: Recall notice - Reprogram ECM

Larry05
01-05-06, 05:23 PM
We received a notice that we had not had a recall service performed on our 05 SRX V6 to reprogram the ECM for excessive writing to the ECM.

Do you think this is the same re-flashing of the ECM that I read about some time ago for V8's in which the performance was diminished afterwards?

Anyone know what this reprogramming does? Have not had any problems with anything the ECM is controlling that I know of. So, I may just decide to skip.

ewill3rd
01-05-06, 05:57 PM
There should be a campaign number listed on the document somewhere.
It might be 05524, if you tell me the campaign number I can tell you what it's for.

dmc22
01-05-06, 07:49 PM
I had it done and it didn't change the performance any. I did notice a quick drop in the rpms when you take your foot off the gas and my gas mileage dropped about 1 mile per gallon. I'm still waiting for the mileage to gets better after the engine breaks in.

Larry05
01-06-06, 10:12 AM
There should be a campaign number listed on the document somewhere.
It might be 05524, if you tell me the campaign number I can tell you what it's for.
I am at work but, if my magnificent memory serves me, that is the number.

ewill3rd
01-06-06, 10:35 AM
It's actually for a theft deterrent problem.

All 2004 Cadillac CTS, SRX; Buick Rendezvous and certain 2005 Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; Buick Rendezvous, LaCrosse / Allure model vehicles, equipped with a 3.6L V6 (RPO LY7 - VIN 7) or 2.8L V6 (RPO LP1 - VIN T) engine, have an Engine Control Module (ECM) programming error, which can cause ECM memory damage resulting in the inability to start the engine. Cadillac vehicles will also display the message, "Starting Disabled, Remove Key" on the Driver Information Center. All vehicles will set a Diagnostic Test Code (DTC) of P1631 when the condition occurs.

It does really wipe out the computer memory because it's a pretty intense software update.
You may notice a slight difference in the way it drives when the calibration is done but only because the shift adapts will be reset and the fuel control values will all default back to "zero".
After a short period of driving it should return to normal.

Larry05
01-08-06, 04:22 PM
excessive writes toi ecm does not seem to be the same as theft deterrent.

ewill3rd
01-08-06, 04:48 PM
The PCM and the theft deterrent module work together as a system. If the ECM memory basically becomes scrambled because of this software glitch the ECM will set theft codes and the car won't start.
There are even two separate programming sequences on this vehicle for the VTD system, one for the passkey III system and one for the PCM, different procedures are used based on which module you are servicing.

Quadrasteer
01-27-06, 01:49 PM
Would this also apply to an '05 V8?

ewill3rd
01-28-06, 10:38 AM
I think there is a campaign for the V8 but it has a different number.
It's essentially the same thing.
A phone call to your dealer with the last 8 digits of the VIN will let them and you know whether or not there are any open campaigns on your vehicle.

Devil_concours
01-28-06, 11:39 AM
ewill3rd,
you're not the shop foreman at lindsay are you?

ewill3rd
01-28-06, 04:08 PM
Not yet ;) :D

Devil_concours
01-28-06, 09:25 PM
Not yet ;) :D
you guys have 2 foreman at lindsay right? Really old gentleman and the guy with the mustache.

ewill3rd
01-28-06, 10:32 PM
Yeah, Frank is the older guy who's nearing retirement age.
He's still a pretty sharp cookie.

Carter is the other one you are talking about, but he shaved off his mustache a couple weeks ago.
He was either too tired to shave this morning or he's trying to grow a beard in place of is stache.

They hide me in the back, accross the street by the car wash.
I have too much junk to fit in one of the stalls in the main building

Devil_concours
01-28-06, 10:55 PM
Yeah, Frank is the older guy who's nearing retirement age.
He's still a pretty sharp cookie.
Carter is the other one you are talking about, but he shaved off his mustache a couple weeks ago.
He was either too tired to shave this morning or he's trying to grow a beard in place of is stache.
They hide me in the back, accross the street by the car wash.
I have too much junk to fit in one of the stalls in the main building
Frank was a pleasure to deal with. Very friendly
Carter on the other hand....

PM sent

wbyrum
01-28-06, 11:29 PM
ewill3rd

I apologize for using this thread to contact you instead of using the private messaging, but the site doesn't seem to recognize me as a registered member for some reason and therefore I cannot PM you.

Anyway, since you are a Cadillac technician, I was wondering if you could tell me if there is any effect of ECM#12597805 on the 2006 V8 AWD SRX? This is the problem of "detuning" the fuel control response to reduce driveline lash in the 2004 and 2005 AWD V8 SRXs. This situation was described elaborately in john d's thread "0-60 V8 Awd".

I am considering ordering a 2006 V8 AWD SRX, but if this problem has not been solved without reducing the performance, I don't want a 2006 V8 AWD SRX.

Thanks for any info you can provide on this situation

ewill3rd
01-29-06, 04:24 PM
I am not really sure what kind of info I can give you on that one.
I don't think I read that thread yet.
I'll see if I can find it and maybe get back to you.

Devil_concours
01-29-06, 06:23 PM
I am not really sure what kind of info I can give you on that one.
I don't think I read that thread yet.
I'll see if I can find it and maybe get back to you.

here is the thread
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42836
I initially suspected that pcm needs to recalibrate itself but i guess that wasn't the case

syrob@MSN.COM
01-29-06, 06:50 PM
here is the thread
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42836
I initially suspected that pcm needs to recalibrate itself but i guess that wasn't the case
No it was not, I had the problem for several months and only the "Hesitation" flash fixed it.

SYROB

Larry05
01-30-06, 09:52 PM
I'm not doing the re-flash. This is a worthless recall.

DarylNichols
03-06-07, 06:48 PM
can you help me post a message I am having problems with my 1994 concours my grandfather bought it new and I have all service work done on car. It is getting to much fuel when starting. If you put new plugs in it the car will run as long as you don't cut it off. While the car is running it performs like it should but after turned off. It is hard to start in fact it may be needed to place foot pedal on floor and hold it to start; this way after it starts seems ok until it is turned off then 3 or 4 times later it won't start. then, must pull plugs to get to start again. HELP.. Thanks D