: power window broke

bengsxr
12-28-05, 03:54 PM
ok window pully system broke motor is still good but the peice that hold the two cables together broke. called the dealer and they said around $500 for a whole new assembley has any one else had to fix a problem like this before.

bengsxr
12-28-05, 08:13 PM
ok now i hope i have it all fixed I will put in tommorow cause i left my caddy at work in the shop. OK the fix I did was not the best but it will covered by the door panel so no one will see it I just bought some plastic weld to fix it hopefully this stuff will hold up for a long time. had to remove the whole unit by drilling out the rivits then had to remove the motor from the unit because when it broke the cable rapped itself around the pully on the motor then I had to rewind the cable on the pully and install it back in the motorthen bolt the motor back to the unit then try to stretch the cable so I could get it back in the little cable holders then plastic weld it all back together. so i will let it sit up tonight then install it tomorrow and rivit it back in place.

Vesicant
12-29-05, 01:49 AM
Ours just had the same problem... and I doubt that will hold, we tried a high strength epoxy and it only worked one time. But who knows - maybe your solution will work, what is the stuff you're using?

I think you can order that one piece that broke but im still looking into it. For now the window just stays up but luckily its the driver side rear window. :nono:

Story is one day I was rolling it down and then suddenly it started making cracking noises and you could hear pieces falling apart on the inside and it just stopped rolling up the window- all you could hear is the motor spinning.

Suckage.

bengsxr
12-29-05, 02:31 AM
well the stuff i used is a plastic weld with 3500lbs tensil so well see. if you can find just that one peice let me know if i find it i will tell you

bengsxr
12-29-05, 02:31 PM
well it did not work so I guess on to plan B now. calling the junk yards all over to find one.

NolaBoy
12-31-05, 11:54 AM
http://www.onetobuy.bizland.com/index.htm

check these guys out. looks promising. I think i am going to send my two rear ones to get rebuilt

overplayed
12-31-05, 08:24 PM
Is it your rear window that broke? My rear passanger window broke a few months back. A small gray bracket with a metal cap that rides in a track pulled by the cable broke on mine. I got one from a junk yard for like $100 I think. But the odd thing was the gray bracket already had a crack in it. I could see the crack flex when the window got the the top. If and when the window breaks again, I will fix the one I first took out. You should be able to get some small machine screws in from the back side and put a nut on the outer side (metal side) . That is my plain.

I wonder if it broke because I did not reprogram the express close feature? I had my battery run down a few times when I first got the car. I programed the sun roof, because that will not work. But since the windows still worked, I did not know I needed to program them. Just a thought, and my hope that if I keep the window programed, the crack will not break.

AllenPacla
12-31-05, 08:24 PM
Plastic weld will not do the trick. Get crimp-on clamp instead.

overplayed
12-31-05, 08:35 PM
Where can you get a clamp like that. You would need two, one for each side. On one side there is little room for clearance where the gray bracket passes the motor, so it has to be small. I think it could work, did you have to fix yours?

OutCast
02-23-06, 04:04 PM
Sounds like an epidemic. Is the part in the pic below what everyone is breaking. I haven't been able to find a new one either....interested in any fixes that are found. Dealer wanted to sell me the whole regulator assembly for $500

http://bedford.no-ip.org/images/caddypart.jpg

brandonbyrd
02-23-06, 04:16 PM
its a caddy anythin is expensive

ondale
02-24-06, 03:50 AM
I've had luck finding used parts from www.car-parts.com. You can search salvage yards from all over. I just ordered a Climate Control unit and a replacement 12 CD Changer. Some places over a 90 day warranty