: 97-99 Deville Concours V. 94-96 FWB

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 01:03 PM
Hey I was wondering what driveability differences there are between the 97-99 Deville Concours and the 94-96 Fleetwood Brougham. They are both the biggest sedans of their time with massively powerful V8's. One is a cammer and the other is a good old pushrod. I'd imagine the Concours handles better while the FWB rides smoother. Which is quieter? Which is smoother, which handles better? Which is more powerful? I know the Concours is definetly more modern and sportier, while the FWB is simpler and more "old school"

mccombie_5
12-21-05, 01:20 PM
Hey I was wondering what driveability differences there are between the 97-99 Deville Concours and the 94-96 Fleetwood Brougham. They are both the biggest sedans of their time with massively powerful V8's. One is a cammer and the other is a good old pushrod. I'd imagine the Concours handles better while the FWB rides smoother. Which is quieter? Which is smoother, which handles better? Which is more powerful? I know the Concours is definetly more modern and sportier, while the FWB is simpler and more "old school"

I would imagine the FWB is going to be more driveable, and be a bit more fun to drive since its RWD and the Deville is FWD

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 01:23 PM
interesting....You would imagine that the deville concours would be more fun because of all that technology, but in the end the simple FWB wins out because of the RWD....

90Brougham350
12-21-05, 01:29 PM
You'd enjoy the seat-of-the-pants feel of the LT-1 in the FWB more than the DeVille, it would be snappier around town, especially with the 4VP option.

Caddy Man
12-21-05, 01:36 PM
Id rather take a fleetwood of those years than a Deville anyday!!!

addison_ii
12-21-05, 03:17 PM
The FWB will have a quicker launch because of the pushrod engine/RWD having more low end torque. But in a race the Concours would win because it has more high end horsepower. The FWB would also provide the best ride since it's body-on frame constructed(I think). Both are excellent vehicles but my vote goes to the FWB(biased partially because I want one) However based on our MN winter so far the Concours would edge out over the FWB, then again the FWB has traction control so I'd get them both

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 03:20 PM
yeah thanks for the input, but the Concours is arguably more of a "drivers car" because it has full instrumentation and a console setup instead of the Broughams 6 passenger configuration and digital dash. The guages really matter a lot to me though. And the Concours has a lot more high tech gadgets, stabilitrak for one. Which has better seats? Which is more comfortable?

mccombie_5
12-21-05, 03:21 PM
Interesting opinions.

Technically the FWB should walk all over the Deville, mainly because its in the next class up, its an entire class bigger, and should be an entire class faster and better.

Not always the case though, fortunately.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 03:24 PM
Fleetwood Brougham= throwback to the '70s (good though :) )
Deville Concours= modern full size sport sedan (good in another way)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 03:26 PM
yeah addison where ya been my minnesota brother? (90 Brougham 350 is other minnesota brother)

addison_ii
12-21-05, 03:44 PM
Here some interior dimension figures for a 96 FWB
Exterior
Length: 225 in. Width: 78 in.
Height: 57.1 in. Wheel Base: 121.5 in.
Ground Clearance: 5.5 in. Curb Weight: 4448 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 38.7 in. Front Hip Room: 59.2 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 64.3 in. Rear Head Room: 39.1 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 64 in. Rear Hip Room: 59.8 in.
Front Leg Room: 42.5 in. Rear Leg Room: 43.9 in.
Luggage Capacity: 21.1 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 6 and here are some for the 99 Concours
Exterior
Length: 209.8 in. Width: 76.5 in.
Height: 56 in. Wheel Base: 113.8 in.
Curb Weight: 4063 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 38.5 in. Front Hip Room: 58.1 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 60.9 in. Rear Head Room: 38.4 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 60.8 in. Rear Hip Room: 57.3 in.
Front Leg Room: 42.6 in. Rear Leg Room: 43.3 in.
Luggage Capacity: 20 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 5

I agree that the Concours is more driver oriented while the FWB focuses on old school comfort. The FWB has only 10.6 inches of more interior space than the Concours but, as stated the Concours will have more modern items and instrumentation. Surprisingly though the prices I've seen for the Concours are lower than some prices I've seen for FWB(??)

addison_ii
12-21-05, 03:47 PM
I've been a little busy with my fledgling entrepenuer venture. So I haven't been on the forums a lot lately. But I'm working my back. :D

90Brougham350
12-21-05, 04:03 PM
yeah addison where ya been my minnesota brother? (90 Brougham 350 is other minnesota brother)

:highfive:

Katshot
12-21-05, 04:04 PM
This may surprise you all but, I think the Concours would have a better seat of the pants feel than the Fleetwood. A "stock" Fleetwood feels kind of sluggish and porky if you ask me. The Concours feels much "tighter" by comparison IMO. Don't get me wrong, I love the Fleetwood but unless you do some mods to it, the car's anything but a "driver's car". As for a drag race, stock vs. stock my money is on the Concours too.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 05:44 PM
Katshot, if its anything like my LT1 Roadmaster was, its very quick, but it doesnt handle at all, and its very very solid and quiet.

DBA-One
12-21-05, 06:04 PM
To me talking about which Caddy wins in a drag race isn't worth the time. All it needs is enough power to get out of it's own way and both cars have this. I'd personally take the Deville because the FWB wouldn't fit in my garage. In a car like the Caddy, and in good weather FWD vs RWD isn't really much of an issue to me either outside of tourque steer, I hate that.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 06:59 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac/fleetwood/95flt.jpg
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac/deville/98con.jpg
Which do you think is better looking?

DBA-One
12-21-05, 07:04 PM
The second car. I hate fender skirts or un-radiused wheel arches. I hated the Deville until they did something about that.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 07:05 PM
Radiused wheel arches?

mccombie_5
12-21-05, 07:18 PM
The Deville looks much smarter. I would rather step out of a Deville than a Fleetwood at a formal or something.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 07:39 PM
The deville looks much more modern, you would expect to see a high level business man driving this, but the Fleetwood Brougham catered to the older Cadillac loyal clientele, this was the sort of car you would expect to see at a Country Club.

mccombie_5
12-21-05, 07:59 PM
The deville looks much more modern, you would expect to see a high level business man driving this, but the Fleetwood Brougham catered to the older Cadillac loyal clientele, this was the sort of car you would expect to see at a Country Club.

Im not even sure Id want to step out of a Fleetwood at a country club, the front end seems too BIG, the grilel and lights are wrong

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 08:22 PM
The FWB seems like the sort of car a big Texan rancher would drive..Very Brash, bold, and BIG!

mccombie_5
12-22-05, 09:18 PM
The FWB seems like the sort of car a big Texan rancher would drive..Very Brash, bold, and BIG!

Yeah, I prefer my Delicate Deville, I like the Fleetwood, but its unlikely I'll own one.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-22-05, 09:43 PM
Didnt you almost buy one instead of a W140?

mccombie_5
12-23-05, 04:43 AM
Didnt you almost buy one instead of a W140?

I was thinking of one, but its going to be too much fuss to import another car, I swore I wouldnt do it again after the Escalade - 6 months later i broguth the Sedan Deville in :bonkers:

It would be nice to own the Cadillac of Cadillacs, but unless I get one when i retire to Canada I wont be owning one.

Katshot
12-23-05, 08:42 AM
Maybe I'm in the minority here but I buy cars that I like, regardless of what someone else might think of it. Besides, with a little modding, any car can be made more accepted by any given group of people. Hell, when I bought my Fleetwood, most people frowned. When they see it now, they grin!

Randy_W
12-23-05, 08:53 AM
Maybe I'm in the minority here but I buy cars that I like, regardless of what someone else might think of it. Besides, with a little modding, any car can be made more accepted by any given group of people. Hell, when I bought my Fleetwood, most people frowned. When they see it now, they grin!

Kat, I agree with you again. Too many people buy cars to satisfy others, why do you think BMW's are so popular amoung the yuppie crowd??:histeric:

mccombie_5
12-23-05, 08:58 AM
why do you think BMW's are so popular amoung the yuppie crowd??:histeric:

Its a good point, they ARE good cars, but the people who buy htem often cant appreciate them!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-23-05, 02:18 PM

I agree with you too Kat, I mean how many other 17 year olds buy Cadillacs and Buick Roadmasters? ( I was 17 at the time, now I'm 18) I bought those because they are what I like, and I didnt care what anyone else said. And believe me, I got a lot of crap for owning "granny cars".

Adam
12-23-05, 09:27 PM
the Fleetwood looks a whole lot better imo. the car screams classy. the Concours is nice, dont get me wrong, but i would take a Fleetwood over a Deville anyday. to tell you guys the truth though, i really think Cadillac screwed the Fleetwood over cause it was in its final years. all the stuff in the Devilles (uh 97-99 that is) should have been in the Fleetwood through its last 4 years. the Fleetwood Brougham was always the highest luxury Cadillac you could get next to the Eldorado which is why the two sported the wreath when they first started it. however in the mid 90s they turned the tables. no matter what though, i would always and will always choose a Fleetwood over any Deville, yes even over a brand new fully loaded DTS. i had the chance to buy a 2000 DHS and got a Fleetwood instead. now im on the hunt for another one, need to find one for around 2k if ya'll can help (when and if you get a chance).

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-23-05, 11:15 PM
I just searched the entire country for 93-96's FWB's....couldnt find ONE for under $3995.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-23-05, 11:17 PM
No wait...I searched autotrader.com and I found two for under $2500, both are 1993's.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-23-05, 11:19 PM
Yeah.....Cadillac should have made the devilles features and options available in the Fleetwood...that would have made the most sense considering the history of the nameplate. But Cadillac didnt spend that much time/money on it because they knew the FWBs would be dead in a matter of time...a short matter of time.

gotthavecaddi
10-16-07, 08:10 AM
as a owner of a 94 concours it comes with many luxuries yes but they bring many PROBLEMS along too! Love the car dont get me wrong, but we had an older fleetwood and the lack of "techical extras" made it seem like less of a head ache!