: N* engine mount bushings...what happens if...

powerglide
12-21-03, 07:44 PM
My 98 Deville with 71K miles has worn bushings/engine mounts? (the cylindrical rubber piece in the hinge with the bolt through it is broken up into chunks and cracked)

The part is rubber or silicone...located where the dog bone connecting the engine to the frame meets.

What symptoms would this give the car?

Should I fix this right away or can I wait?

Is it an easy DIY? (need jacks, special tools etc?)

Thanks in advance

AKPsiMC03
12-21-03, 11:32 PM
when these break they will put additional stress on the motor mount in the front of the engine. That will in turn wear out very quickly... replace them soon, the set of 2 from gmpartsdirect.com cost about $95 (thats for the whole wishbone with bushings and the metal bracket on the front of it

powerglide
12-22-03, 12:03 AM
when these break they will put additional stress on the motor mount in the front of the engine. That will in turn wear out very quickly... replace them soon, the set of 2 from gmpartsdirect.com cost about $95 (thats for the whole wishbone with bushings and the metal bracket on the front of it
cool, you need to replace the whole assembly? (not just the bushings?)
is it a roadside job (don;t have a garage)

AKPsiMC03
12-22-03, 12:14 PM
well you can replace just the bushings if you want... but you have to find them first, then have them pressed in... by the time its done you are prob paying what a new assembly will cost. and you will be saving a few hours time.

each one takes no more than 5 min to replace and you only need a few wrenches to do it.

it can be done in a driveway or on the side of the street, hell, you could probably stop a busy rail road crossing an do both before the next train comes (but i highly dont recomend that).

in other words, its a VERY easy job.

AKPsiMC03
12-22-03, 12:21 PM
oh yeah, by the way, GM lists those as "torque struts" not engine mounts.

powerglide
12-23-03, 05:07 PM
oh yeah, by the way, GM lists those as "torque struts" not engine mounts.
sounds reasonable to me!

(I have the GM service manual...it has a long procedure on replacing torque struts involving lifting the car THEN lifting the engine with a jack to unload the pretension in the mounts and torque struts. Also mentiions you need a special tooL (somekind of engine jig).....is this all not needed stuff. (I was gonna just unbolt one and replace them one at a time let the other dogbone hold the weight....)

AKPsiMC03
12-23-03, 07:30 PM
i dunno... i did it one at a time with it on the ground and no support on the engine. the motor mount and the tranny mounts should keep the motor from moving.

powerglide
01-06-04, 08:13 PM
how do i get a part number fo this torque strut?