: 200 Deville occasionally won't Idle when starting warm

justjustin
12-23-05, 01:26 PM
Hi, the car starts cold and idles but when it has been driven, then let sit for a while and restarted it will die within minutes of restart and sometimes will just barely start. If you get it to start, it will not idle, you have to idle it with the pedal.

Any clues?

My local shop can't fit me in for 2 to 3 weeks!
They are pretty stinky, too, cause I did not buy it from them so I have to drive an hour or more to get decent service.

Thanks in advance,

Justin.

asilverblazer
12-23-05, 02:39 PM
The newer GM trucks are prone to the fuel pressure regulator going bad, makes for long crank times/hard starting when the engine is warm. If the engine is cold they start up fine. Might be something to look into.

mcowden
12-23-05, 04:04 PM
Yeah, it sounds exactly like a leaking fuel pressure regulator (FPR). It's an easy fix if that's the problem. If you take the top cover off the engine, locate the fuel rail tube that connects all of the injectors together on top of the intake. Somewhere on that fuel rail there is a small metal canister that has a vacuum hose connected to it. Start the engine and pull off the vacuum line from that metal canister. If you see fuel leaking from the vacuum nipple on the FPR, it is bad and needs to be replaced. You can get one and do it yourself in 5 minutes time with no tools and it will cost about $50-$60.

justjustin
12-23-05, 04:34 PM
Great advice, I will try that asap and post results.Thanks both of you, Justin.

justjustin
12-23-05, 04:43 PM
wow, that WAS easy!
No fuel leaks out when idling.
Does the car need to be having a fit when I do this
test or should the test produce the same results either
way?

TIA,

Justin.

asilverblazer
12-23-05, 06:47 PM
I believe it needs to be in fits.

justjustin
12-23-05, 07:16 PM
Well, I just ordered the thing - $40 delivered from Rockauto
and will change it. Even if it is not the problem, it is cheap and
easy.

Any other ideas are appreciated.

Justin.

Ranger
12-23-05, 07:27 PM
A bad FPR usually leaks, but not always.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51523&highlight=FPR

mcowden
12-24-05, 02:05 AM
Well, I just ordered the thing - $40 delivered from Rockauto
and will change it. Even if it is not the problem, it is cheap and
easy.

Any other ideas are appreciated.

Justin.

Justin, the car does *not* need to be having fits to test the FPR. If it's leaking, it's going to leak all the time. On mine, as Ranger has already mentioned, I had to put a vacuum on it by hand to see that it was leaking. It only leaked under vacuum, so every time I checked it, there was no gas but I still had the hot restart problem. Replaced it and no more problems at all. I think you're on the right track.

justjustin
12-24-05, 02:25 AM
Thanks again for you help.

I will let you all know what comes of it in about a week
when I get it changed out.

Sure sounds like the same problem others have had
with the temperature factors seeming to be the same
as well as the symptoms.

Thanks all!

Justin.

justjustin
01-08-06, 04:01 PM
O.K. got the regulator, when I turned the old one upside down, no fuel came out the vacuum nipple.

Changed it out anyway but car still dies at idle occasionally, and hot starts after sitting a little while can be tough occasionally. Seems that if you put your foot on the gas it stops it from dying and will start then as well but it is hard to be positive as it rarely does it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks much,

Justin.

Ranger
01-08-06, 06:43 PM
Put a fuel pressure guage on it. See if it holds pressure after shut down. Maybe a leaky injector.

mcowden
01-08-06, 06:57 PM
It could also be a failing idle air control valve. Have you ever cleaned the throttle body? Use the Search feature above and look for throttle body cleaning and you'll find lots of instructions for how to do it. It's easy, requires very little skill, doesn't take long, and only very basic tools required. It might just solve your idle problem and it needs to be done anyway. When it's clean, disconnect the battery for 60 seconds to clear out the idle values and start 'er up.