: Northstar oil pump

Harry Yarnell
12-30-05, 06:56 PM
What drives the Northstar oil pump? I know it's crank driven, but what locks it to the crank? There's no flat or key. Is it just the harmonic balancer jambed up against the pump that makes it work? Seems kinda Rube for an advanced motor.

mcowden
12-30-05, 07:49 PM
What drives the Northstar oil pump? I know it's crank driven, but what locks it to the crank? There's no flat or key. Is it just the harmonic balancer jambed up against the pump that makes it work? Seems kinda Rube for an advanced motor.

You've got it right. The only thing driving the oil pump is friction between the harmonic balancer and the pump. No gears, no belts, just friction. Low oil pressure issues are sometimes solved by tightening a harmonic balancer bolt that has come loose for whatever reason.

I think a Rube would be more like an oil pump that was driven by a complex system of random household items that included at least one egg, a toaster, and countless various-sized, interesting-looking gears that all worked together in a most ludicrous fashion to drive the oil pump from the crank at a 1:1 ratio. The friction-driven oil pump seems to be almost exactly opposite a Rube, but maybe I'm misunderstanding something. Great reference! I hardly ever hear anyone talk about a Rube. Anyone interested in what the heck a Rube is will find more information than they ever wanted to know by reading this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg

dkozloski
12-30-05, 08:03 PM
A rube Goldberg is ingenuity. A Joe McGee is brute strength and awkwardness; drill a hole through everything you want to turn together, stick a big nail through, and bend it over. A Farmer Brown is to cut it apart with a cutting torch and put it back together with a Lincoln buzz-box welder.

lry99eldo
12-30-05, 08:20 PM
Good one Mike! It's sort of Rube like in the way that flexable, rubber like, flat circle thingy just sort of presses up against the cooler thingy, the battery charger dohicky, the makes the steering easier thing-a-ma-jig, and the..........
lry99eldo

Eldyfig
12-30-05, 08:22 PM
Every now and then, dkozloski comes out of that CTS section to gift us with some of the best little known info. I love it...a Farmer Brown and a Joe McGee. There is always a way to make things work.

dkozloski
12-30-05, 09:13 PM
There are some others as well but there are racial overtones and they are best left unsaid.

Harry Yarnell
12-31-05, 10:38 AM
A 'rube' to me is something mickey mouse; a cobble job, but Mike's description is more historically accurate. Showing my age, I guess.