: Adding third row???

King of Clubs
01-06-06, 01:46 AM
I'm a new SRX owner and was wondering the possibility of adding a third row in place of the cargo mgmnt system? I know there is an issue with the power, but cadillac adds this feature for $1,100 and the deal I got for one I bought was too good to pass up. It has everything I want except for the third row. I would pay Cadillac the $1,100 to install the third row. Is that an option? I got the car/suv at a steal so the added $1,100 out of pocket for this feature is still worth it. Anyone know where I can get one?

caddycruiser
01-06-06, 07:26 AM
That would not only be harder to do than it's worth, but would also be a LOT more expensive, since you'd have to retrofit everything.

Sorta like the power rear liftgate for '06--unless you had it from the factory, it would cost an arm and a leg and take too much time to retrofit. With something as important as a third row in a somewhat odd vehicle like the SRX, either get it from the start, or you may as well just trade yours in for a new one with it.

Now if it were something like a Chevy Tahoe, that really isn't too hard and I've seen it done, but in a crossover like the SRX where the parts between a car w/ and one w/o the seat are so different inside, it really isn't worth it. Well, unless you know of a local salvage yard that has a 3rd row equipped SRX you could take a LOT of parts from...

Just a simple note: Overlook things like wheels, or even leather seat coverings and sunroofs (all can be easily done aftermarket), but never "skip over" things like another row of seats just because the deal is good.

inline6
01-06-06, 03:00 PM
The wrecking yard option would be your best bet. You could get all the pieces in one shot which would be easier and much cheaper than going through the parts department. Many of the yards are networked and can search country wide.

Another option would be to place a classified to see if you can dfind someone who would want to get rid of their 3rd seat.

miked
01-06-06, 11:02 PM
I think it would still be difficult. There are a lot of interior pieces that are different because of the third row, let alone the second row folding back seat (to access the third row), and the electronics involved. You'd have to wire the wiring harness from the back to the battery, etc., etc.

c5 rv
01-07-06, 09:42 PM
Did the dealer imply that this was possible to get you to buy the unit he had in stock? Aside from that, I don't see why anyone would buy a $40-50K vehicle that wasn't exactly what they wanted. Personally, unless you're planning to carry really small kids, I think the 3rd seat is useless.