: changing altn

denscor
12-28-05, 11:54 PM
Any tips on changing altn?

JSMeloche
12-29-05, 09:43 AM
Its a tight fit, make sure you put some cardboard between your rad and your alternator so you wont damage the rad when removing it. You access it through the passenger side front wheel.

Eldyfig
12-29-05, 07:36 PM
I have seen it mentioned to access the alternator through the wheel well. However, I removed mine out from the bottom of the car. Never touched the wheel. There is a small access panel on the bootom of the car, almost directly under the alternator. It is held by 4 bolts. Remove the bolts, remove the panel, drop the alterantor out. Not a hard job at all.

denscor
12-29-05, 08:13 PM
Cool!!! Sounds good, really did not look that hard at it! Have changed many but it was raining and cold!:)

molotovman5000
12-30-05, 07:39 PM
I have seen it mentioned to access the alternator through the wheel well. However, I removed mine out from the bottom of the car. Never touched the wheel. There is a small access panel on the bootom of the car, almost directly under the alternator. It is held by 4 bolts. Remove the bolts, remove the panel, drop the alterantor out. Not a hard job at all.
is it the same for a 97 DeVille?

Eldyfig
12-30-05, 08:47 PM
I do believe so. Just a quick check under the car for the panel will say for sure.

mcowden
12-30-05, 08:55 PM

I changed mine the same way Eldyfig changed his. That access panel was missing on my car when I bought it at 32k miles. I just unbolted the torque strut above the alternator so I could get to some of the connections easier from above.

Eldyfig
12-30-05, 09:00 PM
Previous owner forgot to replace it, huh?

mcowden
12-30-05, 09:04 PM
Previous owner forgot to replace it, huh?

Good question. I have no idea why it wasn't there. The previous driver leased the car, and he was the only driver before me. It may have been replaced under warranty or something and the dealership didn't finish the job. <sarcasm> I know, that never happens, but anything's possible! </sarcasm> :thumbsup:

STSMAN
12-30-05, 09:20 PM
LOL... I changed mine in the 1998 STS. No access plate due to the model change on mine but I was able to get it out after a few hours. PIA :D