: Piston Slap ?

crabbycaddycowboy
12-30-05, 09:21 PM
Strange noise coming from the engine I believe. Maybe it's symptomatic of wear-in on the newer cars nowadays? I've heard a low rap noise coming from the engine at around 1450 RPM's +/- 100 RPM (w/radio, a/c, fan all off). It has since diminished a bit since new. I explained the noise to a friend who called it "piston slap." Never heard of this terminology before. Could someone explain?

And, is this normal ?

TIA

CCC

Stoneage_Caddy
12-30-05, 09:44 PM
i dont get alot of "piston slap" when i see these at work , im sure occasionally there are a few ...im gonna move this to the northstar section as i still dont know a whole lot about this powertrain and those guys will beatter serve you

Ranger
12-30-05, 10:23 PM
Use the search feature. You should find a lot of info. Piston slap is basically the piston rocking on the wrist pin and the skirt "slapping" the cylinder wall as the piston reverses direction at TDC. It usually subsides as the pistons heat up and expand.

crabbycaddycowboy
12-31-05, 10:47 AM
Not sure if it is piston slap. Especially after reading your description. That's what somebody told me the noise could be.

It's a low tone rapping noise at appox 1450 RPM. Seems to be less frequent so maybe it's a wear-in condition.

Was wondering if anyone else may have experienced the same. A lot has changed with these cars since my last one.

Thanks for your help.

CCC

blb
12-31-05, 11:24 AM
Check out this site:
www.pistonslap.com

crabbycaddycowboy
12-31-05, 01:06 PM
Great site. Thanks a million!

CCC