: Interior Problems...

frank_rizzo
01-03-06, 10:51 AM
My driver door panel and driver seat are wearing out prematurely. The dye on the panel and the seat is coming off. At first I thought it was grease\dirt since I driver with my arm on the door panel. So I tried to clean it and it got worst. Then over the weekend I noticed the same thing on my driver side seat. I took it to my dealer and they have someone that can re-dye it. My SRX is only 1 year old so it is covered under warranty. If you have a light color interior you may want to check it and get it repaired before the warranty runs out.

Package
01-03-06, 11:58 AM
We have the ebony interior on our Redline 04 V8. The door panel is ok but it looks like the driveers seat is wearing a little hard/filling with wear lines. I am one of the very anal types and I have a thick black towel on both front seats so I never even have my backside actually touch the seat. :bonkers: :bonkers:
I will need to keep an eye on the seat and see how it plays out.....

john d
01-03-06, 05:23 PM
Having my new SRX for a whole week I ran it through a car wash. When I opened the door rinse water must have dripped on my door panel unnoticed at the time.
The next day the drip track had dried with a white residue.
A few days later while playing with the new toy (SRX) I use a damp cloth to wipe away the residue.
The panel dye came with it!
Dealer offered to send it out for repainting at my expense...$100.
Still riding with a marred panel. Armorall helped a little.
So, if you ever want to clean the interior don't use ANY cleaner like 409, etc.

frank_rizzo
01-03-06, 06:45 PM
Just picked up my SRX and the dealer did an excellent job repairing the door panel and seat under warranty. I would tell the dealer that the dye should not come off that easy. Make him fix it !!! It's not like the interior is old and worn out. Bring it back and don't take no for an answer. My deal had someone come right out to the dealership and repaired it. I met the guy and he said the dye they use is water based to make it feel soft like leather. So you do need to becareful not to rub it too hard when cleaning.

Good Luck...

miked
01-04-06, 03:37 PM
This is very fascinating. When we first had our SRX a few weeks, my in-laws visited, and after they left, I noticed some white streaks on the *leather* that I couldn't just remove with water and a cloth, and had to bring out the leather cleaner.

Now, after a 4K mile roadtrip, I've noticed the same thing. I will clean carefully!

b4z
01-05-06, 01:57 PM
The leather in most new cars, except for cars with aniline dyed leather,
has color that is painted on.
So they really aren't dyed.
The reason for this is that aninline and semi-analine dyed leather can only be top quality leather with no blemishes, because they would show through the dye.
With the color painted on it hides the defects, which my SRX has near the top of the seat back.
I had my Impala redyed(painted) several years ago and it looked like new.

One thing you should do is every 3-4months clean and protect the leather seats with a leather cleaner and conditioner. Even though you are applying it over a paint it still keeps the moisture in the finish and stops the leather from cracking.

I use Lexol products.

frank_rizzo
01-06-06, 10:19 AM
Thanks b4z...
I do use Lexol about every 2 months or sooner... Good suggestion.

Package
01-06-06, 10:29 AM
For Xmas I was given a can of the mothers leather wipes/conditioner that you pull out of the top of the plastic contianer. Any feeling about these for quick wipe downs ?

frank_rizzo
01-06-06, 11:30 AM
Yes I use these pull out cleaner wipes all the time. It helps keep the dirt from building up.