: Changing Serpentine Belt

fristim
12-24-03, 09:14 PM
Whats the procedure for changing out the serpentine belt for a 98 deville concours. I was thing that the tensioner had to be removed but I was just checking first. Thanks in advance!!!

DaveSmed
12-25-03, 12:05 AM
Nope, the tensioner does not need to be removed. First, draw a picture of the path the belt takes around all of the pulleys if there is not one on your car already. Get either a 3/4 or a 1/2 inch drive ratchet (I forget which one exactly) and look for a square hole on the tensioner. Put the drive of the ratchet in there and use it to pull the tensioner away from the belt. If you hear a snap, and the tensioner has no more tension, the spring went. This happens, and usually this item is in stock at parts stores. When you have the belt off, match it up with your new one to make sure they are the same legnth. Start out at the lowest pulley and start working your way around to the tensioner. When you finally get it routed on all of the pulleys, use the wrench, pull the tensioner back, and slip the belt on.

Rich_M
12-26-03, 07:14 AM
It's a 1/2 inch drive and a fairly easy job to tackle. Just be careful that the belt is seated in the grooves of the pullies before you start the engine. Job shouldn't take more than 10 minutes including drinking a beverage and patting yourself on the back when done.

Are you doing the belt for the water pump also? That's the little one on the opposite end of the Northstar engine.

Regards,
Rich

fristim
12-26-03, 03:34 PM
Nope, the tensioner does not need to be removed. First, draw a picture of the path the belt takes around all of the pulleys if there is not one on your car already. Get either a 3/4 or a 1/2 inch drive ratchet (I forget which one exactly) and look for a square hole on the tensioner. Put the drive of the ratchet in there and use it to pull the tensioner away from the belt. If you hear a snap, and the tensioner has no more tension, the spring went. This happens, and usually this item is in stock at parts stores. When you have the belt off, match it up with your new one to make sure they are the same legnth. Start out at the lowest pulley and start working your way around to the tensioner. When you finally get it routed on all of the pulleys, use the wrench, pull the tensioner back, and slip the belt on.

How do you get it from around the tensioner doesnt seem to be enough space between the tensioner and the block to get the belt out!!

fristim
12-26-03, 03:36 PM
How do you get the serpentine belt from around the tensioner doesnt seem to be enough space between the tensioner and the block to get the belt out!!

Rich_M
12-28-03, 03:20 PM
Pull on the tensioner, remove belt from large pulley then you will be able to turn belt on edge and slide down along side the tensioner and out.

Regards,
Rich