: Rolls Royce hood ornament!! SWEET!

caddeville
12-30-05, 03:40 AM
The new RR hood ornament i saw, when u start the car, the hood ornament slides up, u shut it off, and it slides down, that is just SWEET. Is that ever going to be possible on a cadillac? I would like to get one custom made!!! Lots of whigger *******s at school who think they are cool:bomb:. I was thinking of makin my ornament with electric shock, like one of those pens.

LaneWvr
12-30-05, 05:58 AM
HAHA, I heard of that. Shock those who try to steal it!

SilverFleetwood85
12-30-05, 07:26 PM
Interesting idea, I think it would be hard to create the amount of current needed to really shock a person while the car is off. BTW, the RR hood ornament is really cool, thats what you get when you pay mega $$$$$ for a car.

Boombotz
12-31-05, 06:07 PM
Interesting idea, I think it would be hard to create the amount of current needed to really shock a person while the car is off. BTW, the RR hood ornament is really cool, thats what you get when you pay mega $$$$$ for a car.

It can be done with a capacitor.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-31-05, 06:10 PM

And then we would have a TIME MACHINE!!!

(no wait, thats a flux capacitor :( )

Night Wolf
12-31-05, 07:16 PM
eh... a hood ornament going up/down when you turn the car on/off really dosn't amuse me.

If someone wants to steal something, they'll find a way.

I am really sure someone that spends $250k on a Rolls Royce is that concerned about replacing their hood ornament.

Why have it up when you drive if its not up when you park? maybe for kids that need to start at something when driving? may as well stick it on the grille and solve the problem all together.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-31-05, 08:00 PM
Hey I wonder how much a RR replacement hood ornament goes for at the local (:histeric: ) dealership?

SilverFleetwood85
01-01-06, 02:52 AM

A capacitor could really store that much voltage?

Night Wolf
01-01-06, 01:50 PM

There are some pretty large capacitors out there.

Night Wolf
01-01-06, 01:54 PM
There are some pretty large capacitors out there.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-01-06, 02:03 PM
speaking of hood ornaments, this friend of mine in high school stuck a dildo on the grille of his friends' 88 Honda Civic, then he would go around and love tap other's cars!! :histeric:

90Brougham350
01-01-06, 02:40 PM
And how might one go about rigging this capacitor up eh? You've snaired my interest!

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
01-01-06, 04:57 PM
The hood ornament on a Rolls Royce is in solid sterling silver and costs a mint, that's why they've made a vague effort at some security.

I seem to remember the anti theft feature was first made available many years ago.

Night Wolf
01-01-06, 05:04 PM
a hood ornamnet in solid sterling silver?

Some people have more money then brains....

man... I realy hope if/when I make lots of money in the future... I don't get sucked in....

ahh damn... spending half a millon on a new car just dosn't do anything for me.... restoring classics... yeah... but I just can't get into all this new stuff...

I drive, and like Cadillac's.... how much of a contridiction can this be...

mccombie_5
01-01-06, 06:11 PM
a hood ornamnet in solid sterling silver?
Some people have more money then brains....
man... I realy hope if/when I make lots of money in the future... I don't get sucked in....
ahh damn... spending half a millon on a new car just dosn't do anything for me.... restoring classics... yeah... but I just can't get into all this new stuff...
I drive, and like Cadillac's.... how much of a contridiction can this be...

You'd be surpised how many people would say this, get rich and change their minds.

I remember once saying "I'll never buy a brand new car"

Four years later I bought a brand new car

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-01-06, 06:25 PM
Do older Rolls's generally ride as smooth as a '70s Caddy or Lincoln?

mccombie_5
01-01-06, 06:30 PM
Do older Rolls's generally ride as smooth as a '70s Caddy or Lincoln?

I suppose they do, the earlier ones though, 1970s Royce's are terrible, smooth, but slow heavy ugly and about as reliable as an Argentinian dictatorship.

I'd still rather rather have the 1956 Bentley S1 Continental that my father has in his garage over any Royce!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-01-06, 06:34 PM
Is that the 1st generation Continentals? The ones I'm thinking of (1953) are milestone cars, very highly rated and loved.

I met a guy when I was in england that had several '70's and '80's Rolls Royces. They were nice cars and such, I just didnt see anything that justified their exorbitant pricetag! For my money, I would rather have a Mark IV, Eldo, Fleetwood Brougham, Town Coupe and a 450SEL 6.9.

mccombie_5
01-01-06, 06:43 PM
Yeah, its a 1956 car, but its the one launched in 1953

Silver with red leather interior.

Cost him his retirement money.

He drove it, back in the late 50s and early 60s when I was a child, it belonged to his boss, he was among most other things, the driver for the family, and he used to bring it home, when the car was sold by the boss we never saw it again, until he had ehard it to be up for auction, and there he went and bought it.

its a beautiful car.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/1956-Bentley-S1-Continental.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-01-06, 06:43 PM
oh yeah they are gorgeous cars!

mccombie_5
01-01-06, 06:51 PM

It gets so much attention, its a garage queen and is only driven on sunny days.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-01-06, 06:56 PM
I imagine thats like the british equivalent of a 1953 Cadillac Eldorado convertible.
Or a 1956-57 Lincoln Continental Mark II.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-01-06, 06:58 PM
In concept, its like the modern Continental GT, but 49 years older!

mccombie_5
01-01-06, 06:58 PM
I imagine thats like the british equivalent of a 1953 Cadillac Eldorado convertible.
Or a 1956-57 Lincoln Continental Mark II.

Quite possibly.

He paid a small fortune for it, and its worth every penny

Night Wolf
01-01-06, 07:37 PM
You'd be surpised how many people would say this, get rich and change their minds.
I remember once saying "I'll never buy a brand new car"
Four years later I bought a brand new car

I know it happens all the time....

But I just can't picture myself doing that.

I can picture myself spending similar amounts of money restoring (myself) classics.... 30's V16 Caddy.... '59's etc.... if I ever had the large amounts of money to spend on cars....

I too would never, or prefer not to buy a brand new car. Why spend $30k now when in 2-3 years I can have the same car for $15k.... so then with that money I can buy a used Jet Ski and a pop up camper or something....

obvisouly is I am making mega-millions and money comes and goes... then yeah who cares... but I am talking about resonable levels... even up to $200k/year, I still coudln't picture myself buying a brand new car.... much less any new vehicle over $20k.... I would never shell out $100k for a MB or BMW... hell, I don't even like them at the least... give me a truck... not an overpriced Lexus on Camry chassis thing... a real truck... Silverado, F-150, Tacoma, Jeep etc... I'll be happy.

Night Wolf
01-01-06, 07:39 PM

They also have the GM Turbo Hydramatic 400 :)

Night Wolf
01-01-06, 07:39 PM
It gets so much attention, its a garage queen and is only driven on sunny days.
Another thing I could never do to a car.....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-01-06, 07:43 PM
They also have the GM Turbo Hydramatic 400 :)

The 1950's ones???
I know the 70's models did, and they also shared GM's delco stereo headunit.

mccombie_5
01-01-06, 07:48 PM
I know it happens all the time....
But I just can't picture myself doing that.
I can picture myself spending similar amounts of money restoring (myself) classics.... 30's V16 Caddy.... '59's etc.... if I ever had the large amounts of money to spend on cars....
I too would never, or prefer not to buy a brand new car. Why spend $30k now when in 2-3 years I can have the same car for $15k.... so then with that money I can buy a used Jet Ski and a pop up camper or something....
obvisouly is I am making mega-millions and money comes and goes... then yeah who cares... but I am talking about resonable levels... even up to $200k/year, I still coudln't picture myself buying a brand new car.... much less any new vehicle over $20k.... I would never shell out $100k for a MB or BMW... hell, I don't even like them at the least... give me a truck... not an overpriced Lexus on Camry chassis thing... a real truck... Silverado, F-150, Tacoma, Jeep etc... I'll be happy.

I am now on a comfortable income and have been for some time, its funny because at this time my wife is looking for a new car.

We could afford a new one but its unlikely we will buy new. Saying this, in September I took delivery of my Phaeton..... brand new. It depends, if you cant get waht you want used, buy new.

I dont take in a £Million UK, but It probably breeches a $Million US ever year, and i could have bought a brand new Mercedes S600, but I didnt, i took a 1998 S600 for 8%of its original value....

It ends up as a blend, I do know one friend of ours is a multi millionaire, hes worth about £7.8M and he drives one of these daily:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/r800_09.jpg

Among about £700k worth of other cars, but he uses the £200 Rover daily.

Night Wolf
01-01-06, 07:51 PM
The 1950's ones???
I know the 70's models did, and they also shared GM's delco stereo headunit.

well, not in the 50's....

the TH400 came out int he mid 60's... shortly after RR realized they coudln't build a more durable transmission that shifted as smooth... and started using them.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-01-06, 07:56 PM
It's odd how that all works out.
Big, arrogant Rolls Royce borrows parts from the "lesser" GM.

Night Wolf
01-01-06, 08:01 PM
I am now on a comfortable income and have been for some time, its funny because at this time my wife is looking for a new car.
We could afford a new one but its unlikely we will buy new. Saying this, in September I took delivery of my Phaeton..... brand new. It depends, if you cant get waht you want used, buy new.
I dont take in a £Million UK, but It probably breeches a $Million US ever year, and i could have bought a brand new Mercedes S600, but I didnt, i took a 1998 S600 for 8%of its original value....
It ends up as a blend, I do know one friend of ours is a multi millionaire, hes worth about £7.8M and he drives one of these daily:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/r800_09.jpg
Among about £700k worth of other cars, but he uses the £200 Rover daily.

Yeah... I fully understand.

Just me I guess... like I wouldn't want a huge mega-bedroom mansion, if I don't need the space. A modest house on alot of land in the country is nice, with a garage for all my cars, which I will have plenty... including the ones I have now.

I like everything in modest portions.. I would like a boat... not a huge yatch, but a nice speed boat if I am around the water... maybe an older Sea Ray or something, and restore it myself... then use it.

I like to do things myself, and the idea of buying a handyman special house then fixing it up appeals to me alot.. same for a boat or a car... anyone can go out and buy a new house, boat or car if they have the money... but it takes a speical person to do it themself.

I dunno, I guess my views are just changing. I am not wowed by ultra-luxury cars anymore... cars like the final genertation Eldorado still dramatically appeal to me, and I do want to own one some day... but anything beyond that just isn't there....

Actually right now, if my cars were of any valve, I would sell them all and buy a truck... Tacoma or Wrangler is what my eyes are on... but my Olds is worth maybe $500, the '79 is worth maybe $2,000... and the '93 is probably only another $2,000... but that car means far more to me then any dollar figure.

I never like lots of attention, I don't like to be the person where all eyes are on me... driving a MB like the one pictured is exactly that car.. I know when I see it on the road I think rich snobby person... true or not, it comes to my mind. The older Caddy's... before the whole CTS/STS/DTS/SRX... other random 3 letter alphabet soup cars are very classy, yet do not have any of that snobbyness, IMO. A 1995 Eldorado, Seville, DeVille, Fleetwood etc... all are amazing styling, and I would love to own each of them... but its just different... they don't stand out, yet nothing is like them.

ah well... enough of my rambling for now....

mccombie_5
01-01-06, 08:01 PM
well, not in the 50's....
the TH400 came out int he mid 60's... shortly after RR realized they coudln't build a more durable transmission that shifted as smooth... and started using them.

Thats a 1950s Bentley, hand crafted from a cube of steel some alimunium i believe, a cow, and a tree:D

The 1960s Rolls Royces were good, but I may be wrong in this, but it was probably the 1966+ Royces that used these GM parts, the ones before that were carried straight from the 1950s.

The Silver Shadow is the worst Royce ever, followed by the Camourage coupe.

The Phantom V and the Silver Cloud were straight from the 50s if IIRC

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-01-06, 08:03 PM
Mccombie, why would anyone pay $275,000 for a Rolls when you can get almost all of the same features in a $125,000 760Li, A8 W-12 or S65?
Is it just because its a Rolls, and people have to have the name?

mccombie_5
01-01-06, 08:14 PM
Oh, he lives in the biggest house I have ever seen, he built it himself, literally, he is a builder, and him and his staff built the house, he made alot of money in somethign or other (i cant actually remember) and he is very humble, he has a Ferrari F40, a Ferrari 456GT, a Volvo XC90, a Porsche 911 GT3, a Jaguar XJ220, a Lancia Fulvia, a Lancia Delta Integrale, an imported E38 BMW L7, a BMW E67 760Li, a Range Rover, a Ford Ranger, a 1977 450SEL, and many others I'm sure, but he drives this 1995 Rover 825i Sterling Coupe....

Hes nuts I tell you.

mccombie_5
01-01-06, 08:15 PM
Mccombie, why would anyone pay $275,000 for a Rolls when you can get almost all of the same features in a $125,000 760Li, A8 W-12 or S65?
Is it just because its a Rolls, and people have to have the name?

Well, the Phantom has so much more.

It makes doormen stand to attention, it makes children run and hide.

Its the epitomy of luxury.....

A car to be driven in, not to drive. Whereas the others are driver's cars compared to the Royce

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-01-06, 08:20 PM
Yeah. Do you prefer your Phaeton or that '95 Turbo R you had?

mccombie_5
01-01-06, 08:29 PM
Yeah. Do you prefer your Phaeton or that '95 Turbo R you had?

Tough question. In many ways yes, but in many ways no.

The Bentley had a fantastic feel to it, it felt like driving a cottage, it was like a rocket propelled chest of drawers. It made everyone look, it was smooth, comfortable, luxurious, thirsty expensive, and cramped in the back, but it just had "that feeling" to it, with dated tehnology thoguh.

PLUS all of the other Bentleys at that time were Rolls Royces in sports jackets, there was no equivelant to the R.

The Phaeton is the businessman's express, its silent, smooth, fast, economical, luxurious, roomy in the back, modern up todate technology, four wheel drive etc etc.

One MASSIVE difference is subtelty, the Phaeton is as anonymous as a CIA informer, the Bentley was a loudmouthed unstoppable behemoth!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-01-06, 11:29 PM
lol yeah its about the most brash british car ever built! It's like driving around in a pink '59 Cadillac Eldo Convertible whereas the Phaeton is like driving around in a 98 deVille Concours.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-02-06, 12:20 AM
Hes nuts I tell you.

Nuts! N-V-T-S :D :sneaky:

mccombie_5
01-02-06, 07:37 AM
lol yeah its about the most brash british car ever built! It's like driving around in a pink '59 Cadillac Eldo Convertible whereas the Phaeton is like driving around in a 98 deVille Concours.

There is one thats equally as brash, its something I've always wanted to own. There is no doubt that I will one day in the future, sooner the better.

Aston Martin Vantage

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/AstonMartinV8Vantage1024.jpg

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
01-02-06, 07:48 AM
I remember watching Top Gear a few years ago where they compared a Mercades S600 to a Rolls Royce.
They took them around the track and the Merc handled better, it was more high tech. It was all round, the better car.

But that doesn't matter one ounce.

A Rolls Royce (or Bentley, and by that I mean a proper Bentley) says "you've made it". You're on the top of the pile.

If I ever had multi-millions I would own a Rolls Royce.
Not one of the new German ones, but a proper old school one.

I would have other cars too, but I would make sure I had a Rolls too.

mccombie_5
01-02-06, 08:05 AM
I remember watching Top Gear a few years ago where they compared a Mercades S600 to a Rolls Royce.
They took them around the track and the Merc handled better, it was more high tech. It was all round, the better car.
But that doesn't matter one ounce.
A Rolls Royce (or Bentley, and by that I mean a proper Bentley) says "you've made it". You're on the top of the pile.
If I ever had multi-millions I would own a Rolls Royce.
Not one of the new German ones, but a proper old school one.
I would have other cars too, but I would make sure I had a Rolls too.

Interesting. I wouldnt own a Royce. Bentleys, Astons, Jags, but never a Royce.

There is one I may consider.

1966 Phantom V.

Thats it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-02-06, 11:20 AM
Oh yeah those Vantages are awesome! Isnt that a bigger V8 under its hood? Like around 400 cid? I used to really like those a lot, but I've forgotten about them for quite a while. Its a 2+2 configuation right?

mccombie_5
01-02-06, 01:09 PM
Oh yeah those Vantages are awesome! Isnt that a bigger V8 under its hood? Like around 400 cid? I used to really like those a lot, but I've forgotten about them for quite a while. Its a 2+2 configuation right?

Im not sure on the engine size, but I think its a 6.0 V8

And yes, it is indeed a 2+2!

Its based on the Aston Martin Virage.

powerglide
01-02-06, 01:28 PM
The Rolls I know doesn't do this.
The ornament stays up and out even when in park.
Its goes back in when you touch it. (or when some switch is thrown to lower it)

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
01-02-06, 02:37 PM
That Aston is fab.
But then pretty much any Aston is fab!

(although I was never a fan of the squared off look ones from the early 80s).

mccombie_5
01-02-06, 02:53 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/e.jpg

That kind? Nah me neither,t he DBS is one ugly heap.

I like the Virage, particularly the Vantage model seen in green up there ^

I would take one right now.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
01-02-06, 02:59 PM
I'm not a fan of those no.

This is the one I meant:

http://www.motorimania.net/manifestazioni/sportive/aston.martin/images/Aston.Martin.Lagonda.3.jpg

Looks like it fell out of the ugly plane and landed in the ugly forrest having hit every ugly branch on the ugliest tree on the way down...

mccombie_5
01-02-06, 03:06 PM
I'm not a fan of those no.

This is the one I meant:

http://www.motorimania.net/manifestazioni/sportive/aston.martin/images/Aston.Martin.Lagonda.3.jpg

Looks like it fell out of the ugly plane and landed in the ugly forrest having hit every ugly branch on the ugliest tree on the way down...

Ah the Lagonda!
A certian father of mine had one! It was a great car on the interior, looked fugly as hell externally!

KOBO
01-02-06, 08:24 PM
and if I ever get a RR this is the ornament I'll put on it............

http://www.consumptionjunction.com/content/detail.asp?ID=52168&type=3&page=2

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-03-06, 01:43 AM
Ah yes the Lagonda, my favorite english sedan of all time, and possibly my favorite european sedan of all time!
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/5564/astonlagondaside12tg.jpg

mccombie_5
01-03-06, 07:08 AM
and if I ever get a RR this is the ornament I'll put on it............
http://www.consumptionjunction.com/content/detail.asp?ID=52168&type=3&page=2

Work Warning on this site people

mccombie_5
01-03-06, 07:09 AM
Ah yes the Lagonda, my favorite english sedan of all time, and possibly my favorite european sedan of all time!
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/5564/astonlagondaside12tg.jpg

It really wasnt all that good, It was a nightmare to drive.

KOBO
01-03-06, 10:11 AM
Work Warning on this site people

thanks for adding that note, I shoulda' done that myself

K

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-03-06, 11:26 AM
It really wasnt all that good, It was a nightmare to drive.

Really? what was wrong with em? I love the way they look!

mccombie_5
01-03-06, 03:17 PM
Really? what was wrong with em? I love the way they look!

VERY heavy steering, very thirsty, wasnt all that fast or comfortable, it had a poor stereo for an expensive car like that, the displays and instrumentation was "offline" alot of the time, and being a passenger in the back was nigh on crippling. being a 1980 model, IIRC, the rear windows didnt open at all.

The turning circle was enoromous too.

They look different to say the least, but at the price my dad paid, it was the wrong move.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-03-06, 06:00 PM
I love the way they look!

I cant find any information on them online at all, where do I find good info?

What years were they made?

mccombie_5
01-03-06, 06:02 PM
I love the way they look!

I cant find any information on them online at all, where do I find good info?

What years were they made?

IIRC, they were made 1976-1990.

Although, I cannot find much online about them either, because the name Aston Martin Lagonda was also the company's trading name.