: Engine swap a V8 or a turbo v6

JOHNZAZA
12-28-05, 12:14 AM
I was wondering if anyone has done a v8 swap. I looked around at different sites for some info , but it seems that no one has attempted it.

Would love to find some parts available to make the switch easy.

I have a 600 hp v6 grand national motor a may throw in.

Does anyone have any info they can share?

Thanks All!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banghead:

meyema03
12-28-05, 01:13 AM
a v8 has been done but that grand nationional motor would be badd ass im a little intoxitaced right now but ill tell you partner that a turbo 3.8 is where it is at although a big olde v8 will let you light them tires up like a mother so in a catera i would go for the grand national motor with a good allision six speed auto but that is just me

JOHNZAZA
01-01-06, 12:46 PM
WOW 70 people have read this post, and no one has any ideas or tips about this conversion?

:confused:

miahcornell
01-02-06, 09:43 PM
Well there aren't going to be any parts to make this easier on you. If you've never done an engine swap I wouldn't recommend this be your first.

The easiest way I see, small block chevy with a turbo 350 transmission, running a Painless brand efi wiring harness and getting a custom driveshaft.

That "600hp" gnx motor can't be "thrown" in there. Instead it will be a pain in the butt to install with the turbos, not to mention the rear will never hold it.

R-Caddy
01-04-06, 02:27 PM
In Australia it doeas come with a 5.3L V8. I think it's the same engine that now goes into the new Impala SS and several others :hmm:

turbojimmy
01-04-06, 05:25 PM
The turbo motor is pretty wide if you keep the turbo and downpipe in the stock location (as a GN) but the V6 itself would take up less space in the engine bay. Otherwise wouldn't be any easier or harder than an EFI SBC to install. You don't want a 6-speed behind a 3.8L turbo - the 2004R did a fine job and keeps the turbo spooled.

Jim

miahcornell
01-05-06, 02:48 AM
The austrailian commodore is not the same car.

GDaina
01-07-06, 02:08 PM
You can drop in a Chevy ZO6. Corvette tuner, Mallet, has all the part numbers you need for this....he did two swaps for Cadillac motors around 2001 or 2002. Dude wanted to know if I wanted to have this done on my 97. I asked should I stand or sit down? His answer, it's cheap, only 15K, all parts and labor. I just looked at him..yea, right Chuck.

Anyway, Caddy motors has the parts to do this.

GDaina
01-07-06, 02:10 PM
The turbo motor is pretty wide if you keep the turbo and downpipe in the stock location (as a GN) but the V6 itself would take up less space in the engine bay. Otherwise wouldn't be any easier or harder than an EFI SBC to install. You don't want a 6-speed behind a 3.8L turbo - the 2004R did a fine job and keeps the turbo spooled.

Jim

I own an 82 Regal Sports Coupe...the one fault with the 3.8 turbo is the oiling system in not a good design.

turbojimmy
01-07-06, 10:11 PM
I own an 82 Regal Sports Coupe...the one fault with the 3.8 turbo is the oiling system in not a good design.

How so? Oil to the turbo or to the top end? Something else? They really seem to hold up pretty well - I've been around the block a few times with my Grand National and haven't heard of any oiling problems.

Jim