Cadillac Owners Forum banner

tire roar?

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Rboughne1 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I just recently bought a 2006 sts-v with 95k on it from California. The car looks almost new, and has been very well maintained. However, the car has very prominent tire roar at just about any speed. Or at least I think that's what it is. It sounds almost exactly like a lifted truck with oversized off road tires. The car seems to run and drive perfectly fine. And the tires are bridgestone potenza' s with only 10k on them. The noise also doesn't seem to differ in a turn, and he had the wheel bearings changed 45k miles ago. do you think I should be worried on my 600 mile trip home?

#2 ·
Sounds like bearings again.

#5 ·
Could be bearings but I'm still thinking tires. I checked the pressure this morning and it was 41 psi on every tire! I went down to 31 psi in each and the noise seems to have decreased. But it still makes some noise. Mostly around 40-50 mph. Highway speeds seem to be when I hear the noise the least.

#7 ·
I have a 2007 sts v that I had Bridgestone re 970 on it and they were terrible they were loud had less then 5k on tires switched to a bridgestone run flat and it got worse adjust psi to 28 front and 30 rear ride go better but not how a cadillac should ride after a week I took the run flat off car and put Bridgestone Turanza serenity still 28psi front & 30 psi rear and a the ride is unbelievable would recommend these tires

#8 ·
That is interesting. I just bought my car, and ir came with the serenity tires (brand new too) and I think the noise level is unacceptable for this car. Can't wait to get new tires. Maybe this car just makes too much tire noise? By the way, I thought it was the bearings, so those were replaced immediately.

#12 ·
Sorry gonna bring this one up again as I am seeing similar on my car and seeing both tires and bearings discussed. Just got it, it is lowered and has mis-matched tires on it, front are Yokohama ENVigor, rear are OHSU FP9000. Inside corners of the frotns are rounded as is common..

I find it interesting everyone insists it is bearings, I mean I know bearings go out on these cars, but anyone been around different vehicles and lot of tires knows that some tires are just bloody noisey versus others. My car in particular is very noise on most surfaces, but if I get in the brand new paved lane on local freeway the sound pretty much vanishes. This lane is glass smooth pavement still <1yr old. That to me says it is a tire issue as a bearing will not just stop making noise based on a smoother surface, they either roar (bad) or do not?

Are there any physical checks, or driving tests that can be done to really narrow down if it is a bearing or tires? Turning and no change in tone/pitch? Do these bearings get loose side to side or extra play that could be checked by jacking the car up? I am planning to get the aligment reset in the near future, so a set-up on an old thread to stop the inner corner wear, would like to do some cheking of the bearings at the same time if I could.

#13 ·
Just had a bearing replaced on my car and diagnosed at les Schwab since I know the guys I was with them when they did it lift the car and while spinning the tire you can feel the shock if there's any kind of vibration it's the bearing but from what you describe sounds like tires to me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.