: Introduction - and of course, questions

jtuoti
03-10-03, 04:04 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm a newbie here and want to say hello. I'm 35, married for 10 years, with 3 chillun's running around my ankles. By profession I'm a realtor and have recently discovered the awesome capabilities of the Seville.

I'm searching hard for a 1999 - 2000 STS (don't wanna spend more than 25k) and I wonder if the changes from between 1999 to 2000 make up for spending around an extra $3500 for a similiar model 2000?

Anyone have good suggestions for helping me out? Things to watch out for, etc? What's with this Cadillac certified thing I've heard about? Is it any better than an aftermarket warranty?

Many thanks and I look forward to the interaction. Jon

BeelzeBob
03-10-03, 07:19 AM
Hi Jon,

Welcome to cadillacforums.com - and thanks for signing up! Here's what I know.. I'm almost positive there are no major differences with a 99 or 2000 STS than a 98.. In (I think) 2001, the major change was that you can use regular unleaded instead of premium fuel.. Otherwise, any changes would have been minor..

Regarding warranty.. A certified pre-owned (CPO) is much better than an aftermarket warranty. It's a dealer warranty and you usually get things like a free rental car included - which gets your car fixed quickly because they're paying for that rental car - or, they want it back..

The only down side about a dealer warranty on an older car is - there's not much time left on it. I don't think you can get a CPO '98.. A CPO '99 is only covered for about a year. It all depends on when the car actually hit the road (was sold). You have 6 years after that date and that's it..

Cadillacs are very prestigious cars to be driving - but like other luxury cars, they cost to maintain.. Even after the CPO warranty expires - in fact, BEFORE it does, I'd look into a good aftermarket warranty. We have a few suggestions when the time comes..

I hope I've been of some help. Others will chime in shortly..

Welcome aboard!!

BeelzeBob
03-10-03, 07:35 AM
Actually, Jadcock just mentioned in another thread that starting in 2000 you could use regular unleaded fuel.

jtuoti
03-10-03, 11:19 PM
your help. Very helpful. I visited a cadillac dealership today and they looked at me like I had two heads when I inquired about a certified pre-owned caddy. Me thinks cadillac doesn't let just any dealer offer certified pre-owneds. Anyone know any different?

jerseyMan
03-12-03, 10:10 AM
For what it is worth, when I bought mine last September, the dealer who sold/certified it said that not all Cadillac dealers offer the certification program....