: How much would you pay?

LaneWvr
12-30-05, 05:56 AM
65 Impala 4 door, 287 v8, 96k miles, base model, no power brakes or steering. It's red with 4 rust spots that are surface and paint is starting to fade. All chrome is there and nice! Interior is nice except one tear in front seat and one in back seat. Factory everything, radio is still there. Chrome wheels with good BFG tires. Drove good but play in wheel mabey needs new box. Car ran great for never being rebuilt. Exaust manifold leak, but it does have dual exaust with flowmasters. Aftermaket radio is under dash, but needs rewiring, engine noise in speakers. Guessing bad ground. What would you pay? Guy wants $5000.

Spyder
12-30-05, 06:41 AM
Sounds really high for a 65 base model four door anything with no power steering or brakes. My buddy bought a 64 four door with power for half that...keeep looking, unless that is THE car you want!

Elvis
12-30-05, 10:09 AM
$3500, but that's because I would WANT that car and be willing to pay extra. I'd want to see a compression test before buying it.

All the chrome being right makes a big difference to me. Fair market value with surface rust, bad paint, tears in the interior, exhaust leak, and loose steering probably isn't but $2800, and that's because demand for Impalas is really high thanks to Snoop Dogg. This car sounds like a 4, maybe a 3 because it's original and unmolested.

http://automotivemileposts.com/rating.html

Spyder
12-30-05, 01:25 PM
yea...think of the cost of repairs that you'll have to make...chrome and glass in good shape is a huge plus because those are a cost that no one ever thinks of...that stuffs not cheap! Get a magnet and look for bondo...crawl around underneath and look for rust from the inside and the backside of all the body panels...What are your plans for it as well? If you're going to rip the engine out and stab a new one in, then who cares about how good it runs...if you're going to upgrade to power steering, who cares if its loose and manual...things like that come into play as well...

Destroyer
12-30-05, 04:45 PM
No way is it worth that. A 2 door yes but not a 4 door in this condition. I'll bet there is some frame rust too. The others were right on with the price, mid to high $2k range is where I would put it.

Eric Kahn
12-30-05, 08:34 PM
too much but the manual steering box can be adjusted, also check the tie rod ends, that was what caused the play in my 69 ford with manual steering

LaneWvr
12-31-05, 04:49 AM
Thanks guys! It was for a friend. He was looking at that and a 91 Trans Am GTA WS-6. Think he's going with the TA or niether of the two. I'm tring to talk him into looking at a 68 Caprice2dr Hard top, with a rebuilt 396 and mostly new interior.

Spyder
12-31-05, 06:33 AM
The 68 Caprice would be awesome, depending on the price...the WS-6, also...I was never, personally, a fan of the 65+ impalas, but that's just my own opinion. I wouldn't mind having that caprice, at all!