: Any options worth it?

Kadonny
12-21-05, 01:14 PM
For 06 the listed (dealer installed and factory) options are:

1. Carbon fiber intake lid and brace (GM claims let weight, but it has to be nominal)

2. FG2 shock package

3. Polished aluminum wheels (open spoke type)

4. Eagle F1 high performance tires

So, if ordering car, would you add any of the above options? The spare set of wheels with some GSD3s would be nice though ;)

Anyone know if the RSA's are experiencing less hop?

thefly
12-21-05, 02:16 PM
fg2 would be worth if you were planning on it later (you would save labor on them). RSA's are V-rated. i haven't had any wheel hop yet, though i haven't tried to launch. though on 1->2 shifts you will get wheel spin. since mine is a daily driver, i will just get a second set of wheels/tires for track days. optional wheels i am out on the fence on, cause a nice set off ccw's could be nice...

Davidstan
12-21-05, 02:55 PM
My 06 does not hop but just a little compared to the 05 i test drove a few months ago. the 05 had the W tires and my 06 has the RSA.

trekster
12-21-05, 03:26 PM
Fg2's are worth every penny.....well that's what the guys say.

Kadonny
12-21-05, 04:01 PM
Fg2's are worth every penny.....well that's what the guys say.
What do FG2s do exactly? Are you increasing handling at the expense of ride quality?
I honeslty do like the 04/05 center caps better, that might be my first mod :lildevil:
How is the stock exhaust for you new 06 guys since it is a daily driver? Are either of you planning on swapping exhaust?

calicadi
12-21-05, 10:01 PM
What do FG2s do exactly? Are you increasing handling at the expense of ride quality?
I honeslty do like the 04/05 center caps better, that might be my first mod :lildevil:
How is the stock exhaust for you new 06 guys since it is a daily driver? Are either of you planning on swapping exhaust?
They're valved to keep the tire in contact with the road better. That means, compared to stock shocks, there is more resistance to the wheel getting pushed up and they allow the spring to act quicker in getting the wheel back down.

Ride quality is very subjective. I would encourage you to find an FG2 owner in your area and bum a ride. If you don't think you'd care for any additional degree of stiffer ride, stick with stock. There's nothing wrong with those.

GM did their homework on these. Combined with Hotchkis anti-roll bars the V is a fantastic road machine. The character of additional stiffness is not noticable around town. I only notice it at freeway speeds when the surface is consistently poor over a distance. The up-side is a more secure feeling that all four are planted... no more skittering when you're rotating through a corner under power.

Davidstan
12-22-05, 06:59 AM
i'll probably stay w/ the stock exhaust for now. Had borla on my last car that was the best mod ever for me. I like the stock sound of the 06 V.

Dick's06Vee
12-22-05, 07:14 AM
I agree with Thefly. No wheel hop issues for me either. I've not launched the car and have no plans to do so, but under hard first gear acceleration rolling from about 20MPH with the traction control off, zero hop but plenty of spin. Like others, because I need winter traction, I will glady sacrafice some performance/handling of the RSAs. 600 miles on the car at this point and I just couldn't be happier with the car. Should I get serious about tracking the car, then I'll opt for a second set of wheels and tires.

Kadonny
12-22-05, 08:03 AM
Nice report...........thanks guys.

BowenCT
12-22-05, 09:42 AM
FG2s w/ Ground Control coilovers and Hotchkis sways.............now that's the ticket!!!!

NIK
12-22-05, 09:46 AM
I agree with Thefly. No wheel hop issues for me either. I've not launched the car and have no plans to do so, but under hard first gear acceleration rolling from about 20MPH with the traction control off, zero hop but plenty of spin. Like others, because I need winter traction, I will glady sacrafice some performance/handling of the RSAs. 600 miles on the car at this point and I just couldn't be happier with the car. Should I get serious about tracking the car, then I'll opt for a second set of wheels and tires.

How is the "road noise?" Despite all the negative reports I've read on the RS-A's, I'm considering them for several reasons; (a) I don't track the car (b) I don't want to replace my tires every 9-10,000 miles (c) I want a run-flat (d) I want an all-season tire. I drive my car year-round - though I don't drive it in snow normally, I want some peace of mind should I get caught in a snow situation and at least have a fighting chance. Any comments would be appreciated.