: Anyone have/had a Oldsmobile Aurora?

Blackout
12-24-05, 04:25 PM
Once spring rolls around i will be looking for a newer car and these are my top three cars I'm looking at (Sorry there aren't any Caddies)

Chrysler 300M (Preferrably the Special Edition)
2001 Nissan Maxima
Last Gen. Oldsmobile Aurora

So my question is if you have one or had one how would you rate the car? I'm looking for something reliable and has some get up and go to it and if it has good the build quality ie., any squeekes or rattling or does it feel like a solid car. As of late I have been noticing more and more Aurora's on the road and I really like the last gen. So if you could help me out with just your experience with one that would be lots of help to me.

Playdrv4me
12-24-05, 05:49 PM
I would choose the 300M Special Edition over the 3.5 Aurora, but I would choose the 4.0 Aurora over the 300M.

SilverFleetwood85
12-24-05, 07:17 PM
I would choose the Aurora, because it has a more proven transmission and engine then the Chrysler, and a better ride then the Maxima (the Maxima does not have independent suspension in the rear, it has a solid axle). I do know that the first generation Aurora's had problems with build quality and their electrical system.

davesdeville
12-24-05, 09:43 PM
You know I wouldn't take a Maxima...

But as far as 300M vs Aurora I'd take the Aurora. Chrysler's FWD transmissions from the years you're looking at tend to break.

If you get an Aurora don't let your dad know there's a Northstar or derivitave of a N* in there...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-24-05, 09:49 PM
Well if you get an 02-03 Maxima with the 3.5 V6 it revs smoothly and quickly and is a very quick, luxurious car (for a Nissan) and you can get a 6 speed manual too, none of the other cars offer that. But they dont ride as smooth as the 300 or Aurora. I would go with the Maxima. I dont like how the Aurora looks, and I just dont like 300M's I think it looks like a jelly bean and I've heard bad reviews of the engine & tranny.

Jesda
12-25-05, 01:07 AM
Revised Chrysler FWD trannies from 98 and up are pretty good. The 3.5 V6 from Chrysler is a great, durable engine with a long lineage. Little electrical things like power window switches and regulators can be a nuisance on the 300. Overall, build quality on the Aurora is better.

LaneWvr
12-25-05, 01:57 AM
Good selection of cars there, I like them all. I like the way the 300 looks but only driven those short distances. So I don't know much on how they drive. The Max looks nice and alot more fun to drive, more of a sports sedan than the others. I actually worked at an Olds dealer for a year when. I drove the second gen Aurora alot. They drive real nice and the v8 has good power. It's also alot nicer than the rest. If you can afford the maintaince I would buy the Aurora.

Blackout
12-25-05, 09:56 AM
Yeah because I'm really up in the air about these cars. Katshot had a 1999 Chrysler 300M when they first came out and it was a really nice car and it had a lot of options on it to that were really nice. But once the 300M Special Editions came out it was all over. HID's, dual exhaust, nice wheels, and the ground effects made the car stand out really nice. The Maxima i want because I had good look with my 1989 Maxima and that had over 200k miles on the engine and tranny and it ran like it was brand new. My friend had a 2001 Maxima SE and he beat the dog shit out of it and he never had any problems with it. But the main reason I want this car is its a reliable car, its the only one out of the three that you can get in a stick shift, and it has the best aftermarket available for it of the 3. The Aurora I like because i just think its a very sexy looking car. Of course I'd opt for the 4.0 instead but in all honesty besides the looks of the car I know zero about it

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-25-05, 10:18 AM
Blackout, why not a 1998 Lincoln Continental with the same Intech 32 Valve V8 as your Mark VIII?

Jesda
12-25-05, 12:55 PM
The Maxima will be the cheapest to own and most entertaining to upgrade and modify, but the interior of that 300 is simply beautiful. I love the curved swoopy dash with that classy analog clock. Resale keeps dropping on the 99s. I'm gonna have to get one soon.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-25-05, 01:00 PM
I never liked the way the 300's exterior looked, but I remember they have a great interior.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-25-05, 01:05 PM
Nope scratch that, I dont like those at all. My friends dad has an '01 Concorde LXI and we went out for a drive in that one night, and we all got nauseous after riding in that car. I cannot figure out why. I think it was because we took turns sitting in the backseat and in that car, you cannot see the dash from the backseat, you sit very low in that car, it feels like you're in a cave.
Something like that....

brougham
12-26-05, 02:46 PM
The 300M is more reliable then an Aurora is. I don't like any of those cars too much but if I had to get one of them that's what I'd take.

DBA-One
12-26-05, 05:21 PM
My wife's uncle had a 300M. He praised the car up and down. I liked it as well.

Jesda
12-27-05, 02:16 AM
$3500+ can get you a 99 300M with 140k+. Im tempted to grab one in the summer.

SilverFleetwood85
12-27-05, 03:01 AM
$3500+ can get you a 99 300M with 140k+. Im tempted to grab one in the summer.

I would be careful buying a 300m with that amount of miles.

Jesda
12-27-05, 11:43 AM
Likely no worse than a high-mileage Seville or Eldo, probably more reliable. The 3.5 is one heck of a dependable engine with no issues. The only concern is the tranny, which was beefed up in 1998 for the entire Chrysler LH line. Add auxilary cooler, drive away.

Blackout
12-28-05, 09:07 AM
Blackout, why not a 1998 Lincoln Continental with the same Intech 32 Valve V8 as your Mark VIII?I dunno. I'm not looking to have to deal with air bag issues again. And the Mark VIII has the DOHC while the Continental has the SOHC. I dunno there are so many cars out there in the price range I'm looking at that I am most likely forgetting a few

JC316
12-28-05, 03:04 PM
Nope, the 96 and up Contienetal has the same DOHC motor that the Mark VIII uses. As for the Lincoln airbags, you can get a coil springs for the Mark VIII. I know of several guys on the Mark VIII forums that have done it. Get another Mark or a Seville.

ben72227
12-30-05, 02:16 AM
Either the Aurora or the Maxima; both are good. I'd stay away from Chrysler products, especially the older 300s

Blackout
12-30-05, 10:41 AM
I did the coil over conversion with my Mark VIII with the 2" lowering option. Looked nice but it would bottom out real easy. But what its mostly going to come down to is a test drive and there are quite a few cars that are on the list but its going to be as to which one I like best

AlBundy
12-30-05, 10:46 PM
Being a Ford Lincoln person why wouldn't you go for the Mustange GT or the Shelby Cobra or Cobra from past years. Reading your posts I thought I would never read about you considering any other product thats not Ford. I'm not bashing you it's just that its nice to consider other things not just cars that are in your realm.

Blackout
12-30-05, 11:43 PM
I'm not really a Ford guy. I like what any car company has to offer. But in this case I'm looking for a sedan thats worth while and Ford doesn't have that unless I look at their companies ie., Mercury, or Lincoln

AlBundy
12-30-05, 11:53 PM
Very good thinking. Cheers to you.

Lord Cadillac
12-31-05, 08:26 AM
Personally, I'd take the Aurora.. I've always liked it. Very comfortable interior.. The guys on oldsmobileforums.com talk very hightly about the last generation..

Katshot
12-31-05, 08:55 AM
Being a Ford Lincoln person why wouldn't you go for the Mustange GT or the Shelby Cobra or Cobra from past years. Reading your posts I thought I would never read about you considering any other product thats not Ford. I'm not bashing you it's just that its nice to consider other things not just cars that are in your realm.

LOL!!
That's funny! You notice the short list he's looking at? If he had the money for a Shelby Cobra, you think he'd be even considering the cars he mentioned? He's trying to be smart and get a car that's solid, safe, comfortable, and fun to drive. All while finding one that's also nice to look at and not too expesive to insure. As for his list, personally, I can't imagine having the Aurora on that list but it's his list. SOmething tells me his list will change before he gets anywhere near buying anything. Personally, I think he'd love a Marauder. We'll see.