: Cooling system question

BigButo
12-29-05, 05:22 PM
My caddy got hit in an accident and i'm having to replace the radiator. Are there any sensors that plug into a northstar (95 SLS) radiator? and how do you fill it? There is no cap, so i'm assuming just through the top radiator hose inlet? I tried filling it all the way, let the engine run to soak it up and fill it again, and i'm still getting the "low coolant" diagnostic, so i'm just assuming i missed a sensor?

Last Q, what is the capacity of the northstar cooling system?

STS-in-Nottingham
12-29-05, 06:14 PM
Fill the system via the surge tank,

The cooling system holds 12.5 quarts or 11.8 Litres,

I don't think there are any sensors on the radiator but be aware of the engine cooler lines and transaxle cooler lines,

I believe the coolant level sensor is in the surge tank,

hope this is some help, maybe others can chime in,

Regards.

Eldyfig
12-29-05, 08:15 PM
Correct, there are no sensors on or in the radiator itself. Fill the system at the surge tank (to a couple of inches below the filler neck) and your level should come in check.

Did you add any coolant supplement?

ewill3rd
12-30-05, 08:21 AM
I am not sure on that particular year, but usually the low coolant sensor is in the reservoir tank itself. If the tank is full and the light is on, you need to replace the tank.
Please verify that there is a 2 wire connector plugged in to the underside of the tank first (that would be the sensor wires).

The guys above are correct about filling the system.

HTH