: Half of trunk light went out

NJ_Catera
12-30-05, 12:04 PM
Half of the light bar that's on the back of the trunk has been going off and on for about the past year. A gentle tap gets it back to working again. Now it's going from a gentle tap to a hard punch. Is that light bar replaceable, or could it be a grounding problem? Thanx.

bengsxr
12-30-05, 01:55 PM
well you can send it to a place that works on lcd brake lights. there really is no ground but a positive and negative wires going to it. it may also be the circut board in there. I bought one from a junk yard for less then what one of those places wanted to fix my old one. here is the junkyard search engine incase you want to try that. www.car-part.com

Boris
12-30-05, 04:25 PM
You can repair it your self.

Just find which diode has the loose connection or is going out.
I'm not 100% sure but I think the light bar has 3 circuits where the diodes are hooked up like Christmas lights.
If one dies the set goes out with it.

Might have to solder in a new diode and all will be well again.

AllenPacla
12-30-05, 09:10 PM
I had the privilige to repair mine and the light is composed of three sets of lights joined together by two piece of wire soldered to each end of the bar that holds the LED lights. All you have to do is re-solder this wires that connects the three bars together. The tricky part is getting the red plastic cover in the front off, to access the inside. And it's an equally difficult task to glue it back. You will have to clean off old glue before re-gluing the red lens of the whole assembly. If you don't have the patience then don't do it. You will need ties to hold the red lens cover while drying up the glue and of course to squeeze it tight. You might decide to swab the surrounding area some silicone glue to seal it from water. Just like i said, it's not an easy task. By the way, to take off the red lens cover, you will need cutting blades to slowly pry them off.