: Help with identifying a loose connector in wheel well?

tlarwa
01-02-06, 02:46 PM
I removed my left front wheel this morning to replace the sway bar link, and hanging there was a loose wire with a white "arrow" shaped connector attached to it. The wire runs to one of the two connector-type assemblies mounted to the interior of the wheel well. I looked thorugh my service manual but couldn't identify the part. I'm thinking it may be the speed sensor, or something similar. It is not a brake line or any type of hydaulic line ... it is defintiely electrical. I am attaching an admittedly poor picture of the part. Can anyone identify it and tell me where it is supposed to attach? Thanks.

Vesicant
01-02-06, 05:22 PM
I removed my left front wheel this morning to replace the sway bar link, and hanging there was a loose wire with a white "arrow" shaped connector attached to it. The wire runs to one of the two connector-type assemblies mounted to the interior of the wheel well. I looked thorugh my service manual but couldn't identify the part. I'm thinking it may be the speed sensor, or something similar. It is not a brake line or any type of hydaulic line ... it is defintiely electrical. I am attaching an admittedly poor picture of the part. Can anyone identify it and tell me where it is supposed to attach? Thanks.

That looks like it is a Brake Wear Sensor to me. Is the brake wear light on? Should look like this (O) when lit yellow. It wedges between the brake pad.

A better pic of one properly installed:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/MrHaun/brakesensor.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/MrHaun/brakesensor2.jpg

tlarwa
01-02-06, 08:13 PM
Makes sense, but there are no brake warning lights on at all. I'll pull the wheel off and take a look. Thanks for the help!

stevehogan
01-03-06, 06:50 PM
I too had the lose wire on my Catera (98 - bought it used). It was indeed the wear sensor. The previous owner (who had installed new brake pads) had resolved the warning light issue by removing the bulb.

inconnu
01-03-06, 08:42 PM
I too had the lose wire on my Catera (98 - bought it used). It was indeed the wear sensor. The previous owner (who had installed new brake pads) had resolved the warning light issue by removing the bulb.

Its much easier to jump the sensor with a piece of wire,rather than removing the bulb when i got my rotors changed the sensors in the wheels broke and i didnt wanna spend 100 bucks on the sensors.

stevehogan
01-04-06, 01:18 PM
Absolutely. If you don't have the sensors, use a wire jumper. It's a WHOLE bunch easier than tearing out the dash, plus, if you some day decide to install sensors, your task will be simple. IMHO, my car's previous owner was not bright enough to figure that out. Sort of a dim bulb himself. :rofl: