: fwd wheels?

VlaDeMaN
03-10-03, 08:04 PM
what is the deal with fwd wheels i see on some sites

elwesso
03-10-03, 10:37 PM
I have never seen anything about FWD wheels being different than any other wheel. Post a link to what your talking about.

jadcock
03-11-03, 09:25 AM
It used to be that FWD wheels had much different offsets than RWD wheels. Nowadays, I think all are pretty much the same.

Katshot
03-11-03, 01:52 PM
Maybe this link will shed some light on the issue for you.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/offset.htm
FWD wheels tend to have more positive off-set due to the bulk of the hub/bearing assemblies.

VlaDeMaN
03-11-03, 05:25 PM
oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

so thats the only diff, eh? my friend wants to get some rims for his 99 stang gt, but as he was looking he found nice ass wheels, but it said they wwere fwd. could he interchange them?

jadcock
03-11-03, 06:54 PM
He really needs to get the wheels to fit his application. He needs to look at three things, as I can see it.

1) He needs to consider the bolt circle. The wheel has to physically bolt to the Mustang.

2) He needs to know the actual size of the wheel, to fit his existing tires, or to fit tires he plans on buying.

3) He needs to consider the offset, or backspacing. If he can find out what the specs on his current wheels are, that can make it easier. Otherwise, he needs to stick to looking through catalogs and looking at wheels listed for his car. Otherwise, it's purely guess work. It may work, and it may not. Again, finding the specs on his current wheels are important if he wants to buy wheels that aren't listed for his car.

VlaDeMaN
03-11-03, 07:23 PM
yeha, thats pretty obvious, the wheel specs fit his car requirements, but they were simply fwd...

87CoupeDeVille
03-12-03, 04:08 AM
What exactly would happen if you put the wrong type of wheels on a car, I'm sure there's a reason, but what is it?

Kurt

Katshot
03-12-03, 09:58 AM
The wrong wheels can mean many things. In general, by "wrong" I'm assumming you mean dimensionally. Assumming that the wheels properly fit the tires, that will just cause a clearance problem.
The other issue that most people forget about is load capacity. Wheels have a specific load capacity. If you put wheels on a 5000 pound vehicle that were only designed for a 3000 pound vehicle, you could have a catastophic failure at anytime. The wheel could virtually just blow apart with no warning.

jadcock
03-12-03, 10:46 AM
In addition to the things Katshot mentioned, there are issues like wheel bearing life and alignment to deal with. It's really best to stick to the recommended wheels, or wheels listed to fit your particular application.

For example, all modern FWD Cadillacs have the same bolt pattern and same general offset. And they're all about the same weight, give or take 500 pounds. These wheels generally interchange with each other. If your friend knows about direct interchanges with the Mustangs (like Mark VIIIs maybe?), he can probably work with it that way, but forewarn him about the dangers that are mentioned here.

elwesso
03-12-03, 04:50 PM
Its not as easy with cars that are heavier. With ricers, you could put anything on there, and it wouldnt be heavy enough or go fast enought to mess up the wheels.

87CoupeDeVille
03-13-03, 03:36 AM
By wrong type, I meant wrong as in RWD wheels on a FWD car, or vice versa, I just dont understand that whole offset thing.

Kurt

Katshot
03-13-03, 08:54 AM
Kurt,
Did you check out the page I listed in my post? It explains the whole thing.