: The Tornado DOES work.

CadillacSTS42005
12-23-05, 12:56 PM
OK before i state this i know there are going to be quite a few people who state, "if a little faned peice of metal would increase performace and mpg then cadillac would of installed them at the factory." Well guess what they didnt and it really works. My boss at my one job bought a new H3 Hummer installed it and is getting an aditional 2 mpg as for "performace increases" that im not sure on. Before you ask what does he know about cars? he has owned a garage in West Homestead for over 30 years. He has restored several cars including a 70's Impala, 56 T-Bird, 50's Plymouth etc etc etc. I know he convinced me to go and pick one up for my ETC will probably be getting it today because my led foot and 15.2 MPG aint cutting it.

Kev
12-23-05, 01:24 PM
I hate to burst any bubbles but, if the tornado does cause an increase in performance and fuel economy it will have defied the laws of physics.

Placing that in the air intake will cause turbulence that is certain, it will also reduce the volume of flow as it will be a slight restriction. Since we are talking about a normally aspirated intake as opposed to forced induction, the restriction may actually reduce performance. Also, it is questionable as to whether the turbulence is a benefit in an intake system.

I hope it doesn't cost you much to purchase.

hkd
12-23-05, 01:33 PM
you might see an increase in mpg, but thats because its restricting air, which requires less fuel, which also kills 'performance' so as stated, you cant have both without defying the laws of physics.

danbuc
12-23-05, 01:56 PM
Well, I can tell you from personal experience that the Tornado will not increase your performance. At my school, we tried one out using multiple vehicles including a Celica GTS, Civic SI, '04 GTO, 1999 Z28 Camaro, and 1994 Z28 Camaro just to name a few. Each time, the dynojet read the exact same HP and TQ reading with and without it. The concept behind the Tornado is sound, but not possible where it is mounted. Once that swirl hits the various plenums inside the intake manifold it's broken down anyway, not to mention that if you have a MAF sensor with a screen, then it's completely useless since the screen is there specifically to "straighten" the airflow as it hits the MAF sensor wire.

In order to properly road test a car before and after the install of a Tornado, you have to have someone drive the car who doesn't knwo it's in there. Otherwise you'll end up with the same situation as the K&N filter, where it "feel" faster, or "sounds" more powerful or what have you. The Psychological aspect regarding what you see, and what you think you see can easily scew the data you get from a modification such as this. It's best to test it without the owner of the vehicle knowing. Keep in mind though, that this is just my opinion, although it just so happens to be shared by many other here. Good luck with the hunk of metal in your intake.

Stoneage_Caddy
12-23-05, 02:02 PM
at 70 bucks for the unit how long would it take you to recoup the cost?

this is not unlike what some doctors call the "placebo" effect , i bet if i measured his throttle useage before and after the unit was installed i could tell you that he is actually "babying" the hummer without knowing he is doing it ....

any "swirl" effect is lost after the air passes by the throttle plates , and intake manifold , not to mention the valves ...

a lower restriction air filter will net you a bigger gain on MPG than the torando , while i dont recomend the k&n and copy cat filters , the cost savings over buying a filter every few thousand miles and mpg gain make it more worthwhile than something i can have Kev make for me in his spare time at work (right proud unoin tinner buddy?)

Stoneage_Caddy
12-23-05, 02:03 PM
danbunc , you and i managed to get on the same wavelength LOL

CadillacSTS42005
12-23-05, 02:58 PM
im just basing my finding on what i was told and he is a very reputable source so i trust in his findings and he is no light foot he enjoys trying to climb anythign he can with his truck

cruzajc1
12-23-05, 03:01 PM
I am from a small country in Africa and was recently exiled, but I have $25 MILLION DOLLARS and need your bank account and pin number to deposit the money in an account. Youw ill get 50% if you help, but I must also have all your credit card information ... Tornado hahahahahaha Sorry I couldn't resist hahahahaha

mcowden
12-23-05, 03:55 PM
Not only does the Tornado work, but if you combine it with Slick-50, fuel line magnets, a K&N air filter, the Turbonator, Z-Max, DuraLube, Prolong, the Fish carburetor, and Splitfire spark plugs, you will get such awesome mileage that the engine will actually MAKE gas and you'll have to drain all the excess fuel out of the tank when it gets overfull! (thanks to our old friend Rob for that last reference)

As has already been mentioned, the MAF screen will take most of the turbulence right back out of the air flow, and even if it didn't, the throttle blade would do it, and even if that didn't do it, the shape of the intake would. The Tornado is as useless as mammary glands on a billy goat unless you're the owner of the company that sells them. Think it through. Try real hard. If you want to put more air through the engine, install a high-flow exhaust system and one of eldorado1's 80mm throttle bodies. The Tornado isn't going to get you anything but ridicule.

Why don't you put that money somewhere useful, like in a savings account or a college fund instead and stop trying to re-engineer something that was designed by lots of people much more knowledgeable with test equipment a little more sophisticated and accurate than some dude with a Hummer who likes to climb rocks. If your car is getting crappy gas mileage, you have to fix whatever problem is causing it, and that may very well come down to your driving habits or how much air is in your tires.

EcSTSatic
12-23-05, 03:55 PM
PT Barnum was right!!

ewill3rd
12-23-05, 04:29 PM
I am not joining any any type of abuse here, but realistically your boss or whoever he is could increase his mpg by 2mpg just by changing his driving habits. The fact that he installed this device to improve his mileage may have subconciously caused him to drive in a different way just to see if he could increase his mpg.

There is no scientific study based on ONE person. Just because it may have "worked" on one vehicle doesn't mean it will work on all, or for that matter another one just like his. If he drove it like a maniac before and now he's trying to get better mileage, as I said, just changing the way he drives could give him better than a 2 mpg change.

Not only that but I question the way most people calculate their mpg. Is he using the trip odometer and the amount of gas he is putting in or is he just watching the little trip computer that tells him his mileage. The direction of the wind could affect his mileage!

Ranger
12-23-05, 07:50 PM
PT Barnum was right!!
You beat me to it. :histeric:

CadillactETC1997,
If your boss owned a garage, one would think he knows better. Either he is very naive and gullable, or he is pulling your leg and you took the bait.

AlBundy
12-23-05, 11:27 PM
I haven't looked but maybe there is a ebay sell on them, from what I can tell once most people have came to visite this site, they might be selling theirs for some kind of refund. Not that any forum member will admit it. I considered it but after searching this forum decided against it. It's your money do what you feel regardless of what other's say. Experience is the best teacher.

illumina
12-24-05, 02:16 AM
And just to think that there are ads on this very site promoting the 'Tornado.'

ewill3rd
12-24-05, 10:58 AM
I am all for trying it for yourself, yes, experience is the best teacher.
I just wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

ShadowLvr400
12-24-05, 11:45 AM
I'll admit, I actually had tested it on my 97 Eldo long ago. I drove 2 weeks, and did indeed pick up about 1 mpg. However, I also went to the track, did 4 runs wi it, 3 runs without it. The runs wih it were all 15.x usually .1 or .2... The runs without were all 14.8 .9 So, the Tornado saves gas, steals power. Enjoy. Mock me for testing it, but I experimented with a lot of things in the search for power. Nitrous was my biggest gain and problem. The tornado was relatively harmless. :P

EcSTSatic
12-24-05, 11:06 PM
Here's a report I posted a while back written by Popular Mechanics (http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59343&highlight=popular) called "Looking for a Miracle".

davesdeville
12-25-05, 04:29 AM
"Rob" is a better source than your guy. Sorry.

lry99eldo
12-25-05, 12:00 PM
I'd have to agree with the statement that the Tornado is "The tornado was relatively harmless." It's mass isn't enough to choke an engine into not running, yet it is mass, equaling an obstruction. I've addressed this subject here before and the only way a "swirll" could be effective is to build it right into the intake tract runner, and end right at the back of the intake valve. This has been tested over the years and shown to be benificial to power, yet prohibitive to production. The cost of producing an intake manifold of this type would be astronomical and would not guarantee measurable results on a production basis.
The Tornado just turns out to be one of those automotive kitsch items that attracts attention enough to be viable for producing revenue, period.
cadillacELDO1997, have you tried this Tornado along with the addition of acetone as you have propitiated in earlier posts? Nuff said.
lry99eldo

thu
12-25-05, 02:59 PM
In order to properly road test a car before and after the install of a Tornado, you have to have someone drive the car who doesn't knwo it's in there. Otherwise you'll end up with the same situation as the K&N filter, where it "feel" faster, or "sounds" more powerful or what have you. The Psychological aspect regarding what you see, and what you think you see can easily scew the data you get from a modification such as this. It's best to test it without the owner of the vehicle knowing. Keep in mind though, that this is just my opinion, although it just so happens to be shared by many other here. Good luck with the hunk of metal in your intake.
EXACTLY - every test needs a Control as well as the Experiment. Otherwise, the result of the test is invalid and subject to the subjectiveness of the tester. Better yet, it's better that the tester doesn't even know what he's testing. This is called a Double Blind Control. The drug industry as well as many, many other industries use this to validate the results of their tests.

Did we not all learn this back in frickin' Grade School??!??!?!

Trench
12-25-05, 05:00 PM
Jesus Christ stop bashing him to hell. He just gave some information he received. Nothing more. Not to mention, no one here knows how the tornado will act on every single engine ever produced. Given that fact, lay off. You don't know.

does the Tornado work? Damn near everyone will agree that it does NOT work. FAct be told. It almost never works. Well, damn near never. Once in a great while I'm sure it will get lucky. Did it work for his buddy? I doubt it, but WE DO NOT KNOW. It is possible that after he put the tornado in, he started to ride the truck a lot lighter, without realizing it. Bottom line, None of us know.

Not like he was claiming this as a miracle and calling everyone a retard. It was Just some freindly information he thought some of us might like to read.

Dustin

CadillacSTS42005
12-26-05, 10:34 PM
thanx alot trench for stickin up for me i was just tryin to help with the forum i guess ill stick down at car audio where i kno what im talkin about

terrible one
12-26-05, 11:07 PM
Where was that link about someone doing real tests on it, maybe Popular Mechanics or something, and what it really did was decrease performance and economy?

AlBundy
12-26-05, 11:14 PM
CadillacETC1997, trust me I only make jokes about the tornado because of what I've read on the forum. I'm not trying to bash you or offend you in anyway. If I did, I'm sorry, but I still support your personal experiment into this issue. Remember the world was once flat and everybody believed it.

Playdrv4me
12-26-05, 11:18 PM
Not only does the Tornado work, but if you combine it with Slick-50, fuel line magnets, a K&N air filter, the Turbonator, Z-Max, DuraLube, Prolong, the Fish carburetor, and Splitfire spark plugs, you will get such awesome mileage that the engine will actually MAKE gas and you'll have to drain all the excess fuel out of the tank when it gets overfull! (thanks to our old friend Rob for that last reference)

:histeric:

Ranger
12-27-05, 12:15 AM
thanx alot trench for stickin up for me i was just tryin to help with the forum i guess ill stick down at car audio where i kno what im talkin about
I don't think anyone was attacking you personally, (I certainly wasn't) as much as attacking the "Tornado". That piece of crap is one of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on the driving public and I just hate to see people getting rich by scamming the unsuspecting public who believe there is "truth in advertising".

Jesda
12-27-05, 03:15 AM
My contribution to this thread is: "HELL NO!"

powerglide
12-27-05, 03:56 AM
Not the friggin 'tornado' again..............the bottom line is, if one can realize a measurable increase in fuel efficiency by installing this thingy, it will be in all cars straight from the factory.

cl1986
03-07-06, 10:04 AM
Cant we just save $70 and restrict air a little cheaper?? I can put all kinds of crap in that intake tube to reduce air!!!

D148L0
03-07-06, 02:19 PM
No, you don't.

Jonas McFeely
03-07-06, 03:23 PM
LOL,you guys are hurting feelings.Any person that knows anything about anything automotive knows that the Tornado and all of its buddies throughout the years are 100% bullshit.You were not getting personally attacked,your retarded information was.I know i dont post the most educated knowledgable information,that you can take really seriosuly,but come on,any car guy who knows about the tornado knows its garbage.I think everyones responses are justified.Good thread though.

Me : "I know i dont post the most educated knowledgable information"

Night Wolf : "you can say that again"

Saved you the trouble :)

cl1986
03-07-06, 07:53 PM
No, you don't.

You dont know everythign either, you about screwed up my system in my car!!

Im saying this to be funny, but it was true

Zorb750
03-07-06, 09:35 PM
Cant we just save $70 and restrict air a little cheaper?? I can put all kinds of crap in that intake tube to reduce air!!!

YES, you CAN!

FREE! Come one come all! I have discovered the next breakthrough in restrictive air efficiency enhancing devices! I know I should sell this knowledge for at least $500, because you will be able to use it on every gasoline or diesel car you EVER buy from now on!

BUT... Since we are all friends here, I'm GIVING MY SECRET AWAY! Yes, my friends, you got it right, GIVING it away! It's YOURS, for FREE, FOREVER!

All you have to do is not change your air filter! You see, a dirty air filter is the best "limited" restriction device available, and since you all have air filters (hopefully :alchi: ), all you have to do is let it get dirty, then don't change it until your car doesn't run at all, and repeat the cycle!

This mod my friends isn't only FREE, but it costs LESS than running your car Unmodified!

Stoneage_Caddy
03-07-06, 09:48 PM
oh shit ...i just realized i hadnt clean my K&N in 13 months ....i bet its terrible ...man i cant belive ive forgotten it this long ...

Florian
03-07-06, 10:00 PM
The Tornado is as useless as mammary glands on a billy goat

I find billy goat mams quite useful :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

F

illumina
03-07-06, 10:11 PM
LOL,you guys are hurting feelings.Any person that knows anything about anything automotive knows that the Tornado and all of its buddies throughout the years are 100% bullshit.You were not getting personally attacked,your retarded information was.I know i dont post the most educated knowledgable information,that you can take really seriosuly,but come on,any car guy who knows about the tornado knows its garbage.I think everyones responses are justified.Good thread though.

Me : "I know i dont post the most educated knowledgable information"

Night Wolf : "you can say that again"

Saved you the trouble :)

That's sooooo not true LOL!!! The Tornado (TM) does plenty to keep it from being called garbage!!!

Proof you ask?

a.) It can be used as a bird feeder,
b.) It can also be used as a bird trap,
c.) It can be used for a new, break-through frisbee game,
d.) It can be used for a garden spinkler,
e.) You can solve several hundred trig triangles with it,
f.) You can use it for shaving,
g.) You can use it for cutting various vegetables such as cabbage and carrots,
h.) You can also use it for a replacement garbage disposal in your kitchen sink,
i.) And the best thing the Tornado (TM) can be used for is massive amounts of horsepower!!! If you add in some type "S" stickers, I'll bet at least a gain of 45 ponies!!! LOL!

By the way, I proved most of the above theories because I've seen the Tornado (TM) used in most of the aforementioned ways...:D

cl1986
03-07-06, 10:12 PM
oh shit ...i just realized i hadnt clean my K&N in 13 months ....i bet its terrible ...man i cant belive ive forgotten it this long ...

Well u should be getting great milage then!!!!

Jonas McFeely
03-07-06, 11:32 PM
That's sooooo not true LOL!!! The Tornado (TM) does plenty to keep it from being called garbage!!!

Proof you ask?

a.) It can be used as a bird feeder,
b.) It can also be used as a bird trap,
c.) It can be used for a new, break-through frisbee game,
d.) It can be used for a garden spinkler,
e.) You can solve several hundred trig triangles with it,
f.) You can use it for shaving,
g.) You can use it for cutting various vegetables such as cabbage and carrots,
h.) You can also use it for a replacement garbage disposal in your kitchen sink,
i.) And the best thing the Tornado (TM) can be used for is massive amounts of horsepower!!! If you add in some type "S" stickers, I'll bet at least a gain of 45 ponies!!! LOL!

By the way, I proved most of the above theories because I've seen the Tornado (TM) used in most of the aforementioned ways...:D

LOL! garbage disposal?Great,i can totally picture it in my sink chopping up all of my old food and whatever else i throw in there. Yeah stickers make your car faster,i put a "powered by honda" sticker on my old crx and i swear i beat like 3 Z06's,the new ones too.

D148L0
03-08-06, 01:12 PM
You dont know everythign either, you about screwed up my system in my car!!

Im saying this to be funny, but it was true
I'm sure of that.

D148L0
03-08-06, 01:38 PM
Really? Let’s do some memory. Here is your latest problem (not the first time I help you):

94 Eldo.
I cant figure out what to do here. I bought a Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 sub and built a 1 cf box sealed that Infinity recommends. It sounds great!! It really pounds out deep lows and is very loud bass. This is when im working on it with the trunk open and a door open.
As soon as i close the door and trunk, my bass is reduced by about 80%. It still has a nice kick and deep lows, but my hair doesnt shake and i can still breathe ok. What do i have to do to get the kicking bass without leaving the trunk open??
Whats the answer??

I’m not going to review his or your “brilliant” ideas before I came with this, supported by odin8 and big_blue:

Take the 6x9 out, leave the holes open. Place the subs facing backwards (the cone pointing to the rear end of the car). You will be amazed by the difference.
As etc1997 said, more power will help. That sub is rated at 350 watts RMS. Your 175 (RMS?) are not the best option.

The outcome?

Ok, super sweet. 6x9's out, fired the sub from pass to drivers side in trunk. Even put rear seat fiberglass panel back in, it didnt lower the bass like i thought it would. Bass is almost as loud as when trunk is open, but this is by far way better than before.

Before with the trunk open, lets call the bass at 10-Trunk closed bass is a 3-Trunk closed with both 6x9's removed is a 8-Trunk closed with both 6x9's removed and both windows cracked about 1" is about a 9.

You are welcome, man. Grateful people like you make it better.

cl1986
03-08-06, 07:15 PM
You forgot the part where i was cutting wires up by the indash, when my amp was in the trunk by the antenna and i had everything messed up.......

I just said you dont know everything, not that you dont have good suggestions.

So quit picking on people, you started it.

Kev
03-08-06, 08:35 PM
Time to cool your jets people! :tisk: