: Can you ever REALLY shut the heater/ac off?

Skeeter
12-21-05, 11:46 PM
I find that even when I shut the climate control system completely off, air of the temp last set continues to somehow leak into the car.

So if I crank it up to 90, then shut it off, I get a steady flow of hot air from somewhere. Likewise @ 60. Is there any way to just get the system to SHUT UP and no introduce any air, at any pre-set temp? I can't manually shut off all the vents, so don't suggest that :) It also doesn't solve the problem for me.:thepan:

As an aside, is there anyone else who thinks it is idiotic to have so many degrees of temperature difference?! No, 72 won't do, I need 73 degrees.

What happened to the good old days of a KNOB that let you simply choose 'cold' 'warm' or 'hot'?! Now you have to hit a button TWENTY FREAKING TIMES to go from cold to hot. And EVERY CAR that's made seems to be designed this way! What gives? The knob is faster to start with, and we really don't need such granular settings, especially given the inherent inprecision of climate control systems!

Are you with me, my brothers?

I sound like Adam Carola...

Skeeter OUT

ctsvett
12-22-05, 03:28 AM
I have noticed hot air leaking into the driver side foot well and I think it is coming from the tranny area or from the cats (which are right in the engine bay)... I agree that I cant turn this off, but every car allows some airflow in even if the AC/ is off...

This one bugs me on longer trips... I dont know of any fix...

No comment on the knobs.. I will say that 72 does not make it 72 degrees.. the temperature is very inaccurate (especially if you have the AC on vs the AC off).

Reed

ntechnic
12-22-05, 04:50 AM
On long trips I find the difference in one "degree" on the temp can mean the difference between a bit uncomfortable and just right.

I'd like to see fewer extreme degree settings and more granular settings, sometimes on a long drive here in Sunny SoCal, it seems that if I could just have xx.5 it would be perfect.

cdog533
12-22-05, 09:10 AM
I usually set it to 72, hit auto, and am done.

I got an Impala loaner. It had the 3 knob set up. I was constantly messing with it and could never get the temp where I wanted it....

ewill3rd
12-22-05, 09:18 AM
If you have auto climate control set it where you are comfortable and leave it on auto. If you turn it off you'll have air coming in. There is an area of high pressure right over the intake duct which is just below where the wipers park, this high pressure forces air to come into the cabin when you are driving down the road. It may not be very strong but it will always be there. If you set the Auto climate for a comfortable temp once it gets where you want it to be it will stay there and turn the fan down. Most people have problems with automatic systems when they treat them like manual ones. I agree with the previous post about manual systems, you can never get them where you want them to really be and you're always messing with it.
I got an auto climate control system in my '92 olds that I owned for almost 10 years, and when I got my '02 Trailblazer I got dual zone because my Wife always complained about the temp I wanted it at. I'll never go back.

I think this is just one of those things that lots of people feel differently about. Some don't like the "lack of control" of an automatic system. I like it because it's one thing less I have to screw with while I am driving.

naiculnila
12-22-05, 10:09 AM
I just push the little button for recirculating the air inside the car and it nothing comes in anymore!

just my .02 cents!

Slapshot
12-22-05, 01:02 PM
I agree, set and forget... -20 outside, tickle it up a degree or two. +30 drop it a couple. I think it works great in the full auto mode...

My Wife however... "I'm hot" - SPIN - zapps it down to frostbite. "I'm cold" - SPIN - zapps it up to cremate... Set it and let it do it's thing... Be patient...

lawfive
12-22-05, 01:33 PM
I agree, set and forget... -20 outside, tickle it up a degree or two. +30 drop it a couple. I think it works great in the full auto mode...

My Wife however... "I'm hot" - SPIN - zapps it down to frostbite. "I'm cold" - SPIN - zapps it up to cremate... Set it and let it do it's thing... Be patient...

LOL... been there.

I think the system is great. Just wish I could do one thing: change the system such that "recirc" is the default, and the button has to be pushed to vent fresh air.

I'd also like to be able to change Stabilitrak so that traction control defaults to "off."

ewill3rd
12-22-05, 02:32 PM
My wife is the same way, total extremes.
No such thing to her as 75, it's either 60 or 90.
At least with the ACC, she leaves it alone most of the time. She doesn't get it either.

Dennisscars
12-22-05, 06:39 PM
Cars back in the preNader days you could turn the vent totally off, but sometime since the Nader hayday some outside air is required to be inserted into the cabin even though you are lead to believe you have control of your environment.

roadracerx72
12-22-05, 06:49 PM

:yeah: