: Just A Trivial Matter Really ..

Kev
12-21-05, 04:01 PM
For those of you who imbibe soft drinks, specifically colas, how do you take them?

My personal preference is very cold but little or no ice and a few lemon slices squeezed in or if they arenít available, a healthy shot of lemon juice. Brand matters little to me, Coke, Pepsi, RC, Shasta or any off brand will do as I violate the recipe with the lemon.

Any cola drinkers out there? :alchi:

mccombie_5
12-21-05, 04:02 PM
My personal favourite is Coca Cola, VERY cold, from a can, not a bottle, because in a bottle it loses its fizz very quickley.

I will drink Coke and only Coke :D

DBA-One
12-21-05, 04:19 PM
The only soda I drink is Sprite. Other than that I drink beer

Kev
12-21-05, 04:22 PM
I believe I've shared this little anecdote here before but I'll share it again.

Around 1977 while still in High School I found myself at USC in a field trip. This was during Pepsi's Taste Test Challenge campaign and they had a few booths set up at the university.

I stepped up when my turn came and being the smart-alec kid that I was, when asked which un-marked cola I preferred I answered; "I like the Coke best." (I was quite the connoisseur and could tell which was which by the taste though I had no preference then either).

The attending student seemed a bit confused and annoyed and said; "But, they aren't marked, you can't tell which one is Coke! Which one do you like best?"

"Coke." while I pointed to the cup containing the Coke. So the guy revealed their identities and of course, I had chosen the Coke. I left him grumbling as I walked away with a triumphant smirk on my impudent face. :cool:

mccombie_5
12-21-05, 04:23 PM
Yeah thats a cool story Kev!

I can tell coke too

Elvis
12-21-05, 05:28 PM
A Coke drinker can always tell. Pepsi drinkers will drink anything.

Pepsi is like Ford. If it weren't for the Pizza Hut/Taco Bell/KFC sales, they would be flat broke. Without fleet sales, Ford would be hurting.

terrible one
12-21-05, 05:30 PM
A Coke, extremly cold, no ice, right out of the can!

LittleB
12-21-05, 05:33 PM
LOL!!! Yeah I prefer Coke over Pepsi...and I love Dr. Pepper too. I like it in a glass with a little ice, or from any fast food place, it just tastes slightly different out of a can. I'll still drink it though.

DBA-One
12-21-05, 05:35 PM
Coke in a glass bottel can't be beat. For Some reason Dr. Perrper in a styro cup taste good.

DBA-One
12-21-05, 05:40 PM
Make that bottle. I can't edit my post for some reason

Sandy
12-21-05, 05:44 PM
This One, I Don't Think I Have To Reply To. R/C COLA, OF COURSE. ! No Ice, Just Real Cold And No Lemon, I Prefer It In Glass Over Tin Can & Yes It Does Come In Glass Bottles !
http://varian.net/dreamweavn/dreamfeast/rc/rccola.gif

Kev
12-21-05, 05:44 PM
Well, so far everyone else here (except DBA-one) seems to prefer Coke, pristine no less.
Am I the only cola-fornicator who desecrates the formula with a foreign substance such as lemon? :p

DBA-One
12-21-05, 05:48 PM
The only addition I'll take to my Coke is rum!

slk230mb
12-21-05, 05:49 PM
Well, so far everyone else here (except DBA-one) seems to prefer Coke, pristine no less.
Am I the only cola-fornicator who desecrates the formula with a foreign substance such as lemon? :p

Coke for me, but if they serve it with a lemon, great. If not, I won't loose sleep.

DBA-One
12-21-05, 05:51 PM

I only like Coke in the glass bottle. In any other form I just dn't care for it much. I used to be a big soda drinker. Now I have a bottle of sprite in the fridge that last a good while. I'm a verteran of the cola wars so go easy on me.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 06:00 PM
Whatever I drink I'll drink out of the can or bottle. I like Mt Dew Code Red, Dr Pepper, Dr Pepper Cherry Vanilla, Vanilla Coke, Mug, Barqs or A&W

Kev
12-21-05, 06:18 PM
Of late I have been drinking mostly water. I haven't had too much soda pop in the last 6 months but last Saturday I got a few snacks for my office and among them was a 12 pack of Shasta cola along with a bottle of lemon juice.

That afternoon/evening I downed three of those suckers! They just went down so smooth! Since then I've had two more (I don't want to go an a soda binge!). They seem to taste better in a glass too.

ben72227
12-21-05, 06:25 PM

Pepsi is like Ford. If it weren't for the Pizza Hut/Taco Bell/KFC sales, they would be flat broke. Without fleet sales, Ford would be hurting.

Yeah yeah. Even I remember when Coke was so desperate that they had to pull the "New Coke" marketing ploy just to get people to drink Coke again. Pepsi dominated the Cola Wars. The only reason Coke is still around is because you can't get Pepsi at McDonalds:rolleyes:

Coke tastes so bland anyway. The only way I can drink it is if its Cherry Coke...

Pepsi, on the other hand, always tastes good, whether it be original, cherry, or my favorite- Pepsi Twist (Pepsi with Lemon already in it:cool2: )

But, the best soft drink is Dr. Pepper:cool2:, and my favorite is that limited-run Cherry-Vanilla Dr. Pepper they had. I also liked Red Fusion, but they stopped making it...

gdwriter
12-21-05, 06:57 PM

Right-o, Elvis. I'm a die-hard Coke drinker, although I had to switch to Diet Coke a few years ago.

When I order a Diet Coke at a restaurant and the server says, "is Pepsi OK?" my usual response is "No, what else do you have?"

I usually drink my Diet Coke straight out of the can. For some inexplicable reason, I won't drink beer out of a can—only longneck bottles.

Playdrv4me
12-21-05, 07:08 PM
Im the worlds biggest soft-drink aficionado, with Coke being my favorite, followed by Dr Pepper and Sprite... however, I will be the first to admit that these drinks are the number one WORST and most empty kind of calories one can possibly intake... thus ive started the hard and agonizing turn to Diet... and heres the crazy thing...

After drinking diet sodas for about 2 weeks, the taste actually becomes less like battery acid and more like regular cola...

Now.. heres the even CRAZIER thing... when it comes to DIET colas, DIET PEPSI FAR outweighs Diet Coke. Diet Pepsi has more cola flavor than Diet coke does. It finishes better.

If you really want to maintain the coke taste however, Coke Zero is quite a surprisingly good product. Unfortunately I wont drink it because its not available in enough places yet to successfully keep me weened off the regular Coke since it gets you used to the regular coke flavor again.

LittleB
12-21-05, 07:08 PM
The only addition I'll take to my Coke is rum!

I second that :thumbsup:

DBA-One
12-21-05, 07:10 PM
I like my coke on a mirror. Oh wait. I said too much!:bonkers:

LittleB
12-21-05, 07:26 PM
:histeric: LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Kev
12-21-05, 07:48 PM
Im the worlds biggest soft-drink aficionado, with Coke being my favorite, followed by Dr Pepper and Sprite... however, I will be the first to admit that these drinks are the number one WORST and most empty kind of calories one can possibly intake... thus ive started the hard and agonizing turn to Diet... and heres the crazy thing...

After drinking diet sodas for about 2 weeks, the taste actually becomes less like battery acid and more like regular cola...

Now.. heres the even CRAZIER thing... when it comes to DIET colas, DIET PEPSI FAR outweighs Diet Coke. Diet Pepsi has more cola flavor than Diet coke does. It finishes better.

If you really want to maintain the coke taste however, Coke Zero is quite a surprisingly good product. Unfortunately I wont drink it because its not available in enough places yet to successfully keep me weened off the regular Coke since it gets you used to the regular coke flavor again.Diet Coke just doesn't have the right bouquet for me, it's not pleasing to my pallet.... :duck:

SilverFleetwood85
12-21-05, 08:05 PM
Pepsi for me, but I will drink Coke if Pepsi is not available. I like my cola beverages in a glass, full of ice, and poured from a can.

Sandy
12-21-05, 08:07 PM
I am surprised that nobody named 7-UP. Likewise Stewart's Root Beer.

LittleB
12-21-05, 08:10 PM
Diet Coke just doesn't have the right bouquet for me, it's not pleasing to my pallet.... :duck:

I actually drink Diet Coke or Diet Dr. Pepper, and I like it better since I have been drinking it for so long. I can drink regular but it just seems so sweet/strong LOL it's weird.

Kev
12-21-05, 08:21 PM
I am surprised that nobody named 7-UP. Likewise Stewart's Root Beer.Or

http://www.price-club.co.jp/cgi-bin/tkxdoc/goods_img/Canada%20Dry%20Ginger%20Ale%20L.jpg

and who can resist

http://www.ta-sports.net/fitness/soda/root.jpg

in the frosty cold mug! ;)

Boombotz
12-21-05, 10:58 PM
I like Pepsi over coke! I like diet Coke over diet Pepsi. Don't ask but there really is a big difference. I like coke with Vanilla syrup that I put in but not the Vanilla coke they marketed. I hate the Vanilla Pepsi. I don't like lemon in any drink and I hate water. So basically it is iced tea, juice, or soda for me. I try to force myself 2 glasses of water a day.

dbdartman
12-22-05, 12:43 AM
Southern style sweet tea for me, thank you.

Coke, Pepsi's too sweet.

Stewart's RULES! :highfive: Frosty mug on a window tray... :cloud9:

ben72227
12-22-05, 01:29 AM
Stewarts Orange n' Creme is the best. It's just that I can only get it at Cracker Barrel around here:helpless:.

Best Root Beer though is A&W or Mug. Barks is gross; tastes like they're trying to give root beer that dr.pepper burn...and it just doesn't work...:nono:

CaddyCrisis
12-22-05, 03:47 AM
PEPSI and MT. DEW CODE RED!

LaneWvr
12-22-05, 05:24 AM
Cherry vanilla Dr pepper is my fav.

LaneWvr
12-22-05, 05:25 AM
Oh forgot Mt. Dew Livewire best orange pop ever!

Playdrv4me
12-22-05, 07:33 AM
Also, depending on where you are, and possibly only in the south, you might get to experience Dr. Pepper still made with real cane sugar rather than HFCS. Best thing ever.

Rolex
12-22-05, 10:38 AM
Diet Dr. Peper is the nectar of the gods. Served cold right out of the can. I could dive head first into a bucket of the stuff. :rolleyes:

Sandy
12-22-05, 10:44 AM
Okay, listen up people.
People might tell that soda is bad for you. Not true. My parents lived to age 81, They were the original soda-kings! I was drinking Soda as a daily beverage by age 13. For you who are so swayed by advertising and likewise by peer acceptence and therefore cannot get past the Coke/Pepsi/Coke/Pepsi/Coke/Pepsi syndrome.....try this week, the absolute best, now in it's 100th year of constant production R/C (Royal Crown) Cola. 2 or 3 cans and you'll kick that nasty Coke/Pepsi habit !

BUT, I'll let you all in on a secret! In April of any given year, I dump the R/C and go to Coke ! Now, pay close attention. All colas have in them CORN SYRUP (read your labels). Corn Syrup is a long life shelf life sweetner.

Now CORN is made from WHEAT. We are not allowed to consume any products containing WHEAT during Passover in April, thusly the Matzoh, which has no wheat in it.

Now, Coke is aware of this and during the month of MARCH of any given year, area bottlers put out regular coke and diet coke made without corn syrup and instead using PURE CANE SUGAR ! Now, this Pure Cane Sugar (PCS) has a shelf life of 75 days, that is it! So, made in March, it's no good after May 5th. In addition to not having Corn Syrup and HAVING PCS they also omit the Potassium Benzodate which is the preservative. No need to have a preservative when it's all gonna sell out by the 3rd week of April !
The combination of PCS in liew of corn syrup and the lack of P.B. make for the greatest soda on earth (for 1 month).

It's difficult to find. Best bet is national chain, big city stores. It will bear a stamp (you'll have to look for it. Each seperate bottler uses a differnt type of stamp and puts it in a different location!!!!!) The stamp says" Kosher-for-Passover" ~ Product unsold by April 23rd is returned. Best time to get it is the 1st week of April. The price is the normal price, it's not marked up.
It's a once a year super treat for Cola worshipers, such as myslef. Otherwise, it's back to R/C cola, still better than the "big - 2"

Kev, I used to drinkl Shasta Cola once in a while. Have not seen any store shelves in 10 years.....you have it by you ? Who makes it ?

HotRodSaint
12-22-05, 11:11 AM
Kosher Coke sounds like my kind of Coke.

And I'm with Sandy, R/C cola beats the others hands down.

They tried to introduce a draft cola in a bottle a few years back, and it was the best ever cola. Unfortunatley I was the only person who thought so, so they dropped it.

If R/C isn't available, and it's not available anywhere except at grandmas house, then I prefer Pepsi over Coke. Unless they have Cherry Coke, or Vanilla Coke, I will purchase Dr. Pepper or Mr. Pibb.

McDonalds has the worst tasting Coke product available to man. Well, the onl;y worst tasting is those fast food establishments that give you a higher water to syrup formula. Nothing worse than taking a swig of carbonated water that has a tinge of cola flavor!

Now, the other way to get sugar in your cola products, is to buy a bottled Pepsi or Coke off of a roach coach that caters to migrant workers. Many of them in SoCal import their Pepsi and Coke products from Mexico, which still uses sugar.

No matter what the brand, glass bottles are prefered, cans second and then it doesn't really matter because it's all down hill.

Sandy
12-22-05, 11:22 AM
Using this theory, the best soda would then be Kosher Coke, in April, in Mexico, in Glass bottles. I'll book a flight to Mexico in April :)

(Seriously, I doubt very much that Kosher Coke is EVER sold in Mexico.) R/C was out in special collector glass bottle in August of this year to celebrate 100 years manufacturing R/C cola. I got 24 of them & have 12 left. They were a remake of the 100 year old bottle. I paid dearly for them. $ 2.66 cents a bottle = 24 bottles for $ 63.85. They are now on e-bay selling for $6.00 each.

HotRodSaint
12-22-05, 11:30 AM
(Seriously, I doubt very much that Kosher Coke is EVER sold in Mexico.)

You'd be very suprised how many of your tribsman live in Mexico City!!

Latin America was one of the few areas to allow the Jewish people to migrate during the holocaust. Most of the major latin American capitol cities have very large Jewish populations.

And where Kosher is needed, Kosher is sold. But they might be imported from the USA or Israel.

Jesda
12-22-05, 11:40 AM
Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper.

Sandy
12-22-05, 11:47 AM
I was just being funny, HRS, and yes, I bow to you, you are correct about Mexico. When my own Mother - as a 20-something esacped Nazi Germany she made her way to Italy, learned to speak Italian (along with her German & English) and from a year in Italy made her way to Mexico and then snuck into El Paso and finally became a Citizen of America. She oft spoke of Mexico and how it felt like "safe terrirtory" ~

Kev
12-22-05, 01:13 PM
Kev, I used to drinkl Shasta Cola once in a while. Have not seen any store shelves in 10 years.....you have it by you ? Who makes it ?Shasta Beverages, Inc. (http://www.shastapop.com/index.html) in Hayward, CA. We can get them in many grocery stores here in CA. They are sold for $0.99 at our local 99Cent Only store, I bought a 12 pack at Foods Co for $1.98 + crv.

When I was about 13 my grandparents came for a visit in my Grandfather's home-made motor home. In their refrigerator was an impressive (to a poor 13 yr old) collection of Shasta sodas. Of course they were all diet. One of which was diet chocolate! I had never tried it before and it sounded intriguing, wonderful, so I asked my Grandmother for one. :shocked2: :vomit:
It was nasty!!!

DBA-One
12-22-05, 01:55 PM
It's very rare for me to have it but cream soda is my favorite. Not cheap stuff, either.

gdwriter
12-22-05, 06:01 PM
I am surprised that nobody named 7-UP.

I like 7-Up. But I like it best with vodka! :alchi:

HotRodSaint
12-23-05, 01:06 AM
I was just being funny, HRS, and yes, I bow to you, you are correct about Mexico.

I was an international sales manager in a previous position, and latin America was one of my territories, so I've been fortunate to see some of the major latin American cities.

And if you haven't already, you really should write a book. You got some really interesting stories.

Back to sodas, I had a real good soda in Malaysia last year. It was called something Red. It's supposed to be an American soda, but I never saw it here before. I'd like to find it.

And in LA, there is a soda shop that specializes in bottled sodas using real sugar. I need to find that shop too!!

Sandy
12-23-05, 01:21 AM
What kinda of book would you suggest I write that would sell a few copies?

I've seen that something red, as you call it. I'll look for it, tomorrow.

Kev
12-23-05, 12:00 PM
What kinda of book would you suggest I write that would sell a few copies?

I've seen that something red, as you call it. I'll look for it, tomorrow."Memoirs & Anecdotes" :cool2:

Sandy
12-23-05, 04:58 PM
Ummmm...I don't know. I am a too modest & humble kinda personality to think that I have something to offer in the literary world. :rolleyes:

Kev
12-23-05, 06:17 PM
Ummmm...I don't know. I am a too modest & humble kinda personality to think that I have something to offer in the literary world. :rolleyes:I know what you mean, I'm the same way. In fact, the only attribute of mine that exceeds my humility is my good looks..... :p :duck:

Sandy
12-23-05, 07:11 PM
Hey, in this world we live in .... Good Looks is very high on the "I NEED IT" lists! Look at Hollywood. 1/2 of the "stars" are no more talanted than the average schmendrick (Yiddish word) but they look DIE-NA-MIGHT !

mccombie_5
12-23-05, 07:16 PM
Hey, in this world we live in .... Good Looks is very high on the "I NEED IT" lists! Look at Hollywood. 1/2 of the "stars" are no more talanted than the average schmendrick (Yiddish word) but they look DIE-NA-MIGHT !

Thats true...

I can honestly say that my daughter can go far because of her looks, she is gorgeous, she ahs a beautiful voice too. I have a superstar on my hands :D

Kev
12-23-05, 07:21 PM
Thats true...

I can honestly say that my daughter can go far because of her looks, she is gorgeous, she ahs a beautiful voice too. I have a superstar on my hands :DShe must take after Claire no doubt! :duck:
:thepan:

mccombie_5
12-23-05, 07:22 PM
She must take after Claire no doubt! :duck:
:thepan:

She does! Shes like a young Angleina Jolie..

Kev
12-23-05, 07:25 PM
She does! Shes like a young Angleina Jolie..And, luckily for her, she's had a better rearing!

mccombie_5
12-23-05, 07:26 PM
And, luckily for her, she's had a better rearing!

:yup:

Only th best for my Jessica

daddy's girl.

Kev
12-23-05, 07:28 PM
:yup:

Only th best for my Jessica

daddy's girl.Alright! :highfive:

mccombie_5
12-23-05, 07:30 PM
Alright! :highfive:

im dreading:

"Dad can I borrow the Mercedes"

Kev
12-23-05, 07:33 PM
Hey, in this world we live in .... Good Looks is very high on the "I NEED IT" lists! Look at Hollywood. 1/2 of the "stars" are no more talanted than the average schmendrick (Yiddish word) but they look DIE-NA-MIGHT !A bunch of meshunginas with the shayna punim! :cool:

Kev
12-23-05, 07:34 PM
im dreading:

"Dad can I borrow the Mercedes"Hey, it could be worse.... "Daddy, may I have the Mercedes, please?"

mccombie_5
12-23-05, 07:35 PM
Hey, it could be worse.... "Daddy, may I have the Mercedes, please?"

Oh dear lord I never thought of that

Kev
12-23-05, 07:39 PM
Oh dear lord I never thought of thatJust be thankful you don't have more than one daughter!

mccombie_5
12-23-05, 07:41 PM
Just be thankful you don't have more than one daughter!

LOL

I feel for ya!

£4,000 on presents this year for her :suspense:

The lads are far more modest in the ir requests.

Boombotz
12-24-05, 07:21 AM
Back to sodas, I had a real good soda in Malaysia last year. It was called something Red. It's supposed to be an American soda, but I never saw it here before. I'd like to find it.

If you are talking about Big Red, I just had some at someones house. They said they got it at Walmart. I thought they bought it from overseas, cause I never seen it or heard of it before. It was a good Cherry cola flavor.

Playdrv4me
12-24-05, 12:09 PM
Im surprised they found Big Red in Florida. Its another thing that is kind of exclusive to South Texas. At least I thought it was.

I used to be a Dr. Pepper fiend, but I go through stages with it now. Sometimes I like it alot, and other times I think it tastes like Cough Syrup.