: Calling all Computer geniuses...

tru504187211
12-28-05, 10:59 AM
I've been working hard towards my Network+, and it seems at the Inet+ exam is kind of a dumbed down version of Net+...anyone heard of the Inet+ or is it so obsure that I probably shouldn't pay the one hundred plus dollars to take the Inet+ right after net+ test?

STS-in-Nottingham
12-28-05, 11:50 AM
I'm not a genius but after the Network+, I would go for the CCNA(Cisco) and then onto MCP and/or MCSE.

tru504187211
12-28-05, 12:28 PM
I've not been exposed to Cisco...so I'm deathly afraid of their exams and the renewal factor! Only reason I'd say I want to do the Inet after a successful Net+, is because its said that they have many overlapping areas and that Inet is supposedly easier...I am 1 exam away from win2k MCSA, and used that pay for one exam, take it again for free deal on it...and failed both times by 2 questions with no clear area that I messed up on! So that was discouraging, which made me want to get as many certifications as possibile in the shortest amount of time...what do you think??

STS-in-Nottingham
12-28-05, 12:53 PM
Do you have A+ cert?, this should be quite easy after Net+, as the A+ is usually studied first being classed as an entry level qualification.

tru504187211
12-28-05, 07:27 PM
Do you have A+ cert?, this should be quite easy after Net+, as the A+ is usually studied first being classed as an entry level qualification.

Yes, I've completed...

A+ 2003
MCP: 70-210, 70-215
MCDST: 70-271, 70-272

FSU_Noles
12-28-05, 07:50 PM
As a person who owns an IT company, the best advice I could give is make sure you have the experience to go with those certs. There are many paper certs out there that can't find their a$$ with their hands.

A cert may get you in the door but what I always said was I will pass any cert you want me too if you hire me - show me a lab and tell me what you want me to do. Proof is in the pudding.

Any new hire for me gets a hands-on test. Anyone can read a book and pass a test. Also, a degree will get you further than a cert.

AutoGeek
12-28-05, 08:11 PM
I have worked in computer controls for 25 years. The certs will get you in the door but the degree will move you up in the company faster. Work hard and get both. You can do it!

tru504187211
12-28-05, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the replies! I have a bachelor's in computer science and had an a+ cert as well as my mcp, BUT it STILL took 5 months to find an IT job after graduation...there's only so high I can get at this point in my career from an experience standpoint...so I keep thinking that a way to be able to move around a bit more easily would be to augment my time in IT with certifications showing I can do this and do that...the Bachelors definately helps! How else would I be able to move around/ up in IT with only 15 months official experience? It seems that companies are very hesitant to hire someone at my age...even with my credentials...

FSU_Noles
12-28-05, 10:27 PM
Location has a lot to do with it, not sure how much growth there is in IT in Milwaukee. A good place to start is with Defense contractors, check around for listings at Gen Mitchell Field or with more national contractors such as L3, General Dynamics, Lochkeed Martin, Northrup Grumman, Harris Corp, etc...

Again, location has a lot to do with how far you can go... I have relocated 2x and done significant amounts of travel for my jobs but they all got me the needed experience and leadership required to move up.

Good luck...