: Cracked Engine Block in 2001 DeVille

mrgetdown
12-21-05, 04:31 PM
Where can I find either a rebuilt or new NorthStar Engine for a 2001 DeVille. I have a cracked engine block according to the dealer service department. Or is it possible to find a short block and all the parts I need to rebuild the engine?

Thanks in advance for any help.

JSMeloche
12-21-05, 04:39 PM
You can purchase a used engine and rebuilt it. But i doubt your engine block is cracked. I only heard on time of catastrophic failure of the N* in this forum. I think there was some sort of problem with the main bearing and a rod went trough the side of the block.

I would get a second opinion. Are you sure its not a half case seal thats leaking? The block is actually built in 2 parts split right down the middle.

zonie77
12-21-05, 07:17 PM
What symptoms do you have?

mrgetdown
12-21-05, 07:30 PM
The engine is leaking water from the driver side of the engine near the bottom. I have not actually looked under the vechicle myself. I just took the dealer's word. Maybe I will get a second opinion. The car is not running hot as of yet.

I think I will have to look for the leak myself this weekend.

Thank for the info

Ranger
12-21-05, 10:58 PM
As jsmeloche said, cracked blocks are almost unheard of. I'd get a second opinion or ask them to show you the crack.

JSMeloche
12-22-05, 12:21 PM
The engine is leaking water from the driver side of the engine near the bottom. I have not actually looked under the vechicle myself. I just took the dealer's word. Maybe I will get a second opinion. The car is not running hot as of yet.

I think I will have to look for the leak myself this weekend.

Thank for the info

I doubt a cracked engine block would just leak water like that.... Sound to me more like a failing water pump. My 95 exibited these symptom when my water pump failed. No overheat, loss of coolant, dripping coolant under the car on driver side. The water pump is on that side

zonie77
12-22-05, 12:25 PM
I would get the second opinion or look myself before I started looking for a new block.

danbuc
12-23-05, 05:06 AM
The only reason why I could see the block cracking would be if you had an excessive percentage of water in the collant (i.e. 75-80% or more) that would allow it to freeze in the winter. The expansion of the water could crack the block. Other than that....there really isn't any way for the block to simply crack unless something hit/damaged it (Ron, piston,..ect), or there was a casting flaw of some sort that just happened to show up thousands of miles after the engine was produced (very unlikely). I would get a second opinion just to be on the safe side.

turbojimmy
12-23-05, 07:25 AM
The only reason why I could see the block cracking would be if you had an excessive percentage of water in the collant (i.e. 75-80% or more) that would allow it to freeze in the winter. The expansion of the water could crack the block. Other than that....there really isn't any way for the block to simply crack unless something hit/damaged it (Ron, piston,..ect), or there was a casting flaw of some sort that just happened to show up thousands of miles after the engine was produced (very unlikely). I would get a second opinion just to be on the safe side.

Or if it's been in an accident. I've had a couple that have had cracked blocks or tranny cases. Usually you know right away, though.

I agree with the water pump assessment. It runs down the back of the block and drips off the middle. Mine's doing it right now, but it hasn't leaked enough in the past 12 months of driving to even have to top it off so I'm ignoring it until it gets worse.

Jim