: P0442 code

lawnpatio
12-24-05, 12:29 PM
I just got a scan from autozone and it came back as a P0442, which is Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Small Leak Detected. The worker there said that it could be that I didn't turn the gas cap on tight enough. However, this is the second time I have received this code. Any ideas??

1998catera
12-25-05, 06:39 PM
Yeah. I have a 1998 Catera and I have the P0411 code. Same type of problem and they told me the same thing about the gas cap. For me, it was a load of bull. I have a feeling that either it may have been a legit reason, or they didn't want to deal with some high school kid. Still working on it though.

lawnpatio
12-26-05, 09:43 PM
Let me know what you find out...thanks!

hijiliak
04-09-11, 10:32 PM
I too had an autozone scan just a few days ago-- (1998 catera) the car drives fine, but dislike this engine check light. I got the same code P0442 (and P0116).
odd, Ive heard this gas cap issue on other cars too - could be with mine because the little round disc on the gas cap -- 1/2 of it broke off. Then again, it could be a exhaust leak... I think. I was told to turn the gas cap until it clicks 3 times - so disconnect your battery and try it again -- see if it comes on. Does this code affect your car's preformance?