: SRX brakes...

tedasaurus
12-30-05, 12:19 AM
My '05 SRX awd has a clunking sound coming from the driver front wheel area when going over almost any kind of bump. Ironically it goes away when the brakes are applied! Dealer cannot find it. I have searched and tugged and cannot find it, focusing largely on the caliper, etc. Anyone else had this problem? It is not a subtle clunk, and it sounds very loose. Any help would be great. Thanks.

albertwyang
12-30-05, 02:19 AM
The clips on the back of a brake pad are supposed to hold it tightly to the caliper. Does any of the brake pads wiggle?

tedasaurus
12-30-05, 03:59 AM
Good guess and one of the first things I looked for. But the pads are very tight. The sound is far more substantial sounding than that. More of a clunk than a clink.

robhersch
12-31-05, 03:14 AM
AWD ?? Could the brakes being applied keep a torque load on the AWD gears, etc; and have you had the AWD system checked out? Elsewhere, AWD folks are discussing various techniques that are being used to eliminate AWD "clunks". I would insist on verifying the AWD system!

tedasaurus
12-31-05, 09:32 PM
Could you please tell me where to find people who have had similar issues? I sure would appreciate it. I am planning on taking the car to another dealer soon.

tedasaurus
01-04-06, 12:21 AM
Think I found the problem. Took the front driver tire and wheel off and found that the drive axle is loose and makes the clunking noise when shaken. The sounds are one in the same. Will take to the dealer and hopefully they will listen to me.

john d
01-04-06, 02:05 PM
Think I found the problem. Took the front driver tire and wheel off and found that the drive axle is loose and makes the clunking noise when shaken. The sounds are one in the same. Will take to the dealer and hopefully they will listen to me.
"when shaken"? Is that up and down, side to side or rotational direction reversal .....like when rocking forward to backward from a stuck position?
If it's rotational, the issue might be "tip in/tip out" excessive drivetrain lash.
If that is the case, the GM solution is to reflash the ECM which destroys the performance to that of a 57 Ford.
Also, if it's a drivetrain excessive lash condition my 0-60 V8awd posts may interest you.