: 4Motion Saves The Day!

mccombie_5
12-28-05, 01:27 PM
My wife just got home, rather shaken up, she'd just seen an accident, a BMW was going round a corner infront of her, oversteered and spun into a hedge, she hit the same patch of black ice, and the car just stayed put, she was going about the same speed she said, so it wasnt the BMW driving badly.

Everyone in the BMW was fine, she stopped to check, they jsut drove it out of the hedge and went on their way. She came home shaking and explained, she was driving at 30 all the way home from there. She seems to think had the car not been AWD she would have done the same thing.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL IN THE SNOW FOLKS!

Kev
12-28-05, 01:40 PM
That black ice can be deadly!
Glad she's OK!

mccombie_5
12-28-05, 01:42 PM
That black ice can be deadly!
Glad she's OK!

Cars are securely garaged for the night now, we arent going out, nobody is elaving this house until its daylight now. Its too dangerous.

Kev
12-28-05, 01:45 PM
Time to stoke up the fire and snuggle in with something warm and cuddly! :D
(and I don't mean the family dogs!)

mccombie_5
12-28-05, 01:47 PM

LOL

FIres have been lit all day, all of my radiators are blasting heat. Were all good here.

The dogs are curled up in front of me at the fire, Claire is cooking dinner.

Kev
12-28-05, 01:54 PM
LOL

FIres have been lit all day, all of my radiators are blasting heat. Were all good here.

The dogs are curled up in front of me at the fire, Claire is cooking dinner.Well, maybe after dinner you might do a little "cooking" for her, you know, return the favor? :devil:

mccombie_5
12-28-05, 01:56 PM
Well, maybe after dinner you might do a little "cooking" for her, you know, return the favor? :devil:

Dude! We have family staying!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-28-05, 01:59 PM
damn..thats good the VW had 4 motion

I wish my deville had some sort of AWD...lol

Kev
12-28-05, 02:00 PM
Dude! We have family staying!Never stopped us.. whatsamatter?! No door on the master bedroom?! LOL

Now that I think of it though, most wives get more satisfaction out of their hubbies doing the dishes and vacuuming....

mccombie_5
12-28-05, 02:07 PM
Never stopped us.. whatsamatter?! No door on the master bedroom?! LOL

Now that I think of it though, most wives get more satisfaction out of their hubbies doing the dishes and vacuuming....

No but the Lounge is directly below it!

Thats also true, or you could do what I do and hire a maid

Adam
12-28-05, 02:07 PM
so this is what happens when Brits drive in snow... i can fix that, you will never have to worry about snow again... move to Southern California with Kev!

mccombie_5
12-28-05, 02:16 PM
so this is what happens when Brits drive in snow... i can fix that, you will never have to worry about snow again... move to Southern California with Kev!

Its what happens when BMW drivers drive in the snow!

Kev
12-28-05, 02:20 PM
so this is what happens when Brits drive in snow... i can fix that, you will never have to worry about snow again... move to Southern California with Kev!Yes, he could but he probably wouldn't like the cost of housing here though he would likely come out OK. Also, when it rains here folks on the road seam to forget how to keep traction! They are so used to good weather they don't know how to act when it rains! :cookoo: :bang2:

mccombie_5
12-28-05, 02:22 PM
Yes, he could but he probably wouldn't like the cost of housing here though he would likely come out OK. Also, when it rains here folks on the road seam to forget how to keep traction! They are so used to good weather they don't know how to act when it rains! :cookoo: :bang2:

Thats funny because we dont know how to act when its dry!

We plan to go somewhere in NA / Canada when we retire, so Cali is a maybe

Kev
12-28-05, 02:25 PM
Thats funny because we dont know how to act when its dry!

We plan to go somewhere in NA / Canada when we retire, so Cali is a maybeWell you just may have to look me up if you do! That would be terrific!

mccombie_5
12-28-05, 02:28 PM
Well you just may have to look me up if you do! That would be terrific!

Indeed!

Unfortunately we have to get really old first, because Claire has some time before retiremement, though. She may take early retirement if i can persuade her, I dont want her teaching until shes 60!

gdwriter
12-28-05, 05:19 PM

For some of us, there's no other alternative, (unless I count the cats). Not all of us have lovely wives like you and Craig.

Glad to hear that Claire is OK. I don't mind driving in snow, but black ice is a killer.

mccombie_5
12-28-05, 05:23 PM
For some of us, there's no other alternative, (unless I count the cats). Not all of us have lovely wives like you and Craig.

Glad to hear that Claire is OK. I don't mind driving in snow, but black ice is a killer.

Thanks for your kind words. She is positive that had she been in the S she would have done the same thing as the Beemer and probably hit it.

Shes sitting int he snug ( a little room off the library with a log burner) reading at the moment with a stiff drink, glad to be home. Snow still bleaching down here.

Kev
12-28-05, 06:56 PM
For some of us, there's no other alternative, (unless I count the cats). Not all of us have lovely wives like you and Craig...and that is precisely why it is up to guys like Craig and I to do our part for the rest of manhood around the world. To be beacons of light and hope to those unfortunate, hapless saps who've been jilted, dumped or overlooked. To boldly go where others wish they could! To............ oh, never mind......

mccombie_5
12-28-05, 07:05 PM
..and that is precisely why it is up to guys like Craig and I to do our part for the rest of manhood around the world. To be beacons of light and hope to those unfortunate, hapless saps who've been jilted, dumped or overlooked. To boldly go where others wish they could! To............ oh, never mind......

:yup:

ShadowLvr400
12-28-05, 08:14 PM
*Wanders outside on my snowy 64 degree evening* Oh wait, no snow. :)

FSU_Noles
12-28-05, 08:23 PM
My wife just got home, rather shaken up, she'd just seen an accident, a BMW was going round a corner infront of her, oversteered and spun into a hedge, she hit the same patch of black ice, and the car just stayed put, she was going about the same speed she said, so it wasnt the BMW driving badly.

Is your wife having a hard time on the roads this month - didn't you post about an accident she had??

Glad she is okay.

gdwriter
12-28-05, 10:45 PM
..and that is precisely why it is up to guys like Craig and I to do our part for the rest of manhood around the world. To be beacons of light and hope to those unfortunate, hapless saps who've been jilted, dumped or overlooked.

Screw the beacon of light...find me a woman who likes cars, cats, dogs, good food and laughter. Make sure she doesn't mind the rain, then send her up to Oregon.

mccombie_5
12-29-05, 08:49 AM
Is your wife having a hard time on the roads this month - didn't you post about an accident she had??

Glad she is okay.

Indeed, she isnt too confident at the moment, since she took the Vectra into the field, she thinks shes going to crash at every bend. In a small amount of space I have seen her go from being one of the best drivers I've known to being a gibbering wreck.

Its just a matter of picking yourself up and getting back on the horse. She needs to build her confidence back up.

Thanks for the well aimed words FSU :thumbsup:

Kev
12-29-05, 11:46 AM
Here in the States we have a few performance driving schools. Do you have that there? Perhaps getting here enrolled in one of those might be a lot of fun (you get to tear around a course in someone else's car) and confidence building. After all, we can't have a Head Mistress afraid to drive, we must help her to conquer her fears!

Of course once she has passed she may end up speeding about the country side in that hot-rod MBz!
:burn:

FSU_Noles
12-29-05, 12:40 PM
McCombie --

Whereabouts is NE England? I have had brief visits to London, Lakenheath and Mildenhall. Unfortunately I never got to drive, only ride. I was scared witless most of the time being on the wrong side of the road -- I surely would have crashed had I been driving.

Unfortunately my visits were during late January/Early February and the cold was intense. I have never experienced all 4 seasons in 1 day as I did in London. Sun, rain, wind, cold, snow....

Anyhow, just trying to figure out where you were located...

mccombie_5
12-29-05, 04:14 PM
FSU, Im a few miles North of Newcastle Upon Tyne. About 60 miles South of the Socttish border. Were about as Northern as it gets for England.

I used to be in London alot, its been a while now, I dislike the place. Its too big and tis too unfriendly.

Kev: We have such things, but she was alraeady hot rodding around in my Benz.

She'll be fine, shes had accidents before and recovered, but the incident in the field scared her, and yesterday was a sort of final straw on the camels back. Shes been out today, but she even pulled away with less than confidence. She slowly moved along the drive, whereas she normall guns it along that.

She should be fine by the time school is open again.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
01-01-06, 05:59 PM
Good thing she hasn't got the old fashioned Synchro awd system then that they fitted to the Golf years ago.

All lovely and 4wd as long as you keep your foot down going round the bend. Back off and it becomes FWD and stays that way until you get back on it.

mccombie_5
01-01-06, 07:26 PM
Indeed, she knows whats shes doing normally, but the black ice is a killer..

I'm going to be driving for the next few days, she doesnt fancy it at the moment