: 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD

fuscob
01-03-06, 08:50 PM
The SRX is my father's car. Having driven his previous Cadillacs, a 2000 SLS and a 2002 STS, I wasn't expecting that much out of the SRX. I didn't hate the Sevilles, but they weren't really up to par with other performance sedans of that price class like the V8 BMW 5-series or the V8 Merc E-class.

This one is loaded with just about everything except for satnav. It has Bose, UltraView, power 3rd row, and the rear-seat DVD player, not to mention it's the top-level trim (V8 with all wheel drive).

The driving experience, especially considering it's an SUV, is phenomenal. It handles really well - I was very impressed. The power from the new VVT Northstar is a lot better than that of the '02 STS, despite a modest 20-hp gain. It's very comfortable as well, and the Bose stereo is great. The bass is so loud that I have to turn my music down at stoplights to avoid looking like a jerk.

The styling is somewhat of a sticking point for some people. Personally, I don't mind the fact that it looks like a tall station wagon - after all, isn't that what most SUVs really are? It's got a street-cruiser look to it like the Dodge Magnum.

If the new STS drives like this (I assume it does after driving this SRX and a CTS), then Cadillac really knows what they're doing now. My only complaint is the interior - some of the plastic looks/feels cheap and there are occasional rattles. Caddy is on the right track with this platform!

caddycruiser
01-08-06, 04:24 PM
The SRX is my father's car. Having driven his previous Cadillacs, a 2000 SLS and a 2002 STS, I wasn't expecting that much out of the SRX. I didn't hate the Sevilles, but they weren't really up to par with other performance sedans of that price class like the V8 BMW 5-series or the V8 Merc E-class.

This one is loaded with just about everything except for satnav. It has Bose, UltraView, power 3rd row, and the rear-seat DVD player, not to mention it's the top-level trim (V8 with all wheel drive).

The driving experience, especially considering it's an SUV, is phenomenal. It handles really well - I was very impressed. The power from the new VVT Northstar is a lot better than that of the '02 STS, despite a modest 20-hp gain. It's very comfortable as well, and the Bose stereo is great. The bass is so loud that I have to turn my music down at stoplights to avoid looking like a jerk.

The styling is somewhat of a sticking point for some people. Personally, I don't mind the fact that it looks like a tall station wagon - after all, isn't that what most SUVs really are? It's got a street-cruiser look to it like the Dodge Magnum.

If the new STS drives like this (I assume it does after driving this SRX and a CTS), then Cadillac really knows what they're doing now. My only complaint is the interior - some of the plastic looks/feels cheap and there are occasional rattles. Caddy is on the right track with this platform!

Your review seems spot on, especially with the interior having quite a few cheap bits and pieces, and the occasional rattles being common.

As far as the STS, it's even BETTER, because it's a true car, through and through, and not trying to do any SUV duty.:thumbsup: