: 97 deville radiator drain

wooded
01-02-06, 01:07 PM
I'm a new 97 deville owner with 110 k and i'm not a moron, but havn't seen any descriptions for the shuttlecock or drain location for this radiator, seen the outlet tube on the drivers rear side (below air dam)below the radiator, but this fitting doesnt seem to take a 15mm socket ( it fits the hole cut into the dam), I just want to drain and flush the cooling system as there were sandy gooy crystals in the empty overfill resevoir

mcowden
01-02-06, 01:32 PM
I'm a new 97 deville owner with 110 k and i'm not a moron, but havn't seen any descriptions for the shuttlecock or drain location for this radiator, seen the outlet tube on the drivers rear side (below air dam)below the radiator, but this fitting doesnt seem to take a 15mm socket ( it fits the hole cut into the dam), I just want to drain and flush the cooling system as there were sandy gooy crystals in the empty overfill resevoir

The valve is in the same area where you see the drain, but it is on the back side of the radiator just out of view. If you reach down in front of the radiator to that corner of it, you will feel about a 1" thumbscrew-type valve. It's kind of difficult to reach it, but I've found it's easiest from the top side.

If you saw "sandy, gooey crystals" in the pressure tank, once the radiator is empty, dump some distilled water in the surge tank and let it flow through the system to flush out whatever crap is in there. Once that's done draining, close up the valve and fill it up with the 50/50 Dexcool and distilled water mix, making sure to use the supplement installed in the hose. If you use the Search feature above, you will find many, many descriptions of how to properly drain and refill the cooling system. Cooling system maintenance is especially critical to do exactly right on these cars, so it's probably worth your while to do some additional reading to learn the tricks.

wooded
01-02-06, 07:15 PM
thanks mike, i looked and couldn't find it down there, i had removed the overfill with the silly condensor clamp and drained already the goo

C170B
01-02-06, 08:16 PM
Since you are draining the cooling system perhaps you could share an experience with the forum.

The cooling system is supposed to hold 12.5 qts coolant.

Please carefully measure what volume you are able to refill. My experience is an experienced cadillac mechanic could not put 12.5 qts into system, yet he does not think air is in the system.

Air pockets in an aluminum engine's cooling system is to be avoided.

When you add coolant, topping it off, to the Surge Reservior Tank w the radiator cap, keep in mind that the coolant may not be full.

I would appreciate hearing how much coolant you can put into the system.

Ranger
01-02-06, 09:11 PM
You can't put 12.5 qts back in not because there is air in the system, but because you can not drain all of the old coolant out. It helps to use a shop vac in reverse and blow out the system. That will get some of the residual out. As long as the purge line is clear, it will pruge itself of any air after the refill.

powerglide
01-03-06, 04:38 AM
Its like mcowden says.
Almost impossible to reach, and harder to see.
I used a neednose plier and stuck it through the small access hole from under the car to grab the plastic thumbscrew. Even if you get it to turn, it may not start draining until you stick a wire through the hole to unclog the thing....twas my experience.
Good luck

wooded
01-03-06, 09:01 AM
great real world advice thanks

wooded
01-04-06, 01:58 PM
hello all, completed the drain including lower hose and thermo stat, the elusive drain is visible after removing cowl , air cleaner and both upper and lower hoses, but air conditioner hoses do not allow fingers to turn it. i made a tool out of maple (no syrup) wood, cut 3" piece with nut shape 11/16" ( could be anything) to fit a deep socket and a thin slot on the other end to fit over the thumb screw drain, being carefull not to tighten/ close too hard. this was key to drain the lower part of the radiator, as the lower hose draining left the 2" of sludge at the bottom.

powerglide
01-04-06, 06:19 PM
Congrats!

Dadillac
01-04-06, 08:45 PM
Not sure if your drain plug is the same as on the Seville's, but the Seville's can be removed/reinstalled with a 19mm socket.

Don