: Gas-saving gadgets article

mcowden
01-03-06, 10:19 PM
I think this has been posted here before, but just in case, here it is again. Have you ever wondered if those fuel line magnets, the Tornado, and water vapor injectors really do anything for your gas mileage? Popular Mechanics put them to the test and you can see for yourself what the results are. By now, you've probably already guessed the answer. Enjoy!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/auto_technology/1802932.html

capn
01-03-06, 11:40 PM
well, from what ive learned the most gas mileage trick is a well maintained engine and NOT having a lead foot.

i have over 145,000 miles on my 94 eldorado, and i get 25-27mpg on my highway trips depending on if i obey the speed limit more or less.

94CaddyConcours
01-05-06, 05:17 PM
I think this has been posted here before, but just in case, here it is again. Have you ever wondered if those ads for fuel line magnets, the Tornado, and water vapor injectors really do anything for your gas mileage? Popular Mechanics put them to the test and you can see for yourself what the results are. By now, you've probably already guessed the answer. Enjoy!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/auto_technology/1802932.html

If a manufacter have a device for fuel saving economy for a car it would have been on the car in the beginning.

thu
01-06-06, 02:18 AM
I love the last two sentences of the Popular Mechanics article:

"Someone will buy [these worthless gadgets]. Probably not you."

:thumbsup:

dkozloski
01-06-06, 06:04 PM
I worked at a newspaper that was continuously getting barraged with pitches for this kind of stuff. Some of the presentations by the salesmen were so outrageous that they had to have practiced for weeks at keeping a straight face. What's really funny is that this stuff keeps getting recycled. Some of the gadgets have been around in one form or another for nearly 80 years. A common statement is "It may take a week or two for this thing to kick in and really get working". Enough time for the flim-flam man to get out of town. The more expensive it is, the more the buyer lies about and defends his purchase. To get that really great milage you have to do the same thing the other guy does, lie.

dkozloski
01-06-06, 06:12 PM
I was watching a TV show one night where they were supposedly examing one of these gas saving gadgets. I think it was the "Platinum Gas Saver" that is supposed to coat the inside of the combustion chamber with paltinum. The captive engineer came out with the standard engineers response. "That's the most rediculous goddamn thing I ever heard in my life", a true show stopper.

auroradude
01-07-06, 03:24 AM
All of these devices are garbage.