: No overdive

thehammer
01-08-06, 05:24 PM
96 N* STS

No overdrive on my Caddy - seems the solenoid is gone in the trans? It just suddenly stopped working. Still drives fine, but no overdrive, so the freeway mpg is limited to around 20 or so average. I used to get 24 or so.

I live in an apartment - no tools, no space, so have to have a shop do it for me. Any idea how much this should cost?

Is it "safe" to get this done at a non-dealership trans place like AAMCO??

mcowden
01-08-06, 06:25 PM
96 N* STS

No overdrive on my Caddy - seems the solenoid is gone in the trans? It just suddenly stopped working. Still drives fine, but no overdrive, so the freeway mpg is limited to around 20 or so average. I used to get 24 or so.

I live in an apartment - no tools, no space, so have to have a shop do it for me. Any idea how much this should cost?

Is it "safe" to get this done at a non-dealership trans place like AAMCO??

Look at the first thread in the Northstar forum "Got codes?" and it will tell you how to check them and look them up. Let us know what you find.

thehammer
01-09-06, 12:46 AM
OK, thanks Mike.

Codes are as follows:

PC0171 PC0174 PC0603 PC1520 IR1740

No Codes for IPC, ACM, SDM, TCS, RSS, PZM, RFA, CCP

J.A.O.
01-10-06, 11:29 PM
I had the same thing happen to my car about 6 months ago. It was indeed the solenoids but what was really strange was that there were no codes at all.

thehammer
01-10-06, 11:57 PM
Did you fix yourself, or have a dealer do it? What sort of costs am I looking at here?

nvmyvettes
01-11-06, 12:36 AM
http://www.v8mr2.com/reference/transaxle4.pdf
Check this out for tranny diagnostic!!
Bad sensors on the motor will allso cause you not to have o/d. Are any of those codes solenoid codes? And are they all current or history? I would try disconnecting the negative battery cable to reset the codes drive and and then scan again

zonie77
01-11-06, 11:02 AM
You can get "sticky" solenoids. I had it happen in a 4L60E and it has been a common thread here. No code because the solenoid hasn't hit whatever threshold is needed to set a code but it isn't moving far/fast enough to shift.

Check what nvmyvettes posted first. If not, any shop can change solenoids or if you are inclined you can do it yourself. There are threads with instructions and pics.