: 2000 Catera Power Steering

JAMESMABRY
12-29-05, 11:37 AM
Need a little help please. I have a 2000 catera that in cold temps the power steering has always stuck a bit until it warmed up. Now the following has happened. Start out working ok then would become harder to turn at low rpm and after a bit longer would make a ratchet sound when turning. I checked the fluid and was about a 1/2 low on the stick. Has anyone experienced this or does anyone know what it could be?

andergar
12-30-05, 11:23 PM
Yes, I'm having the same problem on my '00 Cat as well. I took it into my local dealer and said that the power steering pump had to be replaced because it was not holding pressure. The cost for this was $1500. Apparently, when they replaced the pump, they also had to replace both lines. Reason is the pump is a redesign and the old lines won't fit it. Okay, that was yesterday. This morning I get in it, start it up and DAMMIT:mad: :mad: :mad: , it is doing the same thing that i took it in for. So again I took it back and told the service writer, same thing is happening. I called a couple of hours later and asked for a status, he told the "lead" tech needs to do a pressure test (which I thought they did) on Monday, when it is cold. I will be there at 9 am (I'm on vacation do this) and see what the lastest is. Don't bother going to your local mechanic, he can't diagnose the problem. I tried this first to save some money, but according to my local guy, the factory made a special analyzer, and local mech's, can't afford this tool. I will keep you posted on what happens on Monday. :nono: :nono:

Andergar

andergar@comcast.net

JAMESMABRY
01-02-06, 09:36 AM
Tks for the info. I appreciate any help you can give.

andergar
01-02-06, 10:39 PM
Okay as promised, here is an update. I went down early this morning to see my service advisor, he got the lead tech, Dave. Dave and I went to my car, he started it up and there was the same problem, I took it in for. A few hours later, I call the service advisor and asked for an update. He told me that possibly it might me a power steering module, might cost about $50 or $100 dollars. I said fine, if that is the problem, just fix it. I called again right before they closed, for another update. The service advisor told me that Dave, went into the power steering gear box and found that one of supply hole inside was clogged with contaminents. They feel that this fixed the problem, and come back tomorrow and do a cold start test to verify. I asked Dave about the power steering and what was wrong with it. He told me that it would not hold pressure inside the unit. So, I will follow up tomorrow and tell you what happens. Hope this helps. If you want to email, me please feel free.

Night all,
Andergar

andergar@comcast.net

andergar
01-04-06, 09:41 PM
Well kids, this is my (hopefully) last entry on this subject. Okay, I called the service writer late yesterday for an update. He told me that Dave (the lead tech) was calling GM Techline for support. I asked Ronny (my service writer) what was GM Techline? He told me it is a support service from GM, where the tech can call and talk to an engineer who is familiar with the problem or product. So, Techline told Dave to do another pressure test on the new power steering pump and give them the numbers. Dave did the test and the new pump is where it needs to be for pressure. So what about my original problem, the pop noise I hear when I first start the car when it is cold and turn the steering wheel at a stop? Dave and Techline believe that when the original pump started losing pressure, part of a seal broke loose and got into the lines and into the steering box and partially clogged a supply opening of power steering fluid. So when the power steering fluid got warm and was not so thick, it could then pass into the opening more easily. So Techline told Dave to flush the lines again and hopefully that would solve the problem. Well I drove the car most of the late morning and afternoon, and it drove great. Lets see what happens tomorrow in the morning. Oh, on a sidenote, Dave told me that if the problem got worse, I would have to replace the power steering box. I asked what does worse mean? He told me that it would start getting hard to turn the wheel. I was curious and asked Dave how much for a steering box? Brace yourself, $2900 just for the part. :eek: Until tomorrow, sleep well and be kind to your power steering gear box.

Andergar

andergar@comcast.net

andergar
01-09-06, 10:06 PM
Well, my bad. In my last post I stated that the price for the steering box is $2900. Wrong!!! The steering box costs, $1800 and the labor to install would be about $1100. My problem of racheting in the morning is better, but not gone. I guess I'll starting saving my change. Hope this helps.

Andergar

andergar@comcast.net