: Cam Cover Gasket / o-ring replacement

mmayer
12-29-05, 01:18 AM
Last time I changed plugs I noticed oil in a couple of the spark plug holes on my front cam cover. I am going to change the o-rings and cam cover gasket in a few weeks when I do the plugs. Does anybody know of anything else I may want to order for this job that as long as I am taking the cam cover off? Also, exactly how difficult of job is it to do this? Also, is there an aftermarket source for o-rings and gaskets which may be better than OEM?

JSMeloche
12-29-05, 09:46 AM
Removing the cam cover is a bitch on the left side (front) of the engine. There is a pully coming from one of the cam to turn the waterpump. You will have to remove the water pump belt, possibly the tensionner and belt shield. And then there is a a procedure to slip the cam cover over the cam. Dont force it, you will either brake the cover or bend the cam!
A little oil in the spark plug hole is normal in my opinion.

eldorado1
12-29-05, 12:12 PM
It's not *that* bad... You do need a power steering pump pulley puller to remove the water pump pulley on the cam...

Eldyfig
12-29-05, 07:23 PM
As the O-ring seals age, some oil seepage down into the plug holes is normal. Along as it isn't causing the plugs to foul, you should be ok. By all means, if you have the time and resources to replace the seals, go for it. Let us know how it turns out so it may help someone else.

Pjs
12-30-05, 05:48 AM
It's real easy. Like Eldorodo1 said, you'll need a p/s pump pulley remover which can be borrowed from the likes of AutoZone. Don't forget to lube up the new seal and make sure that when reinstalling your pulley you have it lined up correctly. Good Luck