: Tire Review: Falken Azenis Rt-615

L.Sanchez
12-21-05, 06:59 PM
After 8000 miles, my rear tires were corded. :histeric: And thats with me rotating them twice within that time...So, new tires were in order. I did a search here and on tirerack.com and some other websites and started reading about the new Falkens. I called up my buddy who owns a tire shop and I picked them up for $180 a piece installed and balanced. They are a little bigger size too...255/40's.

I've put some miles on them and I usually run high pressures in my tires. 40psi up front and 38psi in the rear. So far I'm VERY pleased with these tires. They are quieter than my worn F1's were, provide more grip it feels, and with the pressures I run, the turn in is almost as sharp. These are non-runflats remember. Straight line grip is fantastic too once warm...which means there is still wheel hop on launches, but the tires don't break away in first as they did with the F1's when you step on it from a roll. As for wet traction...its Southern Cali...who cares??? :cool2:

Either way, for the money, these tires are definitely worth it. They look great on the car too with big, chunky tread blocks and are about 6-7 tenths of an inch wider when they were laying on the ground next to the stock F1's. No rubbing issues with this size at all. I actually liked the F1's...I just didn't like their price. :) I'm glad I gave these a shot. For the money they can't be beat, and I'd be hard pressed to spend another $100-$150 a tire to provide an additional .01-.02g's of grip with, say, a Pilot Sport, if they even give more grip. I don't think anyone will be disappointed with these.

Ladis

Barak
12-21-05, 07:38 PM
Excellent review! I've had the same experience with my 615's. From what I can tell, the dry grip is unmatched on these tires. The only thing I'm concerned about it treadwear. So far I have 800 miles on them and I can still see the "Azenis" letters stamped in the middle of the tread, so I take that as a good sign.:thumbsup:

ace996
12-21-05, 07:53 PM
Please keep in mind, fellas, that the tire you are running is "THE TIRE" for street class SCCA SoloII competition. I don't believe that even ONE person ran the Pilots at Nationals....that's saying quite a bit, as all competitors are extremely serious and will run ANYTHING that is PROVEN to be faster...regardless of cost.
So there you have it, or I should say "them"...the stickiest legal street-class tire in the USA. I'm glad you enjoy them, I plan on running them this summer at the SoloII autox.
-ace

VELOSE
12-22-05, 12:47 AM
Can't wait to put a set of those on my stockers for track events next year. Thanks for the review. :thumbsup:

alcast082
12-22-05, 04:09 PM
does anybody have any input between these and the gsd3
i'm ordering tires next week and would like a combination of best wear traction and price.
DOESN"T EVERY one want this.

AmesCTS-V
12-22-05, 05:02 PM
Better grip means they don't last as long. These are better dry grip, but the GSD3's will last longer and are probably the best all around tire.

lundperformance
12-22-05, 06:09 PM
Also, a good autox tire isnt necessarily a good daily driver tire. From my experience, in general, Falkens tend to wear un-evenly and develop high roadforce #'s and vibrate after time.

I've had good luck running Toyo T1R's on daily drivers I've put on here @ the dealership who prefer a sportier stickier tire.

VELOSE
12-22-05, 07:30 PM
So Toyo T1R's are sportier and stickier over the Falken RT-615? Isn't the Falken tire a better suited, sportier, stickier tire than the T1R's? Specs on the Falken make it seem stickier than the T1R's.

ace996
12-22-05, 10:54 PM
The Falkens are the STICKIEST street tire you can use, and they're more compliant than the stock F1s. You'll no doubt get better mileage than the F1s, and they're cheaper. Not every product is for everyone, but if you're looking for a better wearing, stickier, more complieant, cheaper alternative to the F1s then this is a great choice. I don't sell Falkens, I'm a banker, I just have been very impressed with previous experience...and SCCA SoloII National Championship results don't lie.
-ace

CVP33
12-22-05, 11:27 PM
Absolutely the best price on these Falkens you'll find anywhere. $682 a set delivered to my zip. 255/40/18's. Such a deal.

http://www.edgeracing.com/tires/2554018/

Mutlu
12-23-05, 10:34 AM
Could you please post a pic of the tires on your car. I want to get these tires as well but I am concerned about the 40s instead of 45s. I wanted to see how much more wheel gap there is.

Thanks!!!

VELOSE
12-23-05, 02:01 PM
With the wider tread of 255, they'll probably look better than the 45's. Plus, these tires are beefier automatically over any regular performance tires. The reason for that is because they are designed for track and have thick sidewalls.

MCaesar
12-23-05, 10:26 PM
I really doubt if they are stickier you will get better mileage. I further doubt that they are of the same quality construction. I just can't remember any serious high performance vehicle ever coming out of the factory with Falkens. I have seen many high performance cars with Goodyears.

And definitely no to Toyos

ace996
12-23-05, 10:41 PM
Big business is sometimes about who is blowing who...GM & Goodyear is a great example.

Thank Heavens Falkens don't come factory, or every other dumbass who didn't know better would be buying my Spring autox supply.
-ace

L.Sanchez
12-24-05, 03:09 PM
Like all serious performance tires, under normal driving conditions, they really aren't *that* much stickier going down the higher. But, once you start beating on them (say, autox) and they start to get warm, gummy, sticky, lovely...sorry...I got carried away in the emotion. :yup: Anyway, thats when they start to really shine. And if you can make repeated laps without them turning to mush, you've got a great tire. I would not say your gas mileage is going to be worse or better than an F1.

In terms of wear, well, the way I look at it is even if these tires wear twice as quick as the f1's (which they won't) but cost nearly half as much for a wider tire, I'm ok with that...especially if they perform better!

The 255/40's are the same hieght. So the wheel gap is the same. I went to Falkens website and to tirerack.com to compare the hieght of the stock 245/45 F1's to the 255/40 Falkens. Like I said, the Falkens are just about 6-7 tenths wider and LOOK much beefier though...those tread blocks!! I'll see what I can do about a pic.

MCaesar
12-24-05, 05:18 PM
http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Falken&tiremodel=Azenis+RT%2D615

They sure are not rated very highly but who knows

Barak
12-24-05, 08:30 PM
I was just talking to a guy the other day that autocrosses and I asked him what kind of tires people use. He said that a lot of people run Hoosiers or other slicks. I then asked him what the most popular street tire that the autocrossers run and he confirmed exactly what Ace has been saying for months. The RT-615s are the street tire of choice and it is easy to see why.

Besides, can anyone name one other tire that is stickier than the stock F1?

MCaesar
12-25-05, 08:09 AM
How do you know it is stickier than F1s?

I have not seen the F1 beat in any comparison test. The Falkens have rather low ratings on 1010Tires and they are not even sold on Tire Rack.

High performance manufacturers use F1s - do you see any using Falkens?

Barak
12-25-05, 03:25 PM
How do you know it is stickier than F1s?

Because I owned the F1's and currently own the 615's. Our g-meter also allows us to make somewhat objective conclusions when it comes to handling.

I have not seen the F1 beat in any comparison test.

Autocrossing sounds like a good comparison test to me. The results appear to be unanimous.

High performance manufacturers use F1s - do you see any using Falkens?

I don't see how this argument is valid. Manufacturers last concern is usually with dry grip. Manufacturers are much more concerned with noise, harshness, treadwear, wet traction, etc.

If it makes you happy, continue spending $350 for an inferior tire that lasts about as long at it took me to write this reply.

ace996
12-25-05, 07:54 PM
MC,
I really do like the F1 as a stock tire, it truly is the best stock-mounted tire I've ever run..very sticky, good turn-in, and can take a beating on the autox course. But for the money, or even on a same-dollar comparison, the only thing the F1 has is EMT ability. Nobody is saying cut the F1s off the rims and throw them out, they are good...but when a replacement tire is needed, and if pure-grip and competition-proven performance is at the top of the list, the 615 fit the bill. The smoother ride and cheaper cost are just added benefits.
Be good,
ace

MCaesar
12-25-05, 10:28 PM
Manufacturer's least concern is dry grip? What planet do you live on?
Do you honestly believe that?
wow
Now if you were talking about Hondas I would agree with you. But companies that make Z06s, Ferraris, Porsches, etc are highly concerned with dry grip

ace996
12-25-05, 10:42 PM
MC,
Those companies also indirectly pay big bucks to have their products on those cars as OEM equipment, as most people just replace with what came on the car stock.
Motorsports are usually the final word...check the SoloIINational's results for what tires were used for street-tire classes, you'd be surprised to see such little(if any) representation from the larger companies. And when people are spending THOUSANDS of dollars to shave hundredths of seconds, using the best tire is a given.
-ace

thebigjimsho
12-26-05, 11:20 AM
Like a couple of members here have said, there are other factors to a tire besides its performance figures. That is my issue as well. I don't doubt the performance of the Azenis and I would consider it as an autocross tire. Yet, I don't feel comfortable with Falkens because of their lack of endorsement from places like the TireRack and that it is not OEM equipment from any car manufacturer. I know that much of the time contracts dictate this. However, I don't remember GM having Pirelli as a supplier. Yet, the STS-V has euphori@ tires. Lotus decided to go with Yokos on the Elise.

I don't doubt the Falkens can get you around the cones quickly. I do have reservations that they will stay a civil tire throughout its life and that build construction won't be an issue.

ace996
12-26-05, 01:10 PM
Good point, Jim. Since they are relatively new to this forum, and a few already have them, we'll see how they work out in time. And I really hope they don't get too popular, as finding the 215 in stock was once quite difficult. I don't doubt that as the summer approaches, "in-stock" will soon turn to "on order".
-ace

Barak
12-26-05, 01:14 PM
I do have reservations that they will stay a civil tire throughout its life and that build construction won't be an issue.

Has Falken ever had problems in the past with build quality?

L.Sanchez
12-26-05, 01:38 PM
Here is a pic of my rather, uh, "used" stock F1 and the new RT-615. :)

http://www.geocities.com/ssme26/1219051531.jpg

Big Jim, MC, and the other doubters...

I've NEVER had a stock OEM tire outperform an aftermarket tire. I've had two WS6 Trans Ams that at the time came with the Goodyear F1's which were the "best tire" supposedly. I tried Firestone Firehawks, Bridgestone RE750s, Kuhmo MX's and 712's and Victoracers, Pilot Sports, Yoko AVS's, etc. They have ALWAYS outperformed the OEM F1's. The only place the stock tires were better were usually in wear. This time it only took me 8000 miles to cord the F1's, so I hope these 615's last longer than that, but we'll see. I don't really care though...like I said, I'd rather have more performance, a smoother ride, and a quieter ride for half the money and replace them at the same mileage than pay an additional amount of money per tire just because its OEM and has EMT capabilities.

The only advice I can say is TRY another tire...whats the hurt in it??? If you don't honestly like it, you go back to the F1's. I love the turn in of the F1's, but they don't grip as hard and are too expensive in my mind for the performance they deliver. If they were closer in price, it would be a tougher call, but I'm still going to go with whatever grips harder. I'm not a brand/label whore. :)

And there is no better test for a tire than at an autocross course. Heavy cars on asphalt/concrete lots with slow corners, hard braking, etc is going to tell worlds about a tire. I'll take a couple of autocrossers word over some website all day long. I haven't autox the V yet, but have hundreds of laps under my belt in my Trans Ams and other cars I've had or used. I would also like to say I took the V out through Topanga Canyon out here and these tires definitely give up and transition from grip to slip more smoothly than the F1's too I think.

I'll post up in another 6 months when I have to replace tires again with wear and quality reports. ;)

thebigjimsho
12-26-05, 03:53 PM
L.Sanchez, thanks for the opinion. An I am very interested in how the Falkens hold up. And I agree that the autocross course does indeed tell you a lot about a tire.

Like I said, it's a lack of experience and knowledge on Falkens that bother me. Hopefully, some of you guys can fix that issue.

ace996
12-26-05, 04:01 PM
On that 1010tires site, if you go to the user's reviews the numbers are quite different than what is posted above.

obzidian
12-26-05, 05:27 PM
I have these tires on my Z28, 275/40/17 and they turn in nice and will without a doubt out perform the f1'z. They have a gummier rubber surface and will hook and boock!!

I understand you views on the falkens. They haven't, to my knowledge, been used as a factory tire and they arent the most common tire used on this forum for example.

However, they are used greatly in motorsports. Drifting, SCCA, Autocross..etc. They have always been a superior contender among racers who seek an alternative to anall-out hoosier tire. Moreover, their compariably low price shouldn't be taken into consideration. I never used the kuhmo tires because of this and their MX tire is a well repected tire used in motorsports. The ecsta is also a great tire and very affordable street tire that grip nice and cost almost nothing compared to my stock tire on my z28 I believe i was getting them under 90 bucks, balanced for a sert of 16'z..where the perrelli at the same size where close to 120-130, just for tire....

Also, you wont see these tires as a stock item because the other big companies like goodyear, perrelli have dropped millions of endorsement and "pocket-money" to the large vehicle manufactures and sadly, dry grip isnt on their wishlist. Affordability and insentive ranks higher than grip. Basically, they sign with a tire manufacture for whatever amount of cashola, see their inventory and choose the tire they offer that best fits their desired application.

A follow-up on the life of these tires should help squash this arguement....i know that i havent really driven my Z28 due to the V but they sure are holding nice....

DILLIGAF
12-27-05, 09:16 PM
Absolutely the best price on these Falkens you'll find anywhere. $682 a set delivered to my zip. 255/40/18's. Such a deal.

http://www.edgeracing.com/tires/2554018/CVP,was there any problem road force balancing these tires?

CVP33
12-31-05, 12:50 PM
CVP,was there any problem road force balancing these tires?

Sorry for the delay. I just got back from FL. I don't have these tires yet. I have the ST-115's on now and I'm taking them off next week to install FK-451's. When they die, I'm going with the RT-615's.

DILLIGAF
12-31-05, 12:52 PM
No worrys,I've made my mind up to go with the 615s.I'll give them a whirl.

alcast082
12-31-05, 01:56 PM
obzidian how long have you had the tires on for???
any higher road noise so far???
I went through the f1's in about 5000 miles and would like to get atleast 10000 out of my next set without loosing much performance.

ace996
12-31-05, 02:24 PM
obzidian how long have you had the tires on for???
any higher road noise so far???
I went through the f1's in about 5000 miles and would like to get atleast 10000 out of my next set without loosing much performance.

You won't be missing out on ANY perfromance :thumbsup:
-ace

alcast082
12-31-05, 05:19 PM
do you think they will last longer than the f1 (significantly)
a few thousand more. The price does give them an advantage but after running the f1's and the pirelli's bald in 5000 miles i want a little more.

L.Sanchez
01-01-06, 09:51 PM
Alcast...who knows how the tires wear. I personally rotate my tires every 3000 miles and religiously watch tire pressures to maximize my tire life and got 8000 miles out of them. Just try to lay off the burnouts. :)

alcast082
01-02-06, 06:14 PM
But they are so much fun. I going to give the tires a try besides whats the worse that can happen, Trying to burn them in less than 5000 miles

verbs
01-19-06, 01:05 PM

So that drops your tire diameter by about .6" Is your car lowered? If not I would think you'd have a little 4x4 action going on.

Closer_2001
01-19-06, 07:48 PM

These are good guys...I used to buy AM wheel/tire combos when I was running an Acura dealership.