Camaro that I've replaced 02 sensors on that I could give you the exact same information for.

Neither of my vehicles has shown the slightest decrease in gas mileage because I replaced the 02 sensors one at a time. I didn't notice a difference in performance either. Nor durability (my Camaro has 189k miles on it.). If there is some negative effect of replacing 02 sensors individually as they go bad, I have not noticed it.