: Now having trouble in a different way

denscor
12-23-05, 07:22 PM
Went down to start car and battery was dead no big deal got battery charger out and charged it. Display on dash flashing no battery charge so took battery out of Vette (optima, grant you the vette has not been started in 2 months so it was low on charge) Car ran good for a while battery started going south started missing ect the speedo on dash stays at 110 and the tack doesn't work now! What is happening?

Ranger
12-23-05, 09:51 PM
Check the battery cables. Any corrosion? Look closely as it will sometimes get under the insulation. Next would be the grounds. Take a jumper cable and make a redundant ground. Run it from the battery ground to a good clean ground and see if that makes a difference.

zonie77
12-23-05, 11:53 PM
When it was running with the new battery what was the voltage. Sounds like the alternator went so it isn't charging the battery.

denscor
12-24-05, 01:03 AM
I will check it out on monday. Is that causing the speedo to act up and tack not to work? It has a heated windshield also. Must be pulling all the juice out of the car!

Eldyfig
12-24-05, 04:40 AM
Irregular voltage going to the pcm will cause it to react oddly. Many times it is the corrosion at the cable ends.

lry99eldo
12-24-05, 09:38 AM
Cables are the most common cause of this sort. The insulation on them will prevent seeing the corrosion, which acts like a blocked artery. When I have battery related problems, I check out everything that has to do with the charging system.
lry99eldo