: Reflash PCM on 96

locosteelersfan
12-27-05, 04:29 PM
96 Deville. Can you do it. I asked the local dealer and he hasn't gotten back to me after I've called twice in 3 days. I got this tip from a local shop owner who's Cad gave in alot of the same random codes mine is throwing, namely 0101 and just about every 02 code possible.

lbaer84
01-23-06, 02:30 PM
Have you found out anything yet? I'm getting the same P0101 code on my 98 eldorado and it's definitely not the mass air flow sensor at fault (I've replaced it twice, still no luck). Only does this in cold weather. Someone said reflash the pcm. How do you go about doing this?

Larry

locosteelersfan
01-23-06, 02:57 PM
Dealer told me EGR, I haven't gotten it on yet.

lbaer84
01-23-06, 04:44 PM
Cool if that stops the P0101 code from coming up then that might be the prob with mine too.

locosteelersfan
01-25-06, 05:31 PM
Put it on yesterday, didn't change a thing, starting a new thread.

davesdeville
01-26-06, 01:02 AM
You can't reflash the PCM on a 96. You can "reset" the PCM by disconnecting the battery for awhile... I usually leave it disconnected for an hour or more. If it's still throwing codes afterwards, you still have a problem with the part/system that the code is tied to. If for some odd reason the the PCM programming becomes corrupted or something, perhaps the dealer can erase and reflash it.

Zorb750
02-13-06, 05:56 AM
B.S. You can reflash anything. My 1997 was reflashed to correct uneven idle during long coasting (tach would be at 1000 then drop to about 400 then back up to 1000 every 20-30 seconds). Unfortunately, it also Zorked my top speed limiter which I am PISSED about to the point of wanting to SUE the dealer.

I had another Cadillac dealer modify the program (they used to be able to, they just weren't supposed to!) to eliminate a 112MPH limit. Now they need a special approval for a custom program from some part of GM Powertrain, and a VCI number specific to your case, and it EXPIRES the next day so it's good for one day only.

I think that is IDIOTIC! What gives them the right to say that my Eldorado with Continental ContiExtreme tires (SPORT TIRE!) should not be allowed to drive 130+ MPH? I have different shocks, different springs. It's not lowered, I'm not that young and goofy.

Dealers SUCK!

CadillacSTS42005
02-13-06, 12:15 PM
Zorb see that will teach you next time you go car shopping be sure to buy 1 that came from the factor with Z rated tires. obviously im joking this is bullshit the dealer should upgrade the car if your tires meet the specs. I mean for chirst sake ur tellin me some kid who goes out and buys a civic can with no limiter is a safer and more stable car to drive over 112? BS TOTAL BS.

Zorb750
02-13-06, 07:40 PM
Yeah I would have, but this car was near-new perfect and I got it for $7000.I can't really complain.

Either way, as for original question, new flash updates come out all the time, not just when your car is made. A 1996 Deville is more likely than not to have at least three or four updates for it, and you probably don't have the newest, unless your car is exclusively Stealer serviced. If you have a subscription to Alldata, it will tell you all about them. My local library does, so I can use alldata pro for free. :D

davesdeville
02-14-06, 09:51 AM
B.S. You can reflash anything. My 1997 was reflashed to correct uneven idle during long coasting (tach would be at 1000 then drop to about 400 then back up to 1000 every 20-30 seconds). Unfortunately, it also Zorked my top speed limiter which I am PISSED about to the point of wanting to SUE the dealer.

I had another Cadillac dealer modify the program (they used to be able to, they just weren't supposed to!) to eliminate a 112MPH limit. Now they need a special approval for a custom program from some part of GM Powertrain, and a VCI number specific to your case, and it EXPIRES the next day so it's good for one day only.

I think that is IDIOTIC! What gives them the right to say that my Eldorado with Continental ContiExtreme tires (SPORT TIRE!) should not be allowed to drive 130+ MPH? I have different shocks, different springs. It's not lowered, I'm not that young and goofy.

Dealers SUCK!

Dealers are covering their asses, which makes sense. And if you'd managed to finish my post, I did say a dealer can do a "reflash" I meant YOU as in DRIVER couldn't.

mumblypeg
02-17-06, 01:09 AM
Going over 112 is insane, even if you have airplane tires. If people want to that, fine. Just don't do it on public roads that the taxpayers pay for and expect a reasonable level of safety. Going over the ton will get you arrested in many states.

Zorb750
02-17-06, 06:20 AM
I used to race it at an actual track. We never really got much over 130 or so in most cars.