: '95 Eldorado start-up getting more "difficult"

rrs814
01-04-06, 05:59 PM
I've owned 4 caddys, and never seen this. It's almost like it has a carb! Gotta give it some gas to start, and sometimes it'll die, but then start right up afterward. Today, it was "tough", then I smelled a strong "fuel-like" smell. BEFORE I call my dealer/service rep, I'm hoping you guys can point me in some kind of direction. As always, THANKS!

fpmesiIII
01-04-06, 06:11 PM
sounds like leaky fuel injectors

mcowden
01-04-06, 07:16 PM
Or a leaking fuel pressure regulator. Use the Search feature above and look for FPR. You'll find what you need to diagnose and fix it. It's an easy and relatively inexpensive fix.

Dialtone98
01-05-06, 10:37 AM
I had the same problem and it was the fuel regulator on the top of the engine inline with the rail that supplies the gas to the injectores. Cost about $62.00

mcowden
01-05-06, 10:45 AM
I had the same problem and it was the fuel regulator on the top of the engine inline with the rail that supplies the gas to the injectores. Cost about $62.00

Good information, Dialtone98, thanks for posting and :welcome: to Cadillac Forums!

eldorado1
01-05-06, 11:13 AM
FPR x 3,

But if you're smelling fuel, have you had the recall work done? Don't want you bursting into flames now..

Ken Seliga
01-05-06, 07:01 PM
Remember there is a recall notice from Caddy to replace the Fuel Rails the original ones were plastic/vinyl .If yours are black, then the recall has not been done..The replacement is stainless steel and there should be a sticker upon the top left strut with the recall number..Search this forum for the recall..Mine was done by Cadillac for free, just by making an appointment...The old fuel rail would split under pressure and could cause an engine "Fire"..

auroradude
01-07-06, 02:27 AM
That sound like the recall. Your gonna blow up if you dont get that done.

denscor
01-12-06, 06:13 AM
On the recall, do you have to be the orginial owner? I'm the third and is there a mileage limit? The car is a 1995 STS.

jadcock
01-12-06, 08:04 AM
You do not have to be the original owner for the recall...it's a safety recall...whomever owns the car now can have it done.

Also, if you need a new FPR, you don't have to purchase the whole thing. GM sells a rebuild kit for about $15 (when I bought it a few years ago) and it includes all the seals and screens you need for the inside. I just needed the lower most o-ring, and was glad I didn't have to buy the whole thing.

auroradude
01-12-06, 09:59 AM
I bought the whole FPR, not a big deal. Though i havent installed it yet cause im real lazy...but the mechanic said there was gas inside it when he took it off. I hope it doesnt screw around with the motor cause theres gas in it.