: what year is my car??

lawnpatio
12-23-05, 03:51 PM
Here is a kicker. I bought my Catera and I thought it was a 1998 model. The title said it was '98 so I just assumed it was. However, I recently did a VIN check and it comes back saying my car is a 1999. So I was excited that it was a newer model. However, when I purchased a new O2 sensor (for a 1999 model) the plug is wrong. I checked online and the plug I need matches the 1998 model. Whats going on? Which would be more accurate? Obviously, my car has 1998 parts (my oil filter and O2 sensors are) but the VIN says its a 1999. Any ideas??

Vesicant
12-23-05, 05:57 PM
Here is a kicker. I bought my Catera and I thought it was a 1998 model. The title said it was '98 so I just assumed it was. However, I recently did a VIN check and it comes back saying my car is a 1999. So I was excited that it was a newer model. However, when I purchased a new O2 sensor (for a 1999 model) the plug is wrong. I checked online and the plug I need matches the 1998 model. Whats going on? Which would be more accurate? Obviously, my car has 1998 parts (my oil filter and O2 sensors are) but the VIN says its a 1999. Any ideas??

Have you changed the sparkplugs yet or looked in that area? If thats just plain wires n plugs then its a 98 or older . 1999 models use Coil on plug and thats a giant all in one strip consisting of the coils and plug boots. 1999's also have electronic throttle control on the throttle body and its real easy to spot- just a box attached on the left HAND side of the throttle body. Only 1999-01's have this. It is true also that 1999-01's have different 02 sensors and this might be something thats getting messed up as you say your car seems to be accepting 98 parts :hmm:

Did you by chance purchase a universal 02 sensor? Apparently those wont work. This might be an issue where the engine was changed out to an older model. Otherwise if the 98' part works than uh I guess that'd be what you get. It could also be the website giving you the wrong year 02 sensor ... etc.

Uh...

CateraSport2000
12-24-05, 12:12 AM
What month and year was it manufactured? That's the easiest way to tell! It should be located in the driver's door jamb.

Jeff

Vesicant
12-24-05, 12:19 AM
What month and year was it manufactured? That's the easiest way to tell! It should be located in the driver's door jamb.
Jeff

Hmmm...

+1 :thumbsup:

lawnpatio
01-18-06, 06:11 PM

Jeff

Hey Jeff,
I just checked the month/year that it was manufactured is 3/98. I wonder if that would be a 99 since it would take some time to transport the car from Germany, and new cars typically begin to sell before the new year offically starts.

OpelOmegaB
01-18-06, 09:33 PM
Hmmm...

+1 :thumbsup:

Real easy:

If your eight digit from the right in your VIN is:
"W" than it's a 1998
"X" than it's a 1999

Best regards

lawnpatio
01-19-06, 08:37 PM
Thanks, but that means my car is a 1998 :( ...thought it was a '99

ewill3rd
01-19-06, 09:32 PM
The VIN identifies the production model year. All questions about this go back to just what Opel said.

Is it possible that someone replaced some major components in your car before you got it which might be from another year car?
Just a thought.

Sometimes they make changes in production in the middle of a year just to piss everyone off too, so even though it's a 98 it could still have some 99 stuff on it.