: I just realized something

Elvis
12-22-05, 06:19 PM
We're all just a bunch of little six-year-old boys who never got tired of playing with our Matchbox cars.

Seriously, this is ALL we do, surf the internet looking at cool cars, playing with the ones we have, and dreaming of the next one we're going to get.

It doesn't matter how many or which ones I get, I'm always going to want something else.

I'm not much different today than I was in 1970. :yup:

http://i20.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/c4/0f/af_3.JPG

mccombie_5
12-22-05, 06:23 PM
I have the Rolls Royce in the middle :D

And yes, youre right, some of us still collect the toys too!

I'll trade ya a Rover Sterling for the Jaguar Mark X :lildevil:

Its all true, it was more like 1967 for me

Adam
12-22-05, 06:40 PM
uh... i uh still collect them... i have and have had my dream car so i am cool for now. and it is more like 1991 for me... :thumbsup:

Kev
12-22-05, 06:46 PM
Yes, it was around 1967 on a Sunday morning. We were coming home from church and as we drove up to our little house my Dad noticed something amiss. There were a couple of kids scrambling out from our back yard! The dirty little curmudgeons had burgled us whilst we were worshiping! The nerve! :cop:

The shame of it was, as I have said before, we grew up poor and didn't have much of value but what we did have, they got. We each (my brother and I) had a collector's suitcase for Matchbox cars and they were nearly full of our favorite little fleet. They also grabbed our piggy banks and broke them down the street, taking the meager contents with them. :crying:

Well, needless to say we were horribly devastated. It had taken us years (at least two or three) to acquire our little collections and it was not likely we would be able to replace them. We knew who the kids were, they were neighbors of one of my friends. While at his house I saw the kids playing with my Matchbox cars. When I confronted them, they said; "Prove it." and then their oldest sister beat me up. :want::hitstick:

It was a humiliating and ignominious occurrence which haunted me for years to come. :( :nono:

mccombie_5
12-22-05, 06:49 PM
Poor Kev......

Nearly made me cry :crying2:

Little Barstuards

Kev
12-22-05, 06:52 PM
Indeed.

mccombie_5
12-22-05, 06:54 PM
Indeed.

I think we shoudl go round there and get them back :D

Now you know bigger boys!

Kev
12-22-05, 07:02 PM
Yes, the joys of retribution! The thrill of the fight! When I was young and weak I was often the prey of bullies. When I grew big and strong enough to defend myself the bullies seems scarce for some reason. The lousy cowards. When I did see those who had previously abused me I considered revenge but decided to leave them to God and fate (you reap what you sow).

Ironically, I know of two of my nemesis who've expired from opiate toxemia.

mccombie_5
12-22-05, 07:08 PM
Alot of the people I went to school with, friends and foes, are now deceased. There were three of us, all good friends, the threes tooges my mother called us. I am the last remaining one. One was murdered and the other a long time cancer sufferer.

Kev
12-22-05, 07:17 PM
Alot of the people I went to school with, friends and foes, are now deceased. There were three of us, all good friends, the threes tooges my mother called us. I am the last remaining one. One was murdered and the other a long time cancer sufferer.That's a shame to hear.

Santa Barbara was a beautiful and quaint little city when I grew up there but the neighborhood contained quite a few mean kids, many of which carried guns and knives in the early 70's. I should know all too well as I was the point blank target of a couple of them.

All improved greatly as I entered High School. It was across town from my neighborhood and seemed a more stable and integrated society compared to my volatile Jr. High experiences.

But now I have just realized that I have hijacked poor Elvis' thread!
Sorry about that Elvis!

mccombie_5
12-22-05, 07:20 PM
He isnt sorry I helped and im not :p
J/K Elvis.

Never had to deal with knives or guns.

I once carried a 10mm Steel pole in my jeans, it used to fit through a small hole and slide down my outer leg, it was for safety more than anythign else.

Kev
12-22-05, 07:31 PM
He isnt sorry I helped and im not :p
J/K Elvis.

Never had to deal with knives or guns.

I once carried a 10mm Steel pole in my jeans, it used to fit through a small hole and slide down my outer leg, it was for safety more than anythign else.Have you ever had that creepy, tingly feeling and then noticed a Black Widow spider crawling on your exposed skin? If so, imagine that one hundred times more and that's as close as I can come to describe the feeling of the point of a switchblade at my throat.

With the gun was just paralyzing fear and dread at the inevitable outcome which mercifully did not come to pass.

mccombie_5
12-22-05, 07:35 PM
Thats pretty un nerving.....

I cant imagine the gun,t he knife, I have had friends with knives, never one to my throat, but it always made me uneasy, thank the stars that there are few guns in this country

I remember once being confronted for a brief case I was carrying. The kid tryng to mug me got the brief case, in his face

Kev
12-22-05, 07:50 PM
Thats pretty un nerving.....

I cant imagine the gun,t he knife, I have had friends with knives, never one to my throat, but it always made me uneasy, thank the stars that there are few guns in this country

I remember once being confronted for a brief case I was carrying. The kid tryng to mug me got the brief case, in his faceGood one!

I've had a few scrapes in my life. For all the troubles I've had (and there have been more than a few) I can say with confidence that I have never considered suicide as an option to relieve me of the worst of them. I attribute that to the two most obvious instances where my life was threatened. Those two experiences galvanized in my heart and soul the preciousness of life and the desire to live it.

Anyway, the thought just returned to me that after the theft of my little Matchbox collection, HotWheels came out and became quite popular. They were amazing little cars! It was the neatest thing to spin the little wheels and see how long before they stopped!

gdwriter
12-22-05, 07:54 PM
Elvis, I recognize the 11th car over on the 2nd row from the bottom (the one with TAXI on the hood).

Since it's the only model I've ever seen of a '64 Impala 4-door hardtop, some friends and I painted it up to look like my car. The result I named Itty Bitty Betty. I even entered her in a car show my club in Arizona put on that I flew in to attend. At other shows, I put Itty Bitty Betty on Betty's dash.

I stil have some Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars, and I got my 2-year-old nephew a Hot Wheels starter set for Christmas

mccombie_5
12-22-05, 08:00 PM
Good one!

I've had a few scrapes in my life. For all the troubles I've had (and there have been more than a few) I can say with confidence that I have never considered suicide as an option to relieve me of the worst of them. I attribute that to the two most obvious instances where my life was threatened. Those two experiences galvanized in my heart and soul the preciousness of life and the desire to live it.

Anyway, the thought just returned to me that after the theft of my little Matchbox collection, HotWheels came out and became quite popular. They were amazing little cars! It was the neatest thing to spin the little wheels and see how long before they stopped!

I can say the same, particularly in my >15 Years old years. It was pretty bad, but at 15, I could see things in perspective more.

I got older and made myself a (not particularly god) reputation in places, getting banned from some places (as in TOWNS) and threatened with arrest, I suppose I was a thug, never went looking for fights, but got into some bad scrapes. Particularly the week that I was Addidias McCombie due to the imprint on my forehead.

It got better, and Ive never been happier than I am now, this time of eyar I look back on this type of thing. akes me nostalgic of my youth.

Kev
12-22-05, 08:07 PM
It's fun to look back from the safety of our current positions eh?

mccombie_5
12-22-05, 08:09 PM
It's fun to look back from the safety of our current positions eh?

Yeah, i feel even safer knowing there is a security fence around my house just in case I get a visit from those good old lads at Newbiggin Hall.. . .

Kev
12-22-05, 08:14 PM
Yeah, i feel even safer knowing there is a security fence around my house just in case I get a visit from those good old lads at Newbiggin Hall.. . .How many watts pray tell? Hehe!

mccombie_5
12-22-05, 08:15 PM
How many watts pray tell? Hehe!

LOL!!!

None, its buried in a hedge, it was initially to keep cars out of my garden when they left the road coming around the corner, but theys topped doing that so it became for security

Kev
12-22-05, 08:23 PM
I've always considered the two essentials of a good security fence to be copious amounts of voltage, garnished atop with generous rolls of rusty razor wire. Muahahahahha!

mccombie_5
12-22-05, 08:26 PM
I've always considered the two essentials of a good security fence to be copious amounts of voltage, garnished atop with generous rolls of rusty razor wire. Muahahahahha!

LOL

I dont live in the Bronx!

It ahs many flaws in it anyway, but it does a good job for the majority, and it used to damn good at keeping cars off my lawn

12ft iron posts, 6ft of them buried in theground, and it sits in between a hedge.

Elvis
12-23-05, 10:45 PM
I don't mind the hijacking at all, fellas! That's what the lounge is for!

About five years ago when I discovered eBay, one of the first things I discovered was that there were several Matchbox dealers on there.

I have reconstructed my entire collection of Lesney cars and trucks. Someday I'm going to build a display case.

I have the taxi!!!

I also have the Honda motorcycle and trailer.

And the horse trailer.

and the combine.

and the Land Rover.

and the Jag and the Lincoln and the Ferrari and the bus and the wrecker and the tanker and the pipe truck and the cattle truck and the Grand Prix and the Lincoln and the MG with the dog in the back.

ARE YOU JEALOUS?!?!? :histeric:

mccombie_5
12-24-05, 12:13 PM
Here are some of my favourites:

2000 Mercedes S500:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/2000mb32benzs500row.jpg

1989 BMW 850i
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/b040.jpg

1979 Ford Cortina 1.6L
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/cortina1.jpg

1992 Mercedes Benz 600SEL
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/m077.jpg

1989 Lincoln Town Car (the rear half of my roof is painted brown though)
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/plmb43towncar.jpg

1988 Rover Sterling:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/r058.jpg

1979 Rover SD1
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/r059.jpg

Stoneage_Caddy
12-24-05, 01:18 PM
ahhh , memeroys .....My apartment in alaska (this is about half the collection :
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b102/stoneage_caddy/DSC00435.jpg

Kev
12-24-05, 01:38 PM
Oh Stoney, that is obscene! :canttalk: :)

Boombotz
12-24-05, 10:37 PM
Now we know why its been 6 years.:p j/k.

Stoneage_Caddy
12-25-05, 12:46 AM
actually , i got a piece over that room ....she said it showed i embraced my inner child or someshit .....

i had more naked girls in that room then ive had anywhere else ....i dont kid at all on that either ....now getting them in bed was another story , that was only one fo them .....

Stoneage_Caddy
12-25-05, 12:10 PM
nor has it gotten any beatter as far as my tatse for decorateing ...
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b102/stoneage_caddy/DSC01611.jpg

addison_ii
12-25-05, 09:56 PM
I believe that having toys actually keep us grounded and take some stress away. As for me, my 6th year was 1987 and while I don't collect the little guys anymore my 1/24th collection is currently at 3 and growing. It used to be at 15-20 but little cousins with ADHD broke them. Right now in my garage is a 2004 Navigator DUB edition, 1966 Chevelle SS original, and a 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda with custom interior and engine bay. Big Boys with nice toys.

Jesda
12-26-05, 05:03 AM
Wow! The Sterling and E-class were my two absolute favorite Matchbox cars as a kid! I always thought they were so perfect.

mccombie_5
12-26-05, 02:58 PM
Wow! The Sterling and E-class were my two absolute favorite Matchbox cars as a kid! I always thought they were so perfect.

Theyre my favourite from my current selection

The 600SEL is just like mine :D

I also had one of those Rover Sterlings in the late 80s. It never worked.