: Questions about the SRX

chrisl0
12-30-05, 02:34 PM
In 2007 we need to buy a new vehicle. We were considering the Lexus RX 330 until we saw this vehicle. We read many online reviews from professionals and normal drivers and they had many good things to say about this vehicle. The 2005 Consumer Reports Magazine said good things about this vehicle, but we noticed one problem, they said first year reliability was bad. We have the following questions:
1) As a present owners of this vehicle do you have any mechanical problems with your SRX?
2) This will be our first SUV. We presently own a 94’ Honda Accord EX and we would like to know is their a big adjustment in the handling, parking, and drivability of this vehicle?
3) How do you find the trunk space and seating of this vehicle?
4) Does the present model come with a standard remote open power lift gate?
5) Between the V-6 and V-8 there is an $8,000 and 65 HP difference. We do not plan on hauling any trailers and we would like to save on gas. Other than horsepower and price is their a big difference?

Mike_S_30189
12-30-05, 05:16 PM
My thoughts/opinion below.....

In 2007 we need to buy a new vehicle. We were considering the Lexus RX 330 until we saw this vehicle. We read many online reviews from professionals and normal drivers and they had many good things to say about this vehicle. The 2005 Consumer Reports Magazine said good things about this vehicle, but we noticed one problem, they said first year reliability was bad. We have the following questions:
1) As a present owners of this vehicle do you have any mechanical problems with your SRX?

No. I have not had it at the dealership except for normal service.

2) This will be our first SUV. We presently own a 94’ Honda Accord EX and we would like to know is their a big adjustment in the handling, parking, and drivability of this vehicle?

This is a little like "apples and oranges". However, the vehicle is easy to park and is very driveable. Even though this is classified as a SUV, it is more like a small wagon. You should have no issues.

3) How do you find the trunk space and seating of this vehicle?

Mine has third seat which is down most of the time and storage is easy. If you go with third seat, plenty room for"kids" but teen plus with long legs may be crampt if seated for extended period of time.

4) Does the present model come with a standard remote open power lift gate?

Yes - new for 2006

5) Between the V-6 and V-8 there is an $8,000 and 65 HP difference. We do not plan on hauling any trailers and we would like to save on gas. Other than horsepower and price is their a big difference?

Top speed (144 mph for V-8). I have V-6 AWD, plenty of umph. Very satisfied

inline6
12-30-05, 05:31 PM
We have a V6 and for us it is just fine. The difference between the 6 and 8 is noticeable, but not worth the additional cost to us. The only service issue we had was a stereo problem that has been resolved on 05 and up SRXs.

Coming from an Accord, the V6 SRX will likely be your choice, but I would suggest you drive both versions of the SRX and the 330. I would also recommend you get "references" on the dealer you decide to purchase from as many of the problems people have had with SRXs has been due to poor dealer customer service and follow up.

chrisl0
12-30-05, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the information. But I was wondering if either of you have you owned any SUV's before this? If so do you consider this SUV to be the best of all of them that you owned? Also just to mention our Accord has a 4 cylinder engine.

chrisl0
12-30-05, 05:42 PM
We are moving to the Poconos in Pa and this is the reason why we need to purchase this SUV. Since we never purchased a vehicle in this area and we don't know of anyone that lives in this area can you suggest any way to check the dependability of the dealerships that sell Cadillac's?

albertwyang
12-30-05, 06:29 PM
We own a SRX AWD V8 with magnetic ride control.

The additional $8000 buys more than just 65HP. Several packages (seating, luxury, memory, upgraded stereo, etc) all come standard on V8; they all cost extra on V6.

We are very happy with this vehicle and had no mechanical problems so far. I did all routine maintenance myself. This is easily the best vehicle that we’ve ever owned (and yes, we owned other Japanese brands in the past.)

The magnetic ride control does magic to the ride. It reduces fluid viscosity in shock absorbers to make them softer when the vehicle is going over bumps, it stiffen the shocks during normal driving to give you a sports car feel. Stability control is also standard.

The interior could be more luxurious for a SUV in this class, and remote starting should be standard. But overall, drivability, ride and quality are exceptional in my opinion.

chrisl0
12-30-05, 06:56 PM
We own a SRX AWD V8 with magnetic ride control.

The additional $8000 buys more than just 65HP. Several packages (seating, luxury, memory, upgraded stereo, etc) all come standard on V8; they all cost extra on V6.

We are very happy with this vehicle and had no mechanical problems so far. I did all routine maintenance myself. This is easily the best vehicle that we’ve ever owned (and yes, we owned other Japanese brands in the past.)

The magnetic ride control does magic to the ride. It reduces fluid viscosity in shock absorbers to make them softer when the vehicle is going over bumps, it stiffen the shocks during normal driving to give you a sports car feel. Stability control is also standard.

The interior could be more luxurious for a SUV in this class, and remote starting should be standard. But overall, drivability, ride and quality are exceptional in my opinion.

I have also been looking at the Honda Pilot and was wondering what Japanese vehicles you have owned in the past?

robhersch
12-31-05, 01:58 AM
I suggest that you do a "comparative drive" of vehicles you are considering. An "around the block" typical "see & smell" is totally inadequate!! I typically choose a car that I feel comfortable with for at least 10 years!!
We now have a 2005 N*V8 RWD ordered in Nov04, delivered in Jan05. We attended a "competitive drive" at El Toro MCAS, CA in Autumn 03; compared V6s & V8s on both "road" & "off road" courses (only way to compare apples to apples); they had SRXs, MLs, BMWs, Rx330, Acura (some others but don't recall all; spent nearly all day to drive each several times over same courses on same day). Found SRXs #A1 in my judgement. Some had maybe slightly more plush interiors (at significantly more $$$), but none performed as quietly or handled better under the test conditions than the SRXs: V6 vs V6 & V8 vs V8. After the test drives, we tried to order a 2004 V8 RWD/ Blue Chip/ Ebony/ UltraView/ Towing Pkg(for the HD cooling, not towing)/ Bose + (check the list of V8 std goodies); we cancelled after 5 mo without getting a firm delivery date. We then tried again with other less trying test drives of ML, BMW, Rx330; and we concluded to again try to order SRX after 05s introduced. They delivered!! We were and are very pleased!! Had one problem with the instruments - some randomly reset - reported to dealer; he made appt, took it in for a day (gave me loaner for the day), replaced the radio system; no problem since !!
Previously drove Olds Sillhoutte mini-van with 3.8 V6 for 10 years; was satisfied although V6 torque in mountains @ upper fwy speeds marginal; tried other newer minis with more HP & less torque, found unsat.
SRX is almost identical in size to the Olds: has a bit less interior cargo space but ..oh so much more.. very quiet, very comfortable, unbelievable torque (for ~279 cu in) and outstanding performance. My SRX N*V8 (my driving @ 13-14 city/ 19-21 fwy) ~2-3 MPG less than my Olds V6 but worth it to me!!
If most driving in city or flat land, V6 would be good; if much hi-end fwy & driving with the traffic (ala LA to Las Vegas with mountains), the N*V8 should be seriously considered. I would agree that a standard SRX V6 should provide more fuel economy and without $$$ options be considerably less costly than a standard V8; and I would agree that the SRX V6 would be a serious step-up from my Olds (& most other vehicles). Good Luck, get your SRX (unless you plan to do serious off-road, than all bets are off) and enjoy it through the comming Year 2006 and beyond !!!

gman89
12-31-05, 02:54 AM
I have owned two Explorers and an Grand Cherokee. The SRX is very car-like compared to them. It will not be great off-road, but I find the AWD version to be fantastic in snow. I live in Connecticut, and love driving it in snow every chance I get. The stability control system works great. Mine is a V6, but it is faster than my V8 Explorer. It zips up the hills in Connecticut fine.

pagpc
12-31-05, 02:20 PM
i live at 6000' and did not feel the v6 was enough. do you need a third seat? i do, so i didn't want another lexus, altho a great car. much better car than acura mdx. more fun to drive. quality has been great. good dealer as well. easy to work with. look around.

pagpc

b4z
01-02-06, 01:17 PM
For 2007 the SRX will get a brand new upscale interior.

I have the V6(it is plenty fast) but live at sea level and do not have the AWD, which adds a couple hundred lbs of weight.

I have enjoyed my SRX but find it hard to get in and out of.('06s have reduced sills for easier access).

I had wished the Cadillac had pu the new 6 speed auto this year. It would have helped withhwy mileage. The Explorer has the 6 speed why not a Cadillac?

I would buy another SRX and am looking forward to the '07 interior.
My ideal SRX would be a V6 with Driver Level One package, rear air and the extra wood.

keeton
01-03-06, 12:47 AM
Like you, I was set to buy a Lexus RX330 until I drove a V-6 SRX. The Lexus has a more nicely appointed interior but the SRX was better in every other respect - especially driving dynamics.

The V-6 has plenty of power and better than most of the 6-cyl. competition (including Lexus and Mercedes). The V-8 adds yet more power which will be noticed more at higher speeds.

The rear seat of the SRX is exceptionally roomy although the optional third row is for children only. If you don't get the third seat you will get a bit more storage area.

The only problems I have had with my '04 have been the trip odo resetting itself, the totally cool Ultraview sunroof making creaking noises and a clog in the rear window washer - all resolved by the dealer. The drivetrain has been flawless.

inline6
01-03-06, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the information. But I was wondering if either of you have you owned any SUV's before this? If so do you consider this SUV to be the best of all of them that you owned? Also just to mention our Accord has a 4 cylinder engine.

We most recently had a Tahoe, had a couple GMC Jimmys previously and the SRX is a totally different animal. I really do not consider the SRX to be a SUV, but more of a car that meets the federal definition of a SUV. The Tahoe was mine and the SRX was purchased for my wife. She was not comfortable driving the Tahoe and totally nixed getting a Denali. The SRX is far easier to get in and out of, has a far nicer interior, easier to park, rides better, gets better mileage and the V6 will out run a Tahoe. The negatives are the SRX will not tow anywhere near what a Tahoe will nor does it have the cargo space.

The only other vehicles my wife would consider where the Honda Odessey and Acura MDX as we wanted the third seat for young grand children and after driving all three the SRX was a no brainer. As you are coming from an older Accord, I would take the family with you and drive both the RX and SRX and see what fits you needs the best.