: P1406 Code? EGR?

STS1320
12-22-05, 12:51 AM
96' STS. I got a engine light today. I ran the diagnostics and i got the code P1406. I think that is the EGR code. How much do these run at a local auto parts store or should i try cleaning it first?

mcowden
12-22-05, 11:35 AM
96' STS. I got a engine light today. I ran the diagnostics and i got the code P1406. I think that is the EGR code. How much do these run at a local auto parts store or should i try cleaning it first?

Yes, P1406 is the EGR Pintle Position Circuit code, and it probably needs to be replaced. You can try cleaning it first. Look at the link below for instructions. Rock Auto wants $155 for a new EGR for your car (AC-Delco part 2145058), and the gasket (AC-Delco part 219175) is another $4. It's a relatively simple operation to remove and reinstall the valve, but the stainless steel fuel rail mounting tab can get in the way and complicate things a little bit. If you haven't had the stainless steel fuel rail recall work done yet, it's a little easier. Here's the link to EGR cleaning instructions:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59077

Eldyfig
12-22-05, 09:44 PM
I have had success with cleaning the egr after a pintle position code. Point is to get built up carbon off of the valve stem and the seat. Not hard, follow the directions at the link that Mike posted.

STS1320
12-26-05, 10:51 PM
Ok my car has the fuel line bracket bolted on to the EGR. The only way i could see is if i unclip the fuel line to make it easyier to take off the EGR. My question is if i unclip the lines will fuel start flowing everywhere?

Ranger
12-26-05, 11:41 PM
Yes. Bleed off the pressure first. Locate the schreader valve (looks like a tire valve) on the fuel rail (should be on the front rail). Remove the cap, place a rag over it and press the valve (just like letting air out of a tire). Use the rag to catch about an oz. of pressurized fuel. After it is depressurized, there will still be fuel in the line (just like turning off a garden hose and pressing the nozzle, after is stops squirting, there is still water in the hose) so when it is disconnected, fuel will still leak.

SL1CK
12-26-05, 11:55 PM
Actually, I have the EXACT same car and I had the same situation. In my case, fuel did NOT start flowing everywhere and I WAS able to unclip the fuel lines. I first took off the bolt that had it bolted down to the valve. Then, there is still another bolt UNDER the clip, and in order to get to it, slightly push up on the far side (top part) of the clip, and with your other hand, move it up further and move it out of the way. You'll have to move it a little and after that just get the final bolt and start cleaning.

STS1320
01-30-06, 03:59 PM
I cant get the damn fuel lines off. I found out that i need a specific GM tool to take off the fuel lines. Does anyone know if i could pick one up at murrays or CarQuest or would a GM dealership let me borrow/rent.

Ranger
01-30-06, 05:10 PM
You can likely buy the tool at any parts store. The dealer is not likely to rent or lend out any tools.