: CD-Rs don't play anymore!

naiculnila
12-22-05, 10:14 AM
Ok, short and sweet!

all of a sudden, my damn cd player won't play a burnt CD anymore. They are not scratched, they play in any other device....when i put them in the V, they start skipping hardcore!

ANY IDEAS....i dread the thought of dealing with the dealer again! Prob gonna say it's my fault for burning the CD the WRONG way!

heavymetals
12-22-05, 01:01 PM
That kind of blows.

The only good thing is that it isn't a common problem.

Good luck.

lawfive
12-22-05, 01:40 PM
Ok, short and sweet!

all of a sudden, my damn cd player won't play a burnt CD anymore. They are not scratched, they play in any other device....when i put them in the V, they start skipping hardcore!

ANY IDEAS....i dread the thought of dealing with the dealer again! Prob gonna say it's my fault for burning the CD the WRONG way!

Dumb question: have you tried playing commercial CDs in the V to see if they skip, too? Could be something as simple as your player needs cleaning.

naiculnila
12-22-05, 01:51 PM
commercial ones work!

i guess ill mention it to them and see hwo it goes!

lawfive
12-22-05, 02:35 PM
:hmm: I don't know much about CD/DVD burning and what the difference is between what we can do with burners in PCs and what the big guys do. But I do know that many CD players that play commercial audio CDs but won't play CD-Rs just wind up having dirty lenses, and are fixed by playing a lens cleaner CD. You might try that.

Eventually, if your player is like most that I've seen, it'll start skipping on commercial CDs too if you don't clean it.

JRoller
12-23-05, 12:14 AM
Ok, short and sweet!

I had the same problem picking up the next track. Probably threw a half dozen CDs out the window while driving. I changed the space between songs to 5-6 seconds when I burned new ones, and now the skip is gone.

Devil_concours
12-23-05, 12:25 AM
did you test any other cd-r discs?
Reason for a lot of issues with burnt disc is that they're so many version (yes versions of the discs)

ctsvett
12-23-05, 03:36 AM
I agree with devil.. Try a different brand..

Did you get a radio swap anytime recently by the way?

I work in the industry and know there is quality differences between different brands that will make one brand play and the other will not.

Reed

Devil_concours
12-23-05, 04:29 AM
I agree with devil.. Try a different brand..
Did you get a radio swap anytime recently by the way?
I work in the industry and know there is quality differences between different brands that will make one brand play and the other will not.
Reed
even within the same brand, different line of products = different quality. Usually japanese chem treated media lasts longer and produces less coaster.

ewill3rd
12-23-05, 08:20 AM
GM tells me that if it has the "compact disc" logo on the disk that it should be compatible if burned in a conventional format.
If the CD-R media quits working or skips it could be an internal radio problem, do a couple of things to help your dealer out.

1. Give them one or two of the CD-Rs that skip. Some folks like to take all their disks with them and I have nothing to test it with. What I will do with the disk is try it in a few other cars on the lot or some that might be in the shop for service. If the disk plays normally in a few other cars but won't play right in yours I know yours is broken.
2. Leave one or two retail disks in the car for comparison too. Just to be sure it's nice to have some to look at.

You probably need a new radio.
I can't say I haven't seen this before, but it is fairly rare.
Most units are available overnight but sometimes it takes a few days to get them. They need the car to verify the problem and to retrieve the part number for the existing unit to order the right one. Installation should take less than an hour, the only delay will be getting the radio itself.

HTH.

lawfive
12-23-05, 06:54 PM
Found this while shamelessly surfing the net at work today. You need something like this. Crean good!

http://www.syberpunk.com/images/engrish/signs1/dvd.jpg

urbanski
12-23-05, 07:00 PM
Found this while shamelessly surfing the net at work today. You need something like this. Crean good!

http://www.syberpunk.com/images/engrish/signs1/dvd.jpg

http://i2.cashmoneyuploads.com/img/CantSeeShit1ab.jpg (http://www.cashmoneyuploads.com/)

i don't think they let you hotlink :D

blackonblackonblack
12-25-05, 11:06 PM
I can only get the 1st track off of mine too, unless i'm lucky that day. I find that if you skip to the 2nd track before your in motion, it works. The cd-r's don't really work, but i guess it has made me a better citizen instead of dl'ing all of my songs