: Limited Slip differential- Who's interested.

Cat-a-Tonic
01-06-06, 06:31 PM
Happy New Year every1!

I've been in touch with a company in the States that make a device called the "Phantom grip". This device installs in the rear end and transforms it into a limited slip differential. The company would make custom units for the Catera. Cost would be between $350.00 and $450.00 US dollars.
They would need a rear end to fit the device into. I was thinking about sending them a rearend from a nearby scrap yard, but don't have the funds at this time. Maybe later in the year. Anyone want to pick up the ball and run with it?
Coments? Please!

Jerry O

Boris
01-06-06, 10:27 PM
Wasn't there an LSD offered in Europe ???

Ask the guys at Tanke http://www.tanke.de/ , they do speak English and I remember their yard being covered in Omegas a few years ago.

Might be a cheaper alternative and they do ship.

meyema03
01-07-06, 02:30 AM
call me old fashioned but i dont see how a computer chip can make a limited slip but then again i dont understand a lot of technology on these new cars it seems like a gimick but hell if it works it would be great for the snow

meyema03
01-07-06, 02:33 AM
sorry i misread the post i thought it said phantom chip

MyOpel
01-08-06, 07:27 PM
I'm definitely interested in getting an LSD, however Id rather have one that is stock (from a Euro car)
I looked at a few scrap yards and you could pick up a diff for around $230(97)-$400(01) CND

NJ_Catera
01-08-06, 08:11 PM
maybe I'm blind but I saw the word "chip" nowhere in that post. I saw "a device called Phantom Grip".

Cat-a-Tonic
01-08-06, 09:26 PM
Hi guys and gals,

I want to see if there's enough interset in getting posi-traction for the 'Cats'. You can enter "Phantom grip" in an search engine and it'll all be explained for you. I need 10 people to commit to buying the units at between $350 and $450 USD. And I (or someone) needs to get a rear axle to the company for installing & testing. They mainly make the 'PG' for front wheel drives but can fit the device into a rear end differential.
I might also consider persuing getting headers custom built from the company in Europe that did supply them for a while, if this project is successfull.

Cheers,

Jerry O

Warez
01-10-06, 12:37 PM
I've been looking into an LSD for a while as well.

The Euro versions were available with them from the factory so that may be the cheaper solution.

Would anyone also happen to know the manufacturer of our differentials? I suspect that it is either ZF or Getrag since they are both large GM suppliers that are also based from Germany where our cars were built. The Omegas also had an optional Getrag 5-spd manual transmission, so I suspect Getrag also built our differentials. More than likely our differentials may have been used in other Europeans cars such as BMW's etc. If this is indeed the case, sourcing an LSD would be even easier.

BTW anyone know the size of the ring gear?